Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:57 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,677,936 times

Advertisements

I am starting to explore possible relocation to the research triangle.

I noticed some nice homes in the Briar Chapel neighborhood.

Is this a good place to live for an over 40 single woman?

I like the green living aspect I've read about by internet searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,833,647 times
It's a very pretty development but not the first one I'd think of for a young, single person. It's in a quiet, not-built-up-much area, so it depends what you like to do. You can still head into Raleigh to go out but if you like to be near things, it's not terribly convenient to much except for Chapel Hill/Carrboro. If you are just looking for a quiet, pretty development, then it's nice.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
it's not terribly convenient to much except for Chapel Hill/Carrboro.
And Pittsboro.

I agree with your assessment. I would think a single person might want to choose something that is a bit more central and vibrant.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 PM

84 posts, read 160,534 times
I live in Briar Chapel, but am in my 30s and married, so our preferences could be different. I know there are a fair amount of single people here (they recently started a "single in BC" group, but not sure what sorts of things they plan). As far as meeting other single people, I imagine there would be better places to live. As far as just generally having fun & enjoying life, it depends on what you're looking for. The neighborhood has a lot of organized activities (multiple book clubs, yoga, garden club, walking club), quite a few neighborhood social events, and a handful of public events (5K run, food tastings, bike races) each year. The trails & outdoor spaces are really nice. But, it's a bit of a drive to restaurants and other things to do "out." Between Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Pittsboro I rarely feel the need to drive to Raleigh, but even to Chapel Hill or Pittsboro you're looking at a 20 minute drive. This sort of drive doesn't bother me much, but others could feel isolated or dislike it.

Supposedly they will be putting in some shops/commercial area but there is NO timeline on that, NO guarantee they will deliver (or what sort of shops/restaurants it would be), and in the past the developer has changed their mind back and forth about whether or not they would build any commercial in the neighborhood itself.

Let me know if you have any more questions though. I love the neighborhood personally and am very happy I moved here.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,395,503 times
I've been to the pool there several times! It's a nice new neighborhood. The pool is always full of kids. It is out a little ways from town, but very nice. It's Chatham County schools and taxes, so in your case that's probably a good thing (lower taxes).

Old 01-27-2014, 03:20 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,677,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraVega View Post
I live in Briar Chapel, but am in my 30s and married, so our preferences could be different. I know there are a fair amount of single people here (they recently started a "single in BC" group, but not sure what sorts of things they plan). As far as meeting other single people, I imagine there would be better places to live. As far as just generally having fun & enjoying life, it depends on what you're looking for. The neighborhood has a lot of organized activities (multiple book clubs, yoga, garden club, walking club), quite a few neighborhood social events, and a handful of public events (5K run, food tastings, bike races) each year. The trails & outdoor spaces are really nice. But, it's a bit of a drive to restaurants and other things to do "out." Between Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Pittsboro I rarely feel the need to drive to Raleigh, but even to Chapel Hill or Pittsboro you're looking at a 20 minute drive. This sort of drive doesn't bother me much, but others could feel isolated or dislike it.

Supposedly they will be putting in some shops/commercial area but there is NO timeline on that, NO guarantee they will deliver (or what sort of shops/restaurants it would be), and in the past the developer has changed their mind back and forth about whether or not they would build any commercial in the neighborhood itself.

Let me know if you have any more questions though. I love the neighborhood personally and am very happy I moved here.

This sounds nice. I may have more questions coming.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 AM

77 posts, read 188,977 times
As someone who commutes from the north side of Carrboro to Pittsboro everyday, don't let Briar Chapel's distance from either place scare you off too much (unless you really like to hit the bars in Chapelboro). It's an easy drive with little traffic and all your everyday type shopping (groceries, drugstores, etc) can be done very nearby at Chatham Downs (Harris Teeter, hardware store) and Cole Park (Lowe's Foods, Wal-Mart, CVS).

I think Briar Chapel is really nice and if I weren't a single 28 year old who also can't afford to buy a house, I'd probably live there.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:08 PM

698 posts, read 963,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I would think a single person might want to choose something that is a bit more central and vibrant.
Where would that be?

Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,833,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Where would that be?
I know you didn't ask me, but I'd say either closer to downtown Durham or downtown Raleigh. Or if you like a small town, hippy, college vibe than Chapel Hill would work, too. But Briar Chapel is a bit on the outskirts of Chapel Hill. To me, BC would be more desirable for people who like subdivisions out in the country.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Where would that be?
Anything more centralized to one of the area's towns, rather than a single housing development that largely sits in the middle of nowhere (nice at it is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary