Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,729 times

Advertisements

"That" birthday is fastly approaching and two college friends from long ago days are coming into town to help celebrate. I want to treat them to a really good spa/massage experience and have heard great things about the Spa at the Umstead (which I know is $$$). I see now that there is a now a spa at Fearrington Village. Never being to Fearrington Village, I don't know how it compares. Anyone been to both and can elablorate? Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,321 times
For the spa itself, Umstead is better, hands down.

For a stay, the environment at Fearrington is lovely.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,512 times
I agree that the spa environs at Umstead are really nice. My friend and I stayed overnight and treated ourselves to some spa services at Umstead and really enjoyed it. It is a full-service spa with sauna, etc. but they are quite pricey and kind of snobby. My friend went back later with a different person, who got an infection (hot tub folliculitis) after being there and the staff was very unsympathetic.

For my money, I have been super happy with all the services at Synergy Spa in Raleigh. It's not a full-service day spa but the massages are wonderful (heating pad on massage table!) and the mani/pedis are the best I've ever had!

Have never been to Fearrington...sorry!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,358 times
I guess the hot tub folliculitis came from the whirlpool? Eeks-not a good thing.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM

16 posts, read 35,887 times
I've never been to Umstead, but have been to Fearrington. I'm not sure if they have a spa facility, but I had an in room massage at Fearrington and it was just eh. The surroundings, room, breakfast and dinner there were great though!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
I've been to the Umstead Spa. Beautiful facility. Quite pricey.

I prefer the Skin Sense Spa on Falls of Neuse. I also like Mitchell's at Triangle Towne Center. But what do I know...I always like Iatria!

Vicki

Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,934 times
My husband just treated me to a night at the Umstead for my big birthday in March. I had a massage, facial, pedicure and manicure and it was pretty lovely!! You can hang out there for ages - theres a steam room, hot tub, heated pool. Bring a bathing suit if you go - I didn't (as it was a surprise!).
I haven't had any spa services at the Fearrington - nor have I stayed there.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,809 times
I have done the Umstead and the facility is very nice, love the hotel...first class and you really feel you are getting "away". However, I thought the massage was just so so. Very very light touch, and when she asked "how is the pressure" I said, "it needs to be harder" and she pressed harder for about 2 minutes. Twice the price and 1/2 the result of my regular massage therapist.

My husband also got us the couples massage...something I TOTALLY don't get. What is the deal of you both getting massages by strangers in the same room? Is it supposed to be romantic? Kinda wierd to me, and to him. I would much rather just both get massages and meet back at the spa later. But they sold it to him as being "romantic".

Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Never been to Fearrington. Love Umstead. Very nice facility. Never had a massage there... Hmm... might try it. They do great waxing, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary