Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Not sure where you are from, but they don't do driving school to reduce traffic charges anywhere in North Carolina that I know of.
when i was ticketed years ago (i think in 2001/2002) i went to driving school to reduce the violation & i am here in NC. they will allow you to do that.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Seems like I heard that they have you take the class online but you have to pay for it.

Vicki

Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM

334 posts, read 867,516 times
Sadly it sounds like your wife deserved the ticket. Accept responsibility and pay it.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM

34 posts, read 95,091 times
Well, I figured this would be a bit of a controversial topic. I don't want to get in arguments with anyone, so if all you've got to say is you think she should have moved over, keep it to yourself.

So what some of you are saying is if the charge is dropped, there are not court costs? I was under the impression you show up to court, you pay court costs.

And yes, I think that it is unreasonable to ask someone to miss their exit in order to move over a lane when the law states that there is also the option of slowing down. We both learned to drive in another state and honestly neither one of us have ever heard that you have to move over by law. And I think that officers who write tickets to people who are not in violation of the law are "bad cops" and should be dealt with.

She has gone to driving classes to get a speeding ticket reduced before so I guess thats an option - but that would result in us paying court costs and the costs for the class when IMO she wasn't in violation of the law in the first place.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
Well, I figured this would be a bit of a controversial topic. I don't want to get in arguments with anyone, so if all you've got to say is you think she should have moved over, keep it to yourself.

So what some of you are saying is if the charge is dropped, there are not court costs? I was under the impression you show up to court, you pay court costs.

And yes, I think that it is unreasonable to ask someone to miss their exit in order to move over a lane when the law states that there is also the option of slowing down. We both learned to drive in another state and honestly neither one of us have ever heard that you have to move over by law. And I think that officers who write tickets to people who are not in violation of the law are "bad cops" and should be dealt with.

She has gone to driving classes to get a speeding ticket reduced before so I guess thats an option - but that would result in us paying court costs and the costs for the class when IMO she wasn't in violation of the law in the first place.
Moving over for a police officer or emergency vehicle is a law in many states. It's for their safety, because police cars have been hit quite frequently. Would your wife really have missed the exit? If she slowed down that much, it seems she could still have made it, even if having to cross over some lines to do it. Your best bet is to go to court and see what happens. She broke the law so expect to pay some fines, and hope she doesn't get points. He was not a bad cop. Hes just doing his job to protect himself and bring in revenue for the city/state.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM

34 posts, read 95,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
He was not a bad cop. Hes just doing his job to protect himself and bring in revenue for the city/state.
lol. That's not supposed to be his job...

EDIT: alright, I get that the second part of my post isn't popular, so let's forget about that.

Are court costs avoidable? If you go to court and a charge is dropped do you still pay court costs?

Last edited by LobsterOfJustice; 02-11-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Moving over for a police officer or emergency vehicle is a law in many states. It's for their safety, because police cars have been hit quite frequently. Would your wife really have missed the exit? If she slowed down that much, it seems she could still have made it, even if having to cross over some lines to do it. Your best bet is to go to court and see what happens. She broke the law so expect to pay some fines, and hope she doesn't get points. He was not a bad cop. Hes just doing his job to protect himself and bring in revenue for the city/state.
Well said!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Hold up.

Your wife drove past a stopped police vehicle in the lane closest to the vehicle?

I doubt she's gonna get out of that.

You can "slow down"... But, they mean SLOW. Like, so slow that you could hit a cop and he wouldn't be injured sorta slow.

Yeah. She needs to be more careful. She probably spooked the cop. He's not gonna miss that court date.

I'd rather miss an exit and take the next one than buzz a cop.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 PM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Hold up.

Your wife drove past a stopped police vehicle in the lane closest to the vehicle?

I doubt she's gonna get out of that.

You can "slow down"... But, they mean SLOW. Like, so slow that you could hit a cop and he wouldn't be injured sorta slow.

Yeah. She needs to be more careful. She probably spooked the cop. He's not gonna miss that court date.

I'd rather miss an exit and take the next one than buzz a cop.
I agree. Is it really worth the risk of potential harm to the cop, just for the convenience of making an exit.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:14 PM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcb26 View Post
because we all know cops never do anything wrong. I did an internet search of officer misconduct and not one article appeared. I dont know where people get off.
And when you did your internet search, did you also search for video's and articles about people that have hit police officers along side the road when people didn't give them enough space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary