Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:02 AM

22 posts, read 62,857 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Was just curious about how the traffic is in Raleigh. I'm sure it has gotten worse due to the influx of new residents, however is it viewed as a major problem? Thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,657,328 times
We don't leave our house after work since we will inevitably sit in traffic for .5 hours just to get anywhere. I get cut off daily by the poor drivers in the area too and have had too many close calls to mention.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,040,544 times
Honestly I think it depends on where you are going, coming from etc. Are you talking traffic to get home to which part of raleigh from where? Many many people are commuting from research triangle park, and yes traffic from raleigh north is thick and heavy from 430 until 630 ish. But, thick and heavy are different than bumper to bumper sitting and waiting in traffic (like I experienced going from the park to the south side of cary/apex). So, it depends!

Leigh

Old 11-30-2006, 12:44 PM

180 posts, read 734,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
We don't leave our house after work since we will inevitably sit in traffic for .5 hours just to get anywhere. I get cut off daily by the poor drivers in the area too and have had too many close calls to mention.
You should see the MASSACHUSETT's Turnpike on a friday afternoon 4-7pm
bumper to bumper. can't wait to see heavy traffic!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,864,871 times
Traffic is really a minor issue in Raleigh compared to cities like Washington and the San Francisco/San Jose area.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:30 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,411,618 times
Depends on where you choose to live, and where your job is. If you live half a mile from work, it's not going to be a big deal, obviously.
Also, the older, more established areas tend to have a little less because road construction has been better able to keep up with growth.
Personal example: I live on one edge of downtown, work on the other edge of downtown, and do 90% of my shopping, eating out, etc, in and around downtown. I also bicycle to nearby places when the weather's good. My time spent in traffic is thus very very low.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:45 PM

842 posts, read 3,231,227 times
Default Not bad yet....but....

It's definitely not as bad as Washington/Boston/etc..., and probably never will be.
Having said that, there are no major road projects planned on being funded by NCDOT before 2012. Because of the way gas taxes are distributed throughout the state, Wake county residents pay more in gas taxes to the state than they get in return....the rest goes to rural counties. For the past decade or so, we were actually getting our 'fair share', but now NCDOT says that it's time for Raleigh to 'pay back' the state, and therefore isn't funding any large-scale projects until after 2012. The one exception is the Western Wake Expressway (I-540), and that's going to be funded mainly through tolls.
Some projects planned and now not funded...
- Expand I-40 from Wade Ave to US-1
- Expand I-440 from US-1 to Wade Ave.
- Expand US-1 to expressway from I-540 to Wake Forest.

So expect traffic to get worse.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:04 PM

137 posts, read 607,561 times
I thought the tollway thing for 540 was just under consideration - I know there's a lot of opposition to it. I don't think the toll idea is a done deal yet.

Not to start any fires here, but I'm amused by the fact that there is an NC Turnpike Authority - and no turnpikes - and there's also an administrative body under TTA for commuter rail, yet no rail in sight for the near future. I get a chuckle out of it, I don't know if anyone else here does.

As far as traffic goes, any section of I-40 can be a bear - but yes, managable compared to larger cities like Houston, Chicago, or DC. I've never made a rush hour drive on Hwy 1 to Apex since the project there finished up a couple of weeks back. I know it was a real pain before, how much it has improved - I personally don't know. With all the growth out that way I wouldn't expect it to last long until 540 is completed in that part of Wake County.

Without hesitating, I can say that the 70 Bypass around Clayton can't be finished soon enough. There should be a lottery game to see how many more traffic lights can be added to "old" 70 before the bypass opens!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:17 PM

842 posts, read 3,231,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmk View Post
I thought the tollway thing for 540 was just under consideration - I know there's a lot of opposition to it. I don't think the toll idea is a done deal yet.
I've been trying to follow it (it would halve my commute ), and it sounds like it's a pretty good bet right now. The options are...
1) Make it a toll road, in which case construction starts in 2007 and is complete in 2010.
2) Use NCDOT funds, in which case construction does not start until after 2020.

So essentially, it's a toll road, or it's no road.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,523,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Depends on where you choose to live, and where your job is. If you live half a mile from work, it's not going to be a big deal, obviously.
Also, the older, more established areas tend to have a little less because road construction has been better able to keep up with growth.
Personal example: I live on one edge of downtown, work on the other edge of downtown, and do 90% of my shopping, eating out, etc, in and around downtown. I also bicycle to nearby places when the weather's good. My time spent in traffic is thus very very low.
Sounds like a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary