Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:15 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times

Advertisements

The Festival for the Eno is really cool, but it is also really HOT! We went last year and found the heat and humidity unbearable. Sitting in the shade with ice cream listening to music was not cool enough for us. Of course the weather can change, but IMHO it is not an event to enjoy unless the temp is somewhat moderate that day. There are other festivals in the spring and fall that I will enjoy more.

Downtown sounds pretty fun, But I'm starting to think there is a festival downtown every other week, so I'm not sure how this would be special. It will not have one thing I now require for July 4 in NC---a WATER FEATURE! If there is not a lake or pool or river or ocean involved that I can immerse myself in, I won't be there.

So I may just stay in the shadiest spot in all of Raleigh...my own yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post

So I may just stay in the shadiest spot in all of Raleigh...my own yard.
I disagree, there is no shadier spot in all of raleigh than our state legislative building. Thus making it the best/coolest location in the state. No offense toward your own yard.

DT sounds fun. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I think it would be a blast to get a bunch of friends to ride bikes in via the greenway. No parking hassles, no traffic. I might have to muster up a posse....

Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
In the past we've always caught the fireworks at the state fairgrounds whenever the fireworks started. So we'd drive there, pull to the side, watch the fireworks, then leave. Not very exciting.

I for one am excited that it's moving to DT Raleigh. Seems there will be more events and things to do around. Was there a festival at the state fairgrounds before the fireworks?

Also, since this year is on Wednesday, are most folks planning to take the rest of the week off?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
The Festival for the Eno is really cool, but it is also really HOT! We went last year and found the heat and humidity unbearable. Sitting in the shade with ice cream listening to music was not cool enough for us. Of course the weather can change, but IMHO it is not an event to enjoy unless the temp is somewhat moderate that day.
Awwww...we love the Eno, even when it's 99! Last year was exceptionally hot, but the kids bring bathing suits and go splashing in the river. There's the mist tents, too. The heat doesn't really bother me (even when it's 100+) but for folks who wilt more easily the fireworks are always a nice treat and after the sun has gone down.

Chapel Hill is having the fireworks at Kenan again this year. They're asking for donations, but no one will be turned away if they can't pay.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I for one am excited that it's moving to DT Raleigh. Seems there will be more events and things to do around. Was there a festival at the state fairgrounds before the fireworks?
Yes, there were some events - many of them aimed at children, some entertainment at the grandstand, and the usual assortment of "state fair" type food.

I agree with you that downtown Raleigh is going to have much more to offer. Will traffic be an issue, though, like it typically was around the fairgrounds when the fireworks ended?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Oh I'm sure traffic will be awful but I bet this year you'll have a lot of people drive out to the Fairgrounds out of habit and realize something is amiss! If you have the option I would take the CAT downtown or bike over there rather than deal with driving. Too bad Amtrak doesn't run enough trains to make that an option for people in Cary and Durham!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
wow i never knew there were events at the state fairgrounds before the fireworks.....i must have missed the memo...

downtown raleigh will be just as fun.....parking should be a breeze esp if they keep all the public parking decks free......traffic should be ok.....seems all the traffic in the past major events in downtown flowed well (Raleigh Wide Open, First Night, etc).....people fan out fast in all directions after the event is over

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Website says parking will be $5 at all city-owned decks.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Oh I'm sure traffic will be awful but I bet this year you'll have a lot of people drive out to the Fairgrounds out of habit and realize something is amiss! If you have the option I would take the CAT downtown or bike over there rather than deal with driving. Too bad Amtrak doesn't run enough trains to make that an option for people in Cary and Durham!
That or park over by Seaboard / Glenwood and ride the R-LINE for free. You could also park in Cameron Village and take CAT Route 16 in to downtown.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
I think getting out of downtown will be pretty easy. There are a LOT of roads that get you out of there in every direction. That, and parking is more spread out, so not only will people be coming and going from a less dense area, but also it will take them different amounts of time to get back to their car, staggering the traffic more. I bet it's not that bad.

I'm really hoping to bike over from Cary via the greenways. THAT will be fun.

EDIT> If the city was on their game, they'd give free parking at the fairgrounds, and run shuttle buses into town. Think about it:
1. Parking issues alieviated
2. Traffic issues alieveated
3. Anyone doesn't know about the change, violet, they will be OK anyway.

Dang, where's my medal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary