Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,548 times

Advertisements

What are some of the best places to rent from? We are planning on relocating to Cary if we like it but want to rent for a few months to get to know which area we like and take our time finding the house we want.
Any experiences good or bad with apts in Cary and what about areas not to miss or areas to avoid when buying a house?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM

277 posts, read 797,796 times
How much are you wanting to pay per month?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:55 PM

32 posts, read 165,005 times
We're very happy renting at Courtney Reserve in Cary Park. We have a 1Bd with a garage for $1060. It's quiet and facilites are well kept.
Our first choice was Weston Lakeside but they did not have 1Bd available at the time. They are one of the few rental places with elevators.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:33 AM

22 posts, read 125,009 times
Not sure how I got signed up for it, but I got an email from the Camden apartments that have several communities in the area. They have an interesting pricing setup, based on your lease term and their openings. They vary, but seem reasonable. They have a built-in $40 TV package that you apparently have to take and a $30 "valet trash" fee, both on top of your rent.. but interesting none-the-less. Anyway, camdenliving.com was the website I went to to get that info. If you find one near where you want, click on it, go to floor plans, then to availability and then if you pick the link from the available units on the left side, it will show you the price ranges for the lease ranges and tells you the best deal for that unit.

Since we have not explored the area yet, I don't know which of those communities are in the better areas/worse areas, but several to choose from, either way - I'd also guess by their amenities that it's a nicer area.. but not sure.

We are going to check them out when we are ready to move.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
It's pretty hard to find any area in Cary where newer "executive" rentals are that qualifies as a "bad" area.
Cary is an enormous land mass. To drive from the NW to SE corner takes at least 1/2 hour. I'd focus in on areas that shorten your potential commute.
The current "hot" areas are West of NC55 and the SE corner (1010 and Kildaire Farm roads).
You need to drive around quite a bit to make sense of what is going to appeal to you.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 PM

96 posts, read 477,895 times
Default Camden Westwood is a very nice apt. complex

I lived in Camden Westwood for almost 3 years. Its a really nice apt. complex. Some apts were close to the train lines, but my apt. wasn't. So while I heard the train sometimes, it did not disturb me. The mgmt was just great. I had no trouble living there. The only reason I moved was that they raised my rent by a big percentage and didn't give any credit to the fact that I was a good renter for 3 years.

Anyways, I moved into a lousy apt. complex. Olde Towne at Carpenter Village. Fortunately that was a short stay but I could not wait to get out. Check out aptratings.com. Everything I felt about Carpenter Village apts (esp. mgmt issues) was very well documented in many of those reviews.

I found aptratings.com very useful while researching apts.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoNC View Post
Not sure how I got signed up for it, but I got an email from the Camden apartments that have several communities in the area. They have an interesting pricing setup, based on your lease term and their openings. They vary, but seem reasonable. They have a built-in $40 TV package that you apparently have to take and a $30 "valet trash" fee, both on top of your rent.. but interesting none-the-less. Anyway, camdenliving.com was the website I went to to get that info. If you find one near where you want, click on it, go to floor plans, then to availability and then if you pick the link from the available units on the left side, it will show you the price ranges for the lease ranges and tells you the best deal for that unit.

Since we have not explored the area yet, I don't know which of those communities are in the better areas/worse areas, but several to choose from, either way - I'd also guess by their amenities that it's a nicer area.. but not sure.

We are going to check them out when we are ready to move.
"Valet Trash" - does the good garbage fairy come by to collect your refuse? Required TV fee - sounds like rotting fish.

I'd avoid folks who try to steal from you this way.

We take our trash to the dumpster and select Time-Warner or anyone else we darn well choose.

If North Raleigh interests you, see Northridge Crossings. Big apts/reasonable rent/no phony fees.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:21 PM

455 posts, read 919,034 times
My wife and I were at Camden Westwood for 15 months up until this past June. We liked it fine for the most part, but the place got dirty the longer we were there. We had neighbors walking their pets and leaving us presents in front of our apartment daily. I complained numerous times and the most they did (after the 5th or 6th complaint) was to send a letter out to the building, which didn't stop anything. We also had issues with the "Valet Trash" not taking our garbage routinely.

The TV thing didn't bug me since it was Time Warner basic plus HBO (I paid the difference to Time Warner to get digital + internet).

Overall it was rather quiet for an apartment for the most part (we were in a 2 story style with a loft) so nobody over us, and the guy under us was quiet, although you could hear his TV when you would go out the front door (Which was on the first floor). We had got the large apartment at a good rate, but they really jacked it up when it game lease renewal time. We ended up buying a Townhouse in Cary and haven't looked back.

Enough of my ramblings. Basically what I'm trying to say was that it was decent enough, but it just seemed like the management's interest in the place started going downhill.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Boy, could I identify with the management issues at Olde Towne at Carpenter Village. When we first rented an apartment, I liked the manager(s) quite a bit -- polite, easy to get ahold of, took care of problems efficiently. Then, they hired someone who had run a student apartment complex, and she had to be the single most rude, and least professional individual in a position like that, that I had ever encountered.

Before we moved out, I had the most fun taking her to task over a typed, formal, business letter on HOT pink paper, no less. I was horrified. I complained to the complex's head office in Charlotte, to little avail. Got a cursory return call about a week and a half later, which told me they had no problem with that management style. OK, but I did.

It's a shame to hear it is no better, as it is a lovely area in which to live, and when we were able to get out of the apartment, we bought a nice home in the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 PM

96 posts, read 477,895 times
RDS,

Looks like we lived there in the same timeframe .. when I moved in, they had the nicest mgr. But they soon changed mgmt companies and things went downhill very fast. I too had plenty of arguments with the new mgr. Very very rude. I had mold issues in my apt and instead of admitting it was due to a water leak (known and identified) in the window, they blamed us for it. They did not even call us back when we called to complain about this mgr. Just amazing ..

Oh well .. we moved out in 6 months. Wouldn't have extended our lease there if we had to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Boy, could I identify with the management issues at Olde Towne at Carpenter Village. When we first rented an apartment, I liked the manager(s) quite a bit -- polite, easy to get ahold of, took care of problems efficiently. Then, they hired someone who had run a student apartment complex, and she had to be the single most rude, and least professional individual in a position like that, that I had ever encountered.

Before we moved out, I had the most fun taking her to task over a typed, formal, business letter on HOT pink paper, no less. I was horrified. I complained to the complex's head office in Charlotte, to little avail. Got a cursory return call about a week and a half later, which told me they had no problem with that management style. OK, but I did.

It's a shame to hear it is no better, as it is a lovely area in which to live, and when we were able to get out of the apartment, we bought a nice home in the surrounding neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary