Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 AM

492 posts, read 2,108,208 times

Advertisements

Need suggestions for places to camp on weekends his summer.

We don't leave work until 4:00ish on Friday, so here are the parameters:

a) within a 3-4 hour drive of Raleigh
b) real CAMPGROUNDS, not RV parks (we have a pop-top van)
c) state and county parks preferred, National Forest Campgrounds are GREAT, (GSMNP is fine in the off season, but crowded in the summer season).
d) low people-density (we're trying to escape urban areas!)

We're coming from the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas, land of plenty of campgrounds, so we're a little anxious about finding good get-aways.

We were also told at Carolina Beach State Park that no NC State Parks take reservations, so if you're not there by noon on Thursday in the summer, no chance of weekend camping. That's bad news for us.

I suppose we could wait until after Labor Day to begin exploring...we think we'll go to the Outer Banks over Thanksgiving, camp at Cape Hatteras.

HELP! We want to explore NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Hi if you want to explore the mountains and waterfalls my favorite National Park campground is Davidson River Campground it reminds me of a subdivision the way they have the tent sites laid out.

I find this park low density and the tents sites space out decent and good wooded sites as well.
All the sites have restroom shower facilities and I prefer when I stay there to be closest I can to them. All the campsites are good but I prefer to stay all the way in the back or by the river.
They do allow a few RV's but they are only allowed in front section but once you drive on down you forget they are even there in rest of the campground.
You can get a good idea of the campground on this website Facility Details - Davidson River, North Carolina - Recreation.gov (http://www.recreation.gov/nrrs/Davidson_River/Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&agency=NRRS&park Id=204 - broken link)

Bring a intertube and you can float down the davidson river it a blast.
Also check out Sliding Rock but wear an old pair of swim trunks actually denim shorts or after you go down everyone will see your tush.

Another great place for mountain feel but not in the blue ridge and only 2 hours from Cary is the Uwharrie Forest by Badin Lake.

. It is named for the Uwharrie Mountains, some of the oldest in North America. According to geologists, the Uwharries were created from an ancient chain of volcanoes. The 1,000-foot hills of today were once 20,000-foot peaks.

The website also has the other National Parks and campgrounds as well.
Uwharrie NF Recreation Guide (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/ - broken link)

Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post

b) real CAMPGROUNDS, not RV parks (we have a pop-top van)
Clarification of terms please. There are lots of campgrounds that have separate areas for tent camping and RV "camping". Although if you ask me, sleeping in a van is RV camping, but anyway. . . . Is this what you mean by an RV park? I don't have an RV, so I want to understand the difference.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
I think this book has a lot of good suggestions, though not sure if they all accept pop-ups: Amazon.com: The Best in Tent Camping: The Carolinas, 2nd (Best in Tent Camping - Menasha Ridge): Books: Johnny Molloy

Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,208 times
An "RV Park" isn't camping at all -- lots of amenities like electric and sewer hookups at each site, and a layout which resembles a large (though possibly grassy) parking lot.

By campground, I mean something like a NPS or NFS campground, pretty basic with one or two water spigots for the campground, a couple of restrooms, and not able to accomodate a vehicle more than, say 20' long. Maybe a small trailer and pop-up tent. Definitely NOT a place for 35' long RVs.

If there is boondocking in NC (also known as "dispersed camping" in NFS areas, or camping not in campgrounds) we'd like to know about that too.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:15 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Uwharrie National Forest, as mentioned, is less than 2 hrs from the Triangle and has improved, group, and possibly primitive sites. I don't know that it's a place you can just camp anywhere, though.

Within three hours, parts of the Pisgah National Forest are accessible, and they have improved and primitive camping. You can also camp wherever you see fit.

A little further drive and you can get deeper in Pisgah; into Nantahala National Forest; and parts of the George Washington National Forest in Virginia. The GWNF has superb primitive and good improved camping in the Dry River district, I've never camped in the southern parts of the forest.

We went out near Cullowhee NC (WCU) in the Pisgah a few weeks back and it is superb. You're in the Smokies, and there are numerous balds w/ awesome views, and primitive camping everywhere.

Legend has it you can go over to the Outer Banks, turn north towards Corolla, go to the end of the road, and drive up the beach and "camp". It's about 13 miles to the VA border and a national wildlife refuge so you can't go any further. I hear if you have fishing lines in the water it's ok to be on the beach. Many years ago when I lived in VA we used to do this, camp out for the weekend and we never saw anyone else. O yea, 4WD is pretty much a necessity.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 PM

99 posts, read 216,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Hi if you want to explore the mountains and waterfalls my favorite National Park campground is Davidson River Campground it reminds me of a subdivision the way they have the tent sites laid out.
How far away is this campground from Raleigh? And BTW - great information, thanks so much!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Julian Price, off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Blowing Way, may meet the bill. I don't know what their policy is towards large RV vehicles, but they do have spots restricted to tents and some for pull-through vehicles. It is one of the few facilities with showers along the Parkway. Check out Julian Price (Blue Ridge Pkwy) (Nc) recreation area details - North Carolina - Recreation.gov for details. Julian Price is about 3.5 hours from Raleigh, and is one of our favorite places in the NC mountains.

We've been to Julian Price before, but not for camping purposes, and love it. We are going to try our first car-camping experience (using a tent) with our 2-year-old son at Julian Price in just under two weeks - wish us luck!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
HI your welcome.
google maps has it 4.5 but I could make it there in less time and I always think google maps must know im making stops with there time estimates anywhere lol.

You can get there within 4 hours but I go different route than it provides. I get off I 40 in morganton back on Higway 64 and enjoy the ride thru the rolling countryside and foothills. (a great way to see the heart of NC)
Highway 64 goes into brevard the town that is near the campground. I stop there to buy my firewood at one of the local grocery stores.
(ask ranger at the gate if any fire restrictions however).

Old 06-12-2007, 05:55 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Just a quick followup, Uwharrie does allow primitive camping throughout the forest unless an area is posted "No Camping". There are numerous gravel roads suitable for a sedan, so you should be able to find a nice place to camp. Definitely check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary