Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times

Advertisements

My daughter recently ordered a self-install security system. Part of the order acknowledgement included the messages below about possibly needing permits. I know they can fine you for false alarms, but have never heard anything about needing permits. I poked around on the RPD web site, but didn't see anything about permits. Has anyone looked into this before?

Burglar Alarm Monitoring Permit Information!
Instructions: It looks like we don't have any permit information on file for your area. This is either because we've not encountered permit requirements in your City or County, or there is no permit requirement. Please call your local police department (not 911!) to find out if there is any permit requirement. If there is, we'd love it if you could give us a call so that we can add it to our files. Be sure to indicate that your burglar alarm system is 'SELF-INSTALLED' when filling out a permit, also, for your Alarm and Monitoring Company please check your online account. If you do not call your local Police and Fire Departments to find your local regulations, the Police or Fire Departments may not respond to your alarms or they may respond and issue a large fine. Our Fire Sensors and Monitoring are not to be used in any commercial buildings.

Fire Alarm Monitoring Permit Information!
Instructions: It looks like we don't have any permit information on file for your area. This is either because we've not encountered permit requirements in your City or County, or there is no permit requirement. Please call your local fire department (not 911!) to find out if there is any permit requirement. If there is, we'd love it if you could give us a call so that we can add it to our files. Be sure to indicate that your fire alarm is 'SELF-INSTALLED' when filling out a permit, also, for your Alarm and Monitoring Company please check your online account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 AM

621 posts, read 982,312 times
I have a self installed system and do not recall anything about needing a permit. The text/ message from the vendor is odd.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,936 times
me too....i called our fire dept and they said it is not needed...don't forget about the insurance discount form!

Old 10-29-2014, 12:41 PM

66 posts, read 82,546 times
I used to live in NH and the town needed a permit to have the burglar alarm horn (is that the right name) that goes on top of the house. Even though we were connected to Police/Fire through the alarm company they had to get permission to get the thing on top of the house.

Maybe the self security alarm guy is doing CYA in a situation like this.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Here's more info. Durham requires a permit after the first false alarm. Raleigh requires no permit:

False Alarm Solutions - Requiring Registration/Alarm Permits.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
FYI for others reading this thread, the town of Chapel Hill requires alarm systems to be registered:

Town of Chapel Hill, NC : Accidental Alarm Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary