Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

About two weeks ago, my front neighbor told me they saw a large bird of prey sitting on my front porch clawing at the mat.

Then, a week later, my next door neighbor called to tell me that what appeared to be a large hawk was sitting ON MY CAR which was parked INSIDE MY GARAGE and was clawing at the rear roof and window. Sure enough, I went out and found the scratch marks on it.

That same day, I went to work in my secondary garage and left the main garage door open and kept an ear out. A few minutes later, it was back. It heard me coming towards it, took a nice tour of my garage, and promptly hightailed it up to some trees...

Then today I read this:

Attacking hawks keep family indoors | wtsp.com

My question is, has anyone else experienced these close encounters with scary, large, birds of prey? If so, what did you do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Just the vultures that seem to be circling overhead everywhere I go lately. Think it means anything?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
I saw five of them today when I went to take my dog for a walk. They were just hanging out in the parking lot of a school just down the road from my apartment complex. Honest to goodness, they were bigger then my dog..A LOT bigger. They also seemed more like buzzards then hawks as they had a buzzard like head (no feathers?). I grabbed up my dog and walked as fast as my decrepit body would allow back to my apartment.

Last weekend I counted 47 falcons or hawks, not sure which, flying overhead as I sat on my porch. They weren't circling like I normally see them do, they seemed to be migrating. Now I don't know if those were hawks or buzzards but they didn't seem as big as what I saw today.

ETA: I'm now afraid to let my dog go in and out the patio door. He loves to sit in the sun when it's nice or just lay out there and look around (weather permitting) but I'm afraid one of these beast will try and grab him.

Scary.

Last edited by second right; 04-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: added more information

Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
We see large birds too from time to time, especially hawks. They like to sit on low branches to spot their prey then bounce.
I noticed a local pic of one in the Wednesday N&O free North Raleigh paper this week.

Frank

Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 PM

240 posts, read 627,802 times
Secondright, you were probably seeing vultures. I doubt there would be that many hawks or falcons considering they are typically more territorial.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
I saw five of them today when I went to take my dog for a walk. They were just hanging out in the parking lot of a school just down the road from my apartment complex. Honest to goodness, they were bigger then my dog..A LOT bigger. They also seemed more like buzzards then hawks as they had a buzzard like head (no feathers?). I grabbed up my dog and walked as fast as my decrepit body would allow back to my apartment.

Last weekend I counted 47 falcons or hawks, not sure which, flying overhead as I sat on my porch. They weren't circling like I normally see them do, they seemed to be migrating. Now I don't know if those were hawks or buzzards but they didn't seem as big as what I saw today.

ETA: I'm now afraid to let my dog go in and out the patio door. He loves to sit in the sun when it's nice or just lay out there and look around (weather permitting) but I'm afraid one of these beast will try and grab him.

Scary.
When I lived in rural Arizona,you did not leave small pets outside,especially at night.If the coyotes didn't get them, the owls would.Our cat had a sixth sense,if she was outside at dusk she would start to hide under something.She just knew it.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
Whatever I've seen, they have scared me half to death..and I'm half way there already..

But, there was one other time a couple years ago when I was out talking to neighbors and we all had are dogs with us. This bird, I feel like it was a hawk came at us talons spread and swooped down.

Mind you, I'm in downtown Wake Forest, off of S. Franklin Street. It is all so strange. When I lived in Raleigh, I never ever saw such a thing.

samdan, thanks for the heads up about the owls. My downstairs neighbor called me one night and said she was out walking her dog when she heard a screech and then the unmistakable flapping of and owl. I haven't heard it yet but I certainly am not taking any chances.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
I doubt they could pick up my 2 year old, but they could do some damage. I wouldn't want her (or my wife, or me) getting hurt. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I showed a house in a North Raleigh n'hood called "Hawk's Nest" a while back. It is a small cul-de-sac and sure enough, in the tops of the trees was a HUGE HAWK!

Like everyone else, they read that Raleigh was the best place to live and so they relocated!

Or...RDU Biker...wasn't there an episode of Twilight Zone where the bird of death kept following some guy??? BE CAREFUL!!!

Vciki

Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
In Raleigh not long ago, from my bathroom window, I watched a large hawk devour a live baby bird on a pine tree limb. It was disgusting yet fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
Whatever I've seen, they have scared me half to death..and I'm half way there already..

But, there was one other time a couple years ago when I was out talking to neighbors and we all had are dogs with us. This bird, I feel like it was a hawk came at us talons spread and swooped down.

Mind you, I'm in downtown Wake Forest, off of S. Franklin Street. It is all so strange. When I lived in Raleigh, I never ever saw such a thing.

samdan, thanks for the heads up about the owls. My downstairs neighbor called me one night and said she was out walking her dog when she heard a screech and then the unmistakable flapping of and owl. I haven't heard it yet but I certainly am not taking any chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary