Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 AM

27 posts, read 76,163 times

Advertisements

Hi. I"m moving from Maine to work in the Sanford, NC area. I'm a single woman who enjoys going for long walks, hiking, kayaking, etc.. I don't want to spend and arm and leg on rent if I can help it. Where is the best town/area to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 AM

279 posts, read 702,410 times
Where from in Maine? No help on where to live since I am not familiar with Sanford area.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times
my mom (single) lived in sanford for a year, and according to her, it was a year too long. The cheap rent wasnt worth it. LOL

perhaps those more familiar with the area can give suggestions on areas to look in or avoid. I dont remember what complex she lived in- i only visited her out there once.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
You might like living in Pittsboro better...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,658 times
Holly Springs is nice and within a half hour drive to Sanford.

Apex would be another option (depending on if you can get something with easy access to rt. 1).

What part of Maine are you moving from?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
You might like living in Pittsboro better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Holly Springs is nice and within a half hour drive to Sanford.

Apex would be another option (depending on if you can get something with easy access to rt. 1).

What part of Maine are you moving from?

BOTH are very good suggestions. While there are some areas of Sanford that are ok for people, I would look near Sanford like Pittsboro and even Fuquay Varina..

Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
I worked in Sanford for the first year I lived here. I wouldn't go back again. It's a trashy little town. Typical NC view of "historic," meaning it's a few run-down old buildings. There's virtually nowhere good to eat, go out, etc. I lived in Massachusetts for 9 years directly prior, and my overall opinion of Maine isn't great but there's some really nice places in terms of cities and beaches there. Depends where you're from in Maine, because maybe Sanford would be not bad to you. If you're from Portland or something, I'd say try Pittsboro. Really any place like Holly Springs, Apex, whatever would be way better. What draws you to Sanford instead of Raleigh/Durham? Just the rents, or other things? I know coming from MA I was blown away at the cheap rent down here. Not worth it in my opinion to live in Sanford to save rent money when it's already so much cheaper. Just my thoughts and opinions... I don't mean to offend.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 PM

279 posts, read 702,410 times
I don't think the OP necessarily wants to live in Sanford. Says she will be working in Sanford and is looking for suggestions on where to live close to there. I am from the Portland area and settled in Clayton, its not really for me. I will more than likely move back. If not, I may check out the Holly Springs area.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
If you like golf at all, consider the area to the SW of there, toward Southern Pines and Aberdeen (known as "The Sandhills" area). Tons of golf courses there; the US Open has been held in Pinehurst twice since 1999. It does tend to be a retirement area, and you're not that age, but there are plenty of non-retired folks there. Lots of lakes and other recreation if you like boating. A plus for the Sandhills (my father lives there) is that it's kind of in between the Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte if you will find yourself going to any/all of those (for concerts, shows, etc--or even for airports since some airlines or direct flights go from one airport but not the others)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary