Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 11:47 AM

20 posts, read 65,761 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me info on Governors Club? My husband and I are now thinking about building there. Are there a lot of young families there? How far away is it from Franklin St in Chapel Hill? A lot of shopping nearby??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 04:54 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
We looked there in the beginning of our search. At the time it seemed way out there. Not much shopping around and it seemed a ways from Franklin street as well. BUT when you don't know where you are or where you are going everything seems far away kwim? It was very quick for us to eliminate that area. No friendly waves, no children outside playing. Spoke to a realtor and when asked about kids she replied "they are all out the country club" Nope not for us! My 8 year old doesn't need to hang out at a country club. One thing we quickly discovered about where we wanted to live is that just because you can afford a neighborhood doesn't necessarily mean it is right for you. The homes were incredible! One thing we did when we were considering a neighborhood was drove through it first thing in the morning to see bus stops etc. Mid day to check for environment. Then afternoon to see if there were many kids outside playing. It was really helpful in getting a feel for the neighborhood. In the end that is exactly what sold us on our new home! Good luck!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:48 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,326 times
Southern Village may be a place for you to check into. May still have a bit of the 'country club' group (not really sure) but it is well located and many housing options and definitely various groups living there. I don't know if they are still building new homes so it may be re-sells only. www.southernvillage.com

Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,851 times
I do know several people that live in the Governors Club. It is beautiful there. If your interested in that area pm me. I know a builder who builds in that neighborhood, and you can see a few of his homes. He is dating my daughter so I can show you some homes that he built. There is one that he is presently building thats almost finished. He will be living in that one right on the golf course. He also built Rosemary Village off Franklin Street, luxury condos with stores below. I don't know anything about the no waving thing. The people I know there are very nice, and would wave. It is a gated community, so you have to either know someone in there to get in I believe. Anyway I do like it there, but again thats my opinion.

Regards,
Debbie

Old 04-27-2007, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,928 times
Default Governors Club

Debbie,

My husband and I just bought a lot in the Governors club and are looking to find a builder....can you share with me the partner of your daughter, that builds there?

Abi

Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 AM

191 posts, read 236,059 times
Governor's Club has a Chapel Hill address but is in Chatham County. This means lower taxes but your kids will go to Chatham County schools. Chatham schools aren't bad but they aren't Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools either. GC is pretty far from Franklin Street.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,270 times
Nacht, the schools is why we ruled out Governor's Club. We saw a great house there but the realtor told us that most of the kids who live there go to private school so they don't care about the quality of the Chatham County schools. We couldn't afford to live there and send the girls to private school so it is no longer on our list. We are going to focus on houses that are in the Chapel Hill school district.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:51 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,851 times
Abi I sent you a pm with my number. Give me a call I would love to help you.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 AM

106 posts, read 403,414 times
actually, the schools are much better. There are 2 new huge subdivisions right near governors club, the preserve and legacy that are forcing the schools to change. Theses are high end neighborhoods and from what i have heard all of the school board lives in these neighborhoods.

I had a friend that lived in governors club that just moved b/c she said it was snooty and there weren't many kids. She said the older crowd ruled the neighborhood and they weren't very tolerante on the younger crowd and kids.

you should check out the preserve at jordan lake. Still a golf course, loaded with kids of all ages and not snooty at all! I live their now.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 17,723 times
For a parent's take on Governor's Club, see my response to another post in this forum - "snooty" is right on the mark, rmshill! Most GC residents are jerky and self-important.

"Governors Club is a mistake unless you're over 60. If you have kids, forget it. The place, much like fearrington village, is geared toward retired people (despite the website's kid-friendly claims - their one babysitting location used to be in a closet). Kids and families are met with "evil eyes" by the old set which dominates the club. In addition, there is palpable nouveau riche feeling around the club and "neighborhoods" (although the speed limit is 25, everyone drives 50 and there is only one sidewalk). It is an exceptionally beautiful place, though, and the amenities surrounding it are improving quickly as Chatham grows. The local grocery is now Harris Teeter which has made a huge difference from the Food Lion and Lowes Foods. There are some very nice people at GC, but they are overshadowed by the resident self-entitled baby boomers who think they own the place because they pay minimum dues to a second-rate club. Recently, the club president sent an email out urging everyone to be nice to each other... If rude behavior wasn't a huge problem at GC, he wouldn't have sent it. Just my 2 cents."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary