Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times

Advertisements

We are mid twenties, with a newborn and looking to find a place in the south that will fit us. We are coming from Long Island area. I love NYC and I know I won't be able to find something like that anywhere else. I still want a nice area. Ideally hipster type area (art, music, small quirky shops) but also nice area to raise a child. Looking to rent and probably can do a 2bd 1 ba from 1000. Any area's you would suggest, if any? What's crime like? Traffic? Fun stuff to do for young couple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 PM

51 posts, read 99,412 times
Default Little Help

I live in NYC, and have read these forums for going on 2 years and can tell you a couple of things. First you should really read allot of the posts in this forum that will give you answers to allot of your questions. Second, I have visited the area 4 times in that time (7 days each trip) and would highly recommend you do the same. Saying all that I found the "city" of Raleigh to be very clean and enjoyed my time there. The only area I personally saw that I would consider as "hipster" (using your words) was the Carrboro area near Chapel Hill. I have herd good things about South point in Durham but haven't been there myself. Now finding a good place to raise a family, which was my primary reason for looking there, is a whole lot easier. I would say 90% of Raleigh and the surrounding suburbs are great places to raise a family. I especially like the Wake Forest area, but again this is from my limited experience and I'm sure we all have different tastes. Good Luck to you and you family.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,619 times
I think you would be happier in Durham. Nothing wrong with Raleigh, but Durham is hipper and has more of a city vibe (in the city part of it, that is) Raleigh is quite suburban. And I think your rental dollar might go farther in Durham, but Im not sure.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
So far upon investigating I have found Durham would probably fit the best. Brooklyn type vibe. Gritty but in a cool way. We are coming from Long Island but we hate the Suburbia of it so Raleigh might not be our best fit. We like being in the middle of things and being able to walk around and see sights and have things to do but we don't want to get our stuff stolen or get shot at just to do it.

One question is my significant other is an RN. She works in a pediatric ER and she states she doesn't necessarily care if she works in pediatrics but she wants to work in a really good hospital. One that competes nationally for being well run. What hospitals are there and are RN jobs plentiful?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
If you stay near DT Raleigh/NC State or near DT Durham/Duke you'll probably find what you seek.
If you go to the suburban areas of Raleigh or Cary or Wake Forest, you'll find exactly the same thing that you'll find in the Southpoint area of Durham.
Chapel Hill/Carrboro will provide you the only true "college town" experience but you'll also likely to be priced out of your budget.
You'll find two stereotypes perpetuated here on the Triangle's City Data Forum.
1. There's nothing urban or funky in Raleigh
2. There's nothing safe and "family friendly" in Durham
Both stereotypes are incorrect.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
So far upon investigating I have found Durham would probably fit the best. Brooklyn type vibe. Gritty but in a cool way. We are coming from Long Island but we hate the Suburbia of it so Raleigh might not be our best fit. We like being in the middle of things and being able to walk around and see sights and have things to do but we don't want to get our stuff stolen or get shot at just to do it.

One question is my significant other is an RN. She works in a pediatric ER and she states she doesn't necessarily care if she works in pediatrics but she wants to work in a really good hospital. One that competes nationally for being well run. What hospitals are there and are RN jobs plentiful?

Duke University Medical Center and Durham Regional Hospital are both run by Duke University. There's also the VA Medical Center right across the street from DUMC. All of these hospitals are always hiring RNs. There's also plenty of nursing jobs down at UNC.

Duke's hospital is well respected in many specialties, but peds isn't its best specialty.
Duke University Medical Center - US News Best Hospitals

Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you stay near DT Raleigh/NC State or near DT Durham/Duke you'll probably find what you seek.
If you go to the suburban areas of Raleigh or Cary or Wake Forest, you'll find exactly the same thing that you'll find in the Southpoint area of Durham.
Chapel Hill/Carrboro will provide you the only true "college town" experience but you'll also likely to be priced out of your budget.
You'll find two stereotypes perpetuated here on the Triangle's City Data Forum.
1. There's nothing urban or funky in Raleigh
2. There's nothing safe and "family friendly" in Durham
Both stereotypes are incorrect.

I agree.

Basically both cities have a small downtown areas. Not sure why someone would think Raleigh doesn't, I guess they haven't visited downtown lately and I say this as a Durham native... but for the most part Durham and Raleigh is suburban. I would just visit both, since you are talking such a small areas it can easily be done in a weekend.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Move to Chapel Hill or Carrboro. Hillsborough should also be a consideration.

Depends on where you both get jobs. This area is quite spread out.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I'm wondering how you are looking at the Raleigh area (which is way more than just "Raleigh"--have you looked at a map?). Have you ever visited? read general stats on the area?

Here is City-Data's page on NC cities
--you should click the ones you're thinking of (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc) and get a general feel for things and then narrow it down to specific areas. Pay attention to the unemployment rate of NC, which is higher than New York's. Also the summer weather will be an adjustment. Traffic is not like the NYC area but not "nothing" either, and growing with each year.

There is no way "What is Raleigh like?" can be answered in one post. You would have to take a few days and visit the whole Triangle area to see how things balance between "gritty/funky places" and "family friendly". Duke and UNC Hospitals are the places to look if you're scouting jobs, which of course you would want to line up before moving. Most of the area is family-friendly and there are cool things to do, but you need to see the area first.

What has put Raleigh in your sights in the first place, if you don't know much about it?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Be nice, please.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
We are mid twenties, with a newborn and looking to find a place in the south that will fit us. We are coming from Long Island area. I love NYC and I know I won't be able to find something like that anywhere else. I still want a nice area. Ideally hipster type area (art, music, small quirky shops) but also nice area to raise a child. Looking to rent and probably can do a 2bd 1 ba from 1000. Any area's you would suggest, if any? What's crime like? Traffic? Fun stuff to do for young couple?
If you have family, friends, and/or jobs in NY, you would be far better off just staying in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary