Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 48,195 times

Advertisements

I'm building a play area for my daughter, and am trying to find some tree trunk segments.

I had a neighbor offer, but it was bigger than I wanted and covered in fungi. So does anybody know where I could get (buy cheaply is fine) segments that might work well well for kids? I'm thinking anything from a few inches thick and a maybe a foot across, to a couple feet thick and a foot across.

If I try to Google for it I just get tree trunk removal services, and while I don't mind calling around to tree services to see if they have something that would work, I thought I'd see if anybody knew a good place to start.

I'm in Durham, but would travel to Chapel Hill or Raleigh on a weekend.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
I assume that if you call a tree removal service, they will sell or give you a tree trunk that you can cut to your thickness preferences.

If you want them to make all the cuts, now you're talking more effort and money.

But having just had trees cut down - they hauled off the trunks and did who knows what with them - but I certainly didn't sign over ownership of them. So, I doubt they are selling them at a profit that they wouldn't be OK selling you one on the spot.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
I just cut down a tree this past weekend. The trunk was about a foot in diameter. You are welcome to bring a vehicle over to my house and take as many segments as you like. You'll have to rent a chainsaw and cut them to your needs. Each segment weighs no more than 100lbs and can be either carried or carted in a wheelbarrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary