Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,833,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
As long as we have good pizza and BBQ here the a triangle will continue to be an attractive destination and homes will be in demand!

Especially now that we have a few Trader Joes.

Just wait until Wegmans and Publix open up shop here, and Costco finally opens up in Cary/Apex, then we won't be able to keep people out even if we try, since these are the 6 most important factors that people consider when relocating:

1. Proximity of Wegmans
2. Proximity of Publix
3. Proximity of Trader Joes
4. Proximity of Costco
5. Quality of pizza
6. Quality of BBQ

Last edited by orulz; 07-01-2013 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: added more references to frequently recurring City-Data topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,549,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, I did see your qualifier, "MAYBE things are rosy here in the triangle." And I am sorry you feel no empathy. I sure do.

We miss the true meaning of "underemployment," when we fail to focus on the root word, "employment."
Your friend has a job. Rumor has it that many people do not. "Underemployment" has turned into a buzzword for "employment entitlement," unfortunately, rather than an indication of available skills for employers.
The job market has never valued 25+ years of experience, and that is why in the 1960's EEOC and age discrimination laws were enacted. And they are about the easiest standards for employers to ignore, and discriminating against experience/age is only increasing.
Great post about tenure. How many jobs require 25+ yrs experience? Very few if any. What does the 25 yr person offer that a 5-10 yr person doesn't and how much extra does that cost the company.

Age discrimination is the next upcoming financial crisis to potentially impact the country (vying with student loan defaults), nobody employing 50+ yr old people, while at the same time people living longer and longer and needing more money to do it. So instead of retiring at 65 and living to 75, people are being retired @52 with the potential to live to 90.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,272,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Especially now that we have a few Trader Joes.

Just wait until Wegmans and Publix open up shop here, and Costco finally opens up in Cary/Apex, then we won't be able to keep people out even if we try, since these are the 6 most important factors that people consider when relocating:

1. Proximity of Wegmans
2. Proximity of Publix
3. Proximity of Trader Joes
4. Proximity of Costco
5. Quality of pizza
6. Quality of BBQ

Don't forget the Dave and Buster's is heading to Cary!

Vicki

Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,296,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I have been heavily warned by people in my state about the politics there, and I am more cautious about a potential move. NC politics are repulsive.
I agree. Moral Mondays witness Wednesdays. What kind of Mickey Mouse bullhorn is that?

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Let's keep this on topic.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,630,936 times
keep in mind that this particular forum tends to share political views. That's not an accurate cross section of society to judge on.

The national elections are usually very close, and that means nearly half would probably support the politics in place. I wouldn't worry about politics keeping people out. Taxes, yes, politics not so much. In my opinion Ca and Ny have terrible laws, but people still move to each every day. And those that leave generally blame the high taxes and high cost of living.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,961,010 times
The Atlantic posted an article yesterday that provides a nice summary of the political issues in North Carolina:

How North Carolina Became the Wisconsin of 2013 - David A. Graham - The Atlantic

Quote:
Nowhere is the battle between liberal and conservative visions of government fiercer than North Carolina. From the environment to guns, abortion to campaign finance, religion to taxes, Raleigh has become a battleground that resembles Madison, Wisconsin, in 2011.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,163,966 times
So far that's worked out great for Wisconsin.
Federal Reserve Bank: Wisconsin economic recovery lags - News - WSAU News/Talk 550AM 99.9FM

Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 AM

27 posts, read 64,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I have been heavily warned by people in my state about the politics there, and I am more cautious about a potential move. NC politics are repulsive.

LOL Oh my goodness. Best stay away then.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,248,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
oddly, the article is almost nothing about Wisconsin, and certainly NOT about Wisconsin having a moralistic new majority sweeping into power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary