Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM

28 posts, read 67,477 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are "empty nesters" (in our mid 50s - early 60s) and will be relocating to Cary in early 2014. We don't know anyone in the area. What's the best way to meet people? Is there a "Newcomers" type organization for people at our stage of life (vs. young families)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Meetup.com. Find groups with similar interest (whatever they may be) and meet the people who do those things...

They have everything:
Foodies
Art Lovers
Travellers
hikers
bikers
swingers
naked volleball (I'm not kidding)
politics
etc.

....everything.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM

thanks Myghost!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,850 times
+1 for Meetup.com. I've told this many times before, but my mother moved here 7 years ago when she was a 73-year-old widow. She went to some meetups, and now has a very wide circle of friends. In fact, she's taking a trip to New Orleans next week with a couple of them.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,429 times
In addition to Meetups, there are newcomer clubs in Raleigh and in Cary - I believe they are separate organizations. I don't know about other areas but if google "newcomer club" and the area "cary" or "Holly Springs" , if there is something, it should pop up.

The other thing is that there are very active 'senior' groups via parks & recreation in each town. I've seen the listings but am not quite there yet so not sure of how well attended various functions are.

Have fun looking at places!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Thank you Claire_F and WeLuvNC! I checked out the Cary Newcomers Club and will definitely get involved when we get there.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM

30 posts, read 46,905 times
We just moved here in August from New England and are also in our 50's. We joined the Triangle NE Patriots and enjoy watching the games with people from "home". I also just joined a women's wine and book club and am going to my first meeting tomorrow afternoon. Good luck with your move!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 PM

140 posts, read 418,165 times
Look into Wake County Parks and Recreation ,they have a big senior program with classes, trips ,meetings all over. If you are interested in life long learning again with classes ,trips and a chance to meet people .. there is Encore run by NC State. Both groups can be found online..

Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,722,123 times
best advice . . "get out there doing what you love and you'll meet the right people along the way".
Since we've arrived I've met wonderful people at every juncture . . sitting at the rocking chairs at Taylor's wine shop . . Gyros Cycling Club . . triathlons . . roadside/lake cleanups . . .and on and on

Best of luck!

Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,658 times
Do you know what neighborhood you're moving into? For instance, if you're moving to one of the "active adult communities" like Carolina Preserve, you'll have no trouble meeting plenty of empty nesters, and social activities will be abundant. There are also some communities that tend to have more empty nesters than others. For instance, I live in a townhouse community in West Cary, and I'd guess that about 80% of the occupants are empty nesters/retirees. They're all incredibly friendly and our neighborhood has bi-monthly social activities. I'm not in that demographic (I have two children at home), but I felt welcomed when I moved in. It's quiet, safe and friendly -- people actually wave to each other when they're out walking. And I like that the neighborhood doesn't empty out during the workday. People are always around during the day, keeping an eye out for each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary