Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,690 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to Raleigh in August/September. We are both late twenties and moved to Manhattan, KS a year ago for work from San Diego. We had the chance to go back to San Diego but decided our future will be best in Raleigh. Plus we like the adventure of discovering a new city.

She is looking for a teaching job which, from what I've read, is difficult, but she has also had most of her experience in the Catholic Schools so hopefully that helps! Any advice for her would be helpful on areas to look.

We are going to be visiting before the move to find a place to live and would love to here from locals on areas to check out. I will be working around the Airport and not sure yet where she will be. I'd like to get a 2 bedroom at no higher than $1,100/month. It would be nice to have the ammenities, pool/gym/etc. but are not required. I'd rather find the right location. We're done partying during the week but do like to go out once in awhile on the weekends with friends, so the college town is a turn off for us. We enjoy the outside, new restaraunts/cuisine, and I am a sports nut (Any good adult basketball leagues in the area), and she loves wine.

We've glance through apartmentguide.com but the reviews and information doesn't do it justice without being there. Any recommendations on area for our age group or property managers/apartments that are nice would be greatly appreciated! Let me know what information I am missing and I can reply back.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:14 AM

208 posts, read 415,056 times
Leaving the little Apple egh? I can't help much with the apartment spots but my wife and I (late 20s/early 30s) recently moved here also and are looking to meet some new people our age.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 7,007 times
If you are going to be working at the airport I might suggest NW Raleigh, but there isnt a lot of nightlife up here. Yes the local joints that will get a good crowd on weekends but you can't bar hop. Most of the nightlife is downtown which 30 minute drive.

Morrisville will have a lot of apartments but no nightlife.

I feel like the only area I could say you will find a lot of things to do is downtown.

OR you can look in Durham. That is up and coming so I can only guess there are more apartments.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
You might want to look on/near Glenwood Ave, which is not a bad commute to the airport OR to downtown where the concentration of nightlife is (though there are little spots all over, such as North Hills (also easy from Glenwood), and breweries scttered around. There are a lot of apartments off Duraleigh Rd right near the intersection of Glenwood, though they may be older than what you're looking for.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Teachers' pay here stinks and school districts are by county, so she could be working anywhere within a county-I work with teachers that commute an hour each way!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,864 times
I had to comment because I actually made a similar post 4 years ago as I moved from Manhattan to Raleigh for grad school.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-me-where.html

I can only speak to my own experiences, and it sounds like nightlife is less of a priority for you. If this is indeed the case, I would recommend Wildwoods of Lake Johnson, which I lived at for my first place just to get situated, and loved it. They would have 2BRs in your price range. Actually, many places on Lake Johnson are supposed to be great (check apartmentratings.com though) and easily accessible to the lake. Safe for early morning/evening jogs around the lake, walking pets etc. They even teach rec classes during the summer through the lake management (sailing, fly fishing etc). Going out for sports bars or nice restaurants will land you most likely in glenwood south/downtown, which are a short car trip away. After a year at WW I moved to the Raleigh Apartments near Cameron Village/South Glenwood/Downtown as it makes walking everywhere or biking effortless, so I ultimately prefer it based on proximity, and the older, more authentic feel of these apartments.

Based on your situation though, I should say, Raleigh is incredibly easy to get around quickly IMO, the drive to the airport feels instantaneous. Although I don't know enough about Morrisville to properly comment, I can tell you, if I got a job near the airport I would continue to live in Raleigh due to such a short commute.

Cheers,
Will

Last edited by wklobas.; 06-05-2013 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Every time I visit Raleigh I immediately drive to Lake Johnson for a 3 mile run. It's a great "park" and convenient to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary