Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM

52 posts, read 195,220 times

Advertisements

Does the existing public transit system in Raleigh work well?

Are the buses on time?

Are the stops spaced out conveniently or do you have to walk for miles to get to the nearest stop?

Do the buses arrive at convenient intervals or do you have to wait an hour between each bus?

Does the bus system cover the city well or are the stops mostly concentrated downtown?

I've heard that the bus system is pretty good if you just want to move around downtown Raleigh. But outside of that, I've heard it's a whole other story.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
For this question: Does the bus system cover the city well or are the stops mostly concentrated downtown?

...I guess how good it is depends upon where you live. Here is the schedule:
Capital Area Transit Bus Routes and Schedules - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

I rarely see buses and don't know anyone who rides one. The Triangle is generally a suburbia/car culture.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
I've tried to look into it a few times, but the routes and connections would have taken my commute from 20 minutes to over an hour.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
It's honestly not very effective, not so much because buses are late or anything, but stops are not very convenient, the routes can be really difficult to plan with the need to change buses frequently. It's just not a great bus system, although I do know people who use it!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
The buses in Raleigh are OK but not great. Most of the city was built from the 1960s on, and was built with the assumption that everyone has a car.

If you are looking to use the bus, you can make it work well enough if you take bus routes, schedules, and stops into consideration when you choose where to live. Obviously, you can't live in a cul-de-sac off Durant Road and expect to have a bus roll by your door every 10 minutes.

Some routes are pretty frequent with buses every 15 minutes for much of the day (#1 Capital and #15 WakeMed come to mind), others are every 30 minutes which is not great, and still others are hourly which sucks.

If you are looking to live without a car, I suggest that you live within 10 minutes walk of a grocery store (Nobody likes carrying huge bags of groceries on the bus.) Other than that, live as close to as many bus lines as you can.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
I rode the bus to and from work when I worked downtown. I enjoyed the ride and they were reliable. The bus stop was on my block and dropped be off across the street from my building. I didn't have to ride it anywhere else, but it worked for my needs. You should check out the routes and stops to see if it would logistically work for you. My ride was nice and short.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I actually think it is a pretty decent system given the size of the area. The core of the city is well served. The more car cultured suburbs are less served.

Heck, I lived in Boston for awhile, convenient to a T stop and could take the T most places. But the few times I needed to get somewhere not served by the T, it was a long, bus-changing ordeal that took hours. Not really that different here. If you live along a well served artery and need to get somewhere like downtown, then it can be relatively fast. If you live buried in some suburb and are trying to get somewhere equally obscure, it is going to take awhile.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 PM

52 posts, read 195,220 times
Is it possible to live without a car in Raleigh? Or is it going to be very difficult and annoying to get around ?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Possible? Yes. Practical? No.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I would find it very difficult and annoying.

It might be even more annoying to anyone you might be asking for rides everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman23 View Post
Is it possible to live without a car in Raleigh? Or is it going to be very difficult and annoying to get around ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary