Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 AM

63 posts, read 137,142 times

Advertisements

We have been living in Wendell since late February, and our 9 year old son will be starting fourth grade at Wendell Elementary near the end of August. Unfortunately, he had to attend Summer school for English as
we moved from SE Asia to the States in late 2009. He was born in Bangkok in 2003 and is almost up to par with the other kids now in English. Having to attend Summer school he missed some opportunities for swimming lessons, baseball and so forth.

Now we want to get our son involved in a sports program for this Fall. Soccer, basketball, football, tennis and swimming ... any of these would suit him well. He started to study Tae Kwon Do in Thailand and might enjoy that as well.

If anyone knows of any such programs and can point me/us in the right direction, I would sincerely appreciate the advice and/or information. So often in the past this forum has provided me with extremely useful info.; and, I am hoping for the same now. Thank you in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM

80 posts, read 192,467 times
The town of Rolesville offers some of those activities through the parks and recreation department. The website information is old so you may need to contact the town itself. The town of Zebulon also has a youth recreational program. They have a fall baseball/softball league. Registration was in June but you may be able to still register as practices start in August and games in September. I'm not sure what the town of Wendell offers but you should be able to find out through the town's parks and recreation website.

Local churches also offer football and basketball leagues through the Upward program. You can find out locations on their website at Upward Sports - Fun Kids Sports Leagues and Camps and then click "Find a League".

Granite Falls Swim and Athletic Club in Rolesville has a swim team. The club has an outdoor pool that stays open until mid-October and an indoor pool that is open all year. They offer swim lessons. My son took lessons there and I thought they were fine. He knew how to swim but needed to brush up on his technique. They have a membership special going on right now and there is a deal going on for children's swim lessons/swim team membership for them at living social (ends tomorrow). You don't have to be a member for your child to take swim lessons. The fees are increased though.

For TKD, there is a location in Rolesville at the shopping center with the Food Lion on Main Street where several of my neighbors send their children. They all like it very much. There are also a couple of locations in Wake Forest that offer TKD (if you don't mind driving that far).

My son (age 10) takes tennis through the WFATA in Wake Forest at Flaherty Park. We really LOVE the pro there and prefer the lessons to ones he was taking down at Millbrook Tennis Center. They have classes (private and group) for all age ranges (I play there also). If you DM me, I can give you the pro's contact information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary