Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,681 times

Advertisements

I looked searched through previous posts and I haven't found an exact answer I'm looking for.
Here's my question, I'm putting it as bluntly as possible, sorry if I sound like a terrible person (I'm sure I do) but I'm not, just have some preferences:

I'm moving to Raleigh for a retail job in Crabtree Valley Mall, I'll be managing a store, but it's just retail so the money isn't great. I'll be renting because my wife and I are 29yrs old and still don't have strong enough credit, or a big enough nest egg to buy a house. We currently pay $700 in rent, and would love to stay around that, but would probably go up to $900... but not a penny more.

SO.... within that context of not having too much money and not wanting to spend much, and needing to live in a relatively close area to Crabtree; we share one car, so if it's 15+ minutes, I'd take the care and she'd stay home with our son. If we live real close to the mall I can ride my bike and she'll have the car. That changes variables, if we live farther, we need a nice community with outdoor space, parks, fun stuff for kids. If we live close to the mall then my wife can drive to the fun kid stuff.

My wife is from a small souther town, I'm from a big "yankee" city; I don't want anything too rural or slow, I want a nice city feel, I want to be able to pick from a list of things to do on any given night, I want attractions and distractions from living in a subarb. She wants land; a yard, parks, and she doesn't want a concrete jungle. We don't want to be in a place with crime (I know no one does) but we'd like a nice homogenous area (yes, I'm trying to tip-toe around wanting a white area-- or at least not a very black area-- sorry for how that may make me sound.)

I know there's more variables that people consider, I'm sure you have nuanced answers, but as simply and plainly as you can muster, what would be your answer for:
Decent, clean subarb close to city living, good place to raise a four year old who'll be starting school next year, not too black, not TOO expensive, not too rural but nice, on the modern side, homes to rent, or townhouses with a small yard. Close enough, or easy enough to get to Crabtree?

Again, I'm sorry for coming off as snobbish and racist, but if there was one area that fit every criteria we'd be in heaven. I plan to make visits on different days, I want to see the area at night, on a weekend, during rush hour and if I had a gameplan of places locals think are worth it the better so I don't waste my time.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,843,288 times
<*uses broom to sweep out some unkind comments*>

Let's all remember what the Terms of Service say:

Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
The OP has the right to ask his questions; if you don't like them, you have the right not to answer.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 AM

569 posts, read 1,979,300 times
Quote:
I'm from a big "yankee" city; I don't want anything too rural or slow, I want a nice city feel, I want to be able to pick from a list of things to do on any given night, I want attractions and distractions from living in a subarb. She wants land; a yard, parks, and she doesn't want a concrete jungle. We don't want to be in a place with crime (I know no one does) but we'd like a nice homogenous area (yes, I'm trying to tip-toe around wanting a white area-- or at least not a very black area-- sorry for how that may make me sound.)
To answer your question, there is no location anywhere near here that would meet your criteria. I think you need to stay in that big yankee city.

Last edited by jeffs555; 06-22-2012 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
I exercise my right not to answer a post I find offensive.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 AM

169 posts, read 575,103 times
To the OP, are you equating "homogenous" and "not too black" with minimal crime (i.e. safe) and not too poor? If that's what you mean, please say that instead of stating it as white vs black because that's just offensive (as previous posters have indicated).

Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,160,887 times
I recommend looking at the apartments that surround Lake Lynn. Depending on how far you consider biking distance, you could bike from those apartments to the mall easily (I used to do it all the time). The rent should be in your price range as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
We don't have any areas like you're describing. Not in their entirety, anyway.

I think the problem here is twofold:

1-You're from an area that claims all its inhabitants are far more cultured than us backward Southerners. Which is evidently not always the case.

2- Your wife is from a rural area where people have likely self-segregated and it's more comfortable to her.

I mean you no insult whatsoever in saying this. I've met plenty of people with similar frames of mind.

That said? Come and visit. Really take a good look around. I live in Cary. In my small development, there is such a wide variety in terms of racial/ethnic/socioeconomic background. It makes for a nice, diverse living experience. Low crime. I've seen only one car break-in in the 5 years I've owned here, and that was to steal a laptop bag out of someone's car. At night. Being from a more urban area, I'm sure you know not to leave a laptop in a car at night.

Anyway, I think you'll find more areas here satisfactory if you open your mind a little. It's going to be necessary for you to live here comfortably on a retail salary.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,168,625 times
i think you're going to struggle to find a "white" area with your price limit

this is a fun website: http://zipwho.com/

put in the zip code and it will give you the demographics

Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 AM

328 posts, read 767,665 times
Yeah, rent is very expensive. I rented in Clayton a few years ago in a nice neighborhood (not sure of the demographics) but as a young female, I felt safe and rent for a two-bedroom was more than $700. Clayton is considered "out in the sticks," when it really isn't, so I doubt you'll find anything for less than $900 in rent, unless you are looking for a small one-bedroom.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM

502 posts, read 1,655,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I exercise my right not to answer a post I find offensive.
Ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary