Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:51 PM

655 posts, read 916,826 times

Advertisements

I know most educators love it as they get a 2 or 3 weeks vacation every 6-9 weeks depending on the type of rotation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
My oldest daughter is on Track 2 at Highcroft Elementary. I couldn't be happier. I love Track 2 because it is the polar opposite of the traditional schedule. We went to Disneyworld the week after Thanksgiving. It was cheaper, it was virtually empty and the weather was amazing!

As for the school, it's great. There's a very big sense of community there, since it is in the middle of the neighborhood. There's a lot of parent involvement. Not that test scores matter to everyone, but it got the 2nd highest test scores in Wake County for elementary schools (Davis Dr. was #1). Make sure that you look at the updated assignment page on the WCPSS website though, because a large portion of Highcroft's student population is being reassigned to the new Mills Park elementary. If you're looking at a house in the Highcroft neighborhood, you'll still be at Highcroft. If you're looking in Cary Park, you'll be reassigned in 2008.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
When moving from the north, we went from half day traditional K to full day year round. I was worried more that the full days would be a lot for my son to adjust to, but he's absolutely in love. And I adore the year round idea!!! Kids love the theory of traditional summer vacation, but by week 4 they are bored to tears. 9 weeks in, 3 weeks out throughout the year works perfectly by keeping the kids interest longer, enough time to break and chill out, and come back ready for school. Not to mention the vacation times do not always match those of traditional, thus perfect for family vacations to busy places such as Disney. Less expensive during nontraditional vacation times, and a lot less busy.

Once we've tried year round, the whole family is hooked on it.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 12,403 times
Default year round

I used to teach at a year round middle school in Wake county and we are currently getting ready to move back to the Raleigh area, as we've been across country for several years. My kids are in 3rd grade and 5th grade, and I'm actually praying that I can get them both into a year round school(s). The teachers stay fresh though the year, the kids don't get tired, and everyone seems to elarn so much! LOVE IT!!!! I wish all school had the option to have a year round system!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
I love year round! I wish they were all that way! ( i know for HS students its not feasable)....but heres my perspective...

When my daughter was in Kindergarden, she went to Youngsville Elementary ( Franklin County). It is year round, but slightly different than Wake County - as the whole school (since it is small) is on the same track. She did AWESOMELY! Breaks perfectly spaced, never too long (for her or us! lol) and she had a blast.

we moved. She is in third grade and has attended a traditional school for the past three years. She hates school, her grades have dropped ( more in math- she reads at a middle school level) every year since beginning (and this is with me home helping her- even over the summer I make her do worksheets daily), and she gets bored to tears during the summer.

We will be moving sometime this spring- either back to youngsville or possibly Cary. Cary is the area I'd prefer to be in (thats where my husband and I both grew up) but we KNOW with youngsville (at least until she gets to middle school) that she will be year round...our youngest isn't even two yet, so we have some time before its an issue for him...

Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 PM

347 posts, read 934,128 times
The biggest negative i can see for year round is that you are not on the same schedule for school as surrounding counties. This makes mid year transfers a nightmare. Kids adapt.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,206 times
can somebody give me a quote on how year round school gives low income rate families a negative effect?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:10 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I teach at a year round school (not in triangle) and both the kids and the teachers love it. We even had a deranged board member want to terminate year round, and a number of parents spoke up saying that even with kids in the year round and in traditional, they wanted year round.

We started in mid July, and came back from our first break on Oct 14 or 15. I reviewed what I had taught at the end of the first quarter, one day, and then moved on.

We also have an extended learning session for 4 or 5 days during the three breaks where children who are not doing well are invited in for 1/2 day intense teaching on critical objectives. Those work out well for the learners, to me, as a teacher they are a bit of a pita.

lln

Old 11-09-2008, 01:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I am curious about how parents with college kids like having their
school age kids out at various year round times and the college kids out in the summer. It seems like it would be really hard to schedule a family
vacation. Also, if you teach how hard is it to be on the same track with your kids. Do all of the school staff have a track or just the teachers??

Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreg View Post
<<<Wow! No negatives...I'm so surprised.>>>

Talking about YR schools around Wake County is like trying to talk about religion or politics with your neighbors.

For me there were negatives to YR. We did one year traditional and then the next YR. We sold our home and moved out of Wake County so that we could enjoy the traditional school year again. I disliked the back and forth schedule of YR and disliked the fact that if the PE teacher was tracked out then my child had no PE during the time the PE teacher was tracked out, as well as other electives this affected. The 2.5 months of summer are well enjoyed as a COMPLETE break from school. I like the transition into the next grade being more than a week or so between school years. Kids grow up a bunch during summer break --- at least mine did! I do not feel that I need to entertain my children or have then involved from 9-5 throughout the summer --- this is a time when we all get to sleep in and enjoy homework free evenings and plan lots of family time. For us, the constant routine of traditional school works much better for our family and we are glad to be enoying it again!!

Last edited by kwalk65; 11-09-2008 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary