Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:10 PM

63 posts, read 137,127 times

Advertisements

I would like some information regarding construction in the Durham and Raleigh area. While searching through listings of homes (on sites like Realtor.com, etc.) it is apparent that most homes do not have basements. I am curious as to why not.
Regarding crawl spaces vs. slab construction what the advantages and disadvantages of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
We don't have a frost line below which footings have to be placed to prevent heaving. Up north, basements are sort of a "might as well while we're at it" thing - the extra cost is not huge since the builder has to dig down anyway. Here, footings can pretty much be put on the surface with little to no digging. Thus you only tend to see basements on sloped lots.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,281 times
Basements can be done in NC depending on the lay of the land. We don't "dig out" basements here like they do up north. Usually when a basement is built here it's because the land slopes so much from front to back.

Regarding crawl spaces vs. slabs...there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Main hit agains slabs is that should something go wrong with the plumbing, since it's all under the foundation of your home the only way (usually) to access it is to jackhammer through the concrete. Not the case with crawl spaces.

It really boils down to what you are comfortable with. Good luck with you house search!

Old 04-09-2011, 01:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Most homes in NC are built on crawlspaces unless the land is sloping (as the others have mentioned) and you wind up with a daylight basement.

Houses on slabs usually look odd to me around here, but I know they are the norm in many other places.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM

223 posts, read 577,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Houses on slabs usually look odd to me around here, but I know they are the norm in many other places.
Yep, totally agree. There are many beautiful (and often expensive) slab homes that look like they were just "plopped" there.

I would never buy a slab construction home, but that is simply my preference.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Without being agreeable , three strikes for me against a slab:

1.) The "look" - I like front steps.
2.) Access for running cable, repairs, plumbing, etc under the first floor. Additional storage for a lawn mower, wheel barrow, etc
3.) Flooring options and "feel".

Frank

Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
In modern day slabs the plumbing lines do not have joints in the slab so that really minimalizes potential problems. My biggest worry with a slab is the lack of height termites have to travel to get to your wood structural members. Termite inspectors will recommend keeping any mulch a few inches off the slab foundation and maintain a clear line of sight to your slab between the ground and siding. The next biggest concern is radon if you are in an area that has consistently high levels. Concrete develops micro-fractures as it cures and radon gas can seep right through. Slabs and basements are far more susceptible to high radon levels than a crawlspace. The mitigation systems are also more difficult to install than in a crawlspace. There are pockets of concentrated radon in various areas of the triangle. There are also large areas of the triangle where it is virtually never found at any significant level. Most Inspectors and Realtors can give you direction on the areas where it is typically higher than the recommended EPA level of 4.0.

The typical downside with a crawlspace is moisture control. Keep your grading at the foundation sloped away from the house (with clay, not top soil), and the gutters clean and free flowing with extensions on the discharge downspouts to shunt the water away from the house. The foundation vents should be CLOSED all year to prevent humid air intrusion during the warm seasons. I recommend going the extra mile and stick a dehumidifier w/permanent drain in the crawlspace as well to keep equilibrium with the interior of the house in regards to relative humidity. The appliance grade models at your local hardware store will work just fine. This will greatly help deter cupping of wood floors, improve the indoor air quality, and limit expansion/contraction of the wood subfloor with the changes in moisture content of vented crawlspaces. Damp crawlspaces also attract insects/spiders, which attract frogs/toads, which attract snakes. Just something to keep in mind.
The obvious benefit to a crawlspace is access. You can work on or expand plumbing, electrical, surround sound, etc.
Feel free to ask any additional questions and I will bore you with all the details you want.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
As detailed above, the moisture issue with crawl spaces is real...I redid mine last year due to excessive moisture. The cost of materials to close it in was high but well worth it...approx. $500 for 15mil vapor retarder (2400 sq/ft) and tape, another $150 for pressure treated lumber (vapor barrier run up the walls to within 3" of top of foundation), $50 in waterproof sealant for the walls, $80 for a .22cal nail gun and shot/nails to attach the glued/taped/framed barrier to the foundation. I wish I had not kept the vented crawl space as long as I did. Not to talk you out of a house with a crawl space but if you're buying new have the builder do the sealed space. Contracting out the work that I did, I'm told, would have cost in the ballpark of $3-4k.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM

248 posts, read 754,533 times
Alot of Pre 60's house's have basements (mine was built in 1960). Mold and mildew are big problems in crawl spaces because they aren't condition or dehumidified. Most homeonwer are scared of they crawls and have no idea how bad they are. I would personally look for a house with a basement over crawl and slab only if it is a ranch , so you can upgrade it if necessary. my 2 cents

Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
I am in probably 750 crawlspaces a year, and clients join me for the venture maybe 10 times out of 750 lol. It is a very important place to keep your eye on, but it seems to be so intimidating to homeowners that it just ends up neglected. It really isn't too bad under there, I promise! The longer the moist conditions exist, the more expensive it can be to fix. The best time of year to look would be summer during long stretches of high humidity (look for condensation forming on ducts, plumbing lines, hvac equipment). Run your plumbing fixtures for 10-15 minutes beforehand so you can potentially spot leaks as well. If anyone wants detailed advice on signs to look for, feel free to ask.
C_Lan, Good job, I know it is not the most fun place to work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary