Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:04 PM

29 posts, read 61,282 times

Advertisements

I have been on the hunt for the perfect neighborhood for our family and thought maybe y'all could offer some suggestions?

We are currently living in a nice neighborhood in Chapel Hill but we are thinking we would like to move out of the school district. We initially thought we'd buy 1-2 acres of undeveloped land and build on it, but we have young children (1 and 4), and we'd like them to grow up in a more developed area where they can ride their bikes and be safe.

We are looking at Briar Chapel but I'm not sure about a) the small lot size and the b) costs of homes relative to what you get. Ideally we'd be in a similar neighborhood as far as amenities such as a pool and playground, but on a larger lot size. We don't want a cookie cutter house, we'd like to custom build a beautiful home. We'd like to build a 3000 square foot home, so not small but not a ginormous home either. But we'd like some room, and that may be a challenge at Briar Chapel.

Are there any developments you'd recommend? We are open to Hillsborough, Durham, Pittsboro, and outer CH. Husband commutes to RTP so we'd like to not get tooooo far away, and we like it on 'this' side, over more into Raleigh. I welcome any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
You could look into an undeveloped lot in Stoneridge (north Chapel Hill), and there are also alot of existing custom homes on big lots there that fit your bill if you are not locked into building new. Pool, playground, tennis courts, and backs up onto about 6000 acres of Duke Forest and Triangle Land Conservancy lands.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM

That is actually in Chapel Hill though, I think? I would like to move outside the school district. I actually live fairly near there already.

Thanks for the response!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason you want to move outside the school district? Taxes too high or did you hear things about the school district that you don't like?

Also, what about Churton Grove in Hillsborough? They may be somewhat cookie cutter, but I think they are on 1/2 acre lots.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 AM

187 posts, read 803,593 times
Have you looked at Chapel Ridge? Very nice golf course community because of the economy great deals to be had in there. Neighborhood has a pool... I believe it's either chapel hill or pittsboro address but Chatham county schools ;-)

Last edited by dianeh; 01-27-2012 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: Mis- spelling

Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,182 times
What about Hardscrabble in Hillsborough?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I was thinking about Chapel Ridge as well, the lots are definitely bigger, but it is also a huge neighborhood! you could get a nice re-sale home in there at this point, and their pool is very very nice. It is chatham county schools.

Leigh

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason you want to move outside the school district? Taxes too high or did you hear things about the school district that you don't like?
I'm curious too, since that is the school district everyone seems to wish they were in!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM

I apologize for being MIA - I ended up in the ER for the majority of yesterday and into the wee hours. All is well, but I must say if you need to go to the ER and can choose, the new Briar Creek WakeMed ER is fantastic!

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I'll look into each. I really like the Briar Chapel concept but I feel like the markup to live there is perhaps not totally justified, at least for the type of house we're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm curious too, since that is the school district everyone seems to wish they were in!
Ok, well I'll spare you and try not step up on my soapbox, but the bottom line is that there's a good education, and then there's pushing our children harder than children should be pushed, and for what? Since I have lived in CH (4 years now), I have watched my friends and neighbors' children in these schools. I've seen the homework, the pressure - kids are tearing their hair out to make it through. There were even several suicide notes discovered among friends and neighbor's kids who were nearing graduation and totally overwhelmed by the pressure and expectations the school system provides (we are districted for East). And I don't think the pressure was coming from the parents.

Ultimately, I'm not sure traditional classroom education is the best way to learn (my kids are currently in private Montessori), and I believe strongly that while education is important, being a kid is more important. Education is there to teach you not just facts, but how to think, work ethics, independence, and pushing our kids for good test results isn't my idea of a great education. I want them to have time to play at night, not spend 3 hours on homework. I want them to push themselves, not crush under the weight of being pushed by others.

And well, financially the bottom line is we intend on keeping our kids in their Montessori school through elementary, so I don't see the point in paying for that private education AND CH taxes. Particularly when I don't really want my kids in the CH schools.

So, there you have the summary. Now I'll LOL!

We'd also like to move to where we can have just the home we want, and while I love the community aspect of CH, the location, the people, I'm not sure we can afford the type of home we want right here in the center of CH.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM

140 posts, read 441,024 times
Hi,

You may want to take a look at Fairfield in South Durham -- near Southpoint. There are some "cookie cutter" homes but it's been a neighborhood in process since the early '80's so there are lots of different looks in the neighborhood even though there are only around 400 homes. There is a neighborhood pool, tennis courts and playground. The neighborhood has an active summer swim team for when your kids get a bit older. While the neighborhood is nearly built out there are still some open lots although you'd probably have to use one of the two builders in the neighborhood. Lots range from .25 to .50 acres with a couple of larger lots. A 3000 square foot home with fit in nicely from a size perspective. Also if you decide to move from a private Montessori there are a couple of Montessori magnets in Durham and you'd be within easy driving distance of Stirling Montessori (charter school) in Morrisville. And it is a short commute to RTP for your husband.

Last edited by durhammom; 01-27-2012 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Added number of homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary