Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

There are SSRI's (anti-depressant) drugs that can be very effective for anxiety and don't have the same dependency issues as the benzos. Generally though, if there is a chemical imbalance, your loved one needs to have it treated as if they had a long-term health issue (like diabetes). Meaning: get on the appropriate medication to help the chemical imbalance and stay on it. The point is to stabilize the brain chemistry.

Then, at the same time, make lifestyle changes that will help the brain chemistry: moderate exercise daily, cut out sugar and anything with high fructose corn syrup or white flour, eat more veggies and whole grains, eat more protein, eat on a regular schedule, and get therapy to learn techniques to combat the anxious feelings.

For panic attacks (which I have suffered from), tell your loved one to carry a small paper bag so that if one starts, your loved one can breathe into and out of it. Excess intake of O2 is from hyperventilation and that's what makes the panic worse. Just knowing that tip can help--I never had to use mine.

As for benzo dependency only a qualified doctor can assist with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default no to SSRI's

I have to say that I strongly recommend to stay away from SSRI type drugs. They are brain altering and can be very dangerous. There are other ways to cope and or solve this without them (how did people do it before ssri was made?).

I know that in some extreme cases they are needed but I think they are way over prescibed. Do some research into them before taking them.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I have to say that I strongly recommend to stay away from SSRI type drugs. They are brain altering and can be very dangerous. There are other ways to cope and or solve this without them (how did people do it before ssri was made?).

I know that in some extreme cases they are needed but I think they are way over prescibed. Do some research into them before taking them.
I agree completely. There are known issues with SSRIs that can make a person quite miserable. They have their place, to be sure, but I'd hardly call them more desirable than a low dose of benzo to aid in the relief of anxiety, particularly if there is no underlying endogenous depression to treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary