Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg72 View Post
I read that the Whole Foods in Chapel Hill will be expanding by 40%. Do you think TJ's had anything to do with that??
I think so. They're going to need to do something! Once people get hip to the fare at WF, the only reason to go to WF is the produce. (And that's BARELY a reason...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
The Whole Foods in CH was about the saddest WF I've ever been in. It is so small, with bad lighting. I think it's about time they did a make over and expanded. I'm used to WF being a major step above the rest, but I was disappointed.
I'm used to them being a 'step above', too. I'm always really grumpy when I walk into the ones here. They're gross. (Not Food Lion gross, but gross by WF standards )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM

319 posts, read 1,478,984 times
You should check out the Whole Foods in Cary. My friend works in the prepared foods section. I could not believe how huge the hot bar was!! The Durham location is so tiny in comparison. When I do my huge grocery trip, I go to Cary since the aisles are wider and I can survey the selection better. For quick trips on dairy and bread restock, I go to the Durham location.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:20 PM

285 posts, read 1,040,091 times
The reason the WFs in the Triangle look so old is because they were all Wellspring Grocery until a few years ago. I'm not sure about the Cary location- it might have sprung up after...

I tend to not shop in WF, as I'd rather give Weaver Street the business, I find Weaver St. more reasonable, and it's closer to my house. I think the prices are way inflated at WF.

So, I stopped by the new TJ's on my way to CH. When I peeked in, the store was out of shopping carts, and the lines reached all the way to the back of the store, so I didn't buy anything. I was pleasantly surprised to see how reasonably priced everything was, and while the produce section isn't extensive, there was plenty there. I have been to the TJ's in Boston and Philly, but I had forgotten how affordable the food was. The frozen food section is awesome!

I will return to actually shop when the lines thin out a little....

Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
The reason the WFs in the Triangle look so old is because they were all Wellspring Grocery until a few years ago.
I don't mind the way it looks. In fact, I really liked Wellspring. It was gone by the time I moved here, but I would go there when I would come to visit family on holidays.

It's the offerings at WF that I have a problem with. It's slim pickens in the prepared foods, the produce is old (and goes bad quickly), and they tend to stock more non-organic stuff than organic. I find I have to closely study the labels more often now than I did in larger WF's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
I tend to not shop in WF, as I'd rather give Weaver Street the business, I find Weaver St. more reasonable, and it's closer to my house. I think the prices are way inflated at WF.
I agree. Way to inflated for what you get.

I keep meaning to visit Weaver Street. One of these days...

Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
I typically check out the Whole Foods in Durham near 9th Street. The one in Raleigh is too crowded--I hear Chapel Hill's is similar.
I went to the Raleigh one when I visited in October. It was pretty crowded, but folks were still so polite! I heard lots of "excuse me's" and didn't see anyone angrily shoving someone else's cart out of the way (as is typical in Whole Foods in other parts of the US).

Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I went to the Raleigh one when I visited in October. It was pretty crowded, but folks were still so polite! I heard lots of "excuse me's" and didn't see anyone angrily shoving someone else's cart out of the way (as is typical in Whole Foods in other parts of the US).
For the most part, that's just how people are in the Triangle. Polite "excuse me" and "thank you" comments and behavior are more common than rudeness. Now, that's not to say rudeness doesn't exist. It does. It's just not the common way of dealing with people.
Over the years, I have had more than one friend complain about rudeness in the Triangle. I remained baffled by these comments until I began to notice that they were rude when they were out in public. So, that sort of explained it for me....
Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:06 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,691 times
IdaClaire, I second the Weaver St. recommendation. I really love Weaver St. In addition to groceries, it's also a great place to get lunch/dinner. The hot foods cafeteria is so yummy and reasonably priced. I usually get a nice plate of hot kale, mushroom risotto, and chicken for 3.50-4.50. Love it!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Breakfast at Weaver Street is great too. Pancakes, french toast, frittata, home fries, oatmeal. Very reasonably priced. And they have a delicious fruit topping to put on the pancakes. And maple syrup.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Yes, breakfast at Weaver Street is great! We loved going there on Sundays listening to music and eating brunch on the lawn, very granola, very hippie, so much fun.

I went to TJ to see what all the hype was about, and ok, well I get it. Not too sure about the wine, I brought some home to try, maybe we'll drink it this weekend. The frozen food section seemed good, and the cheese selection looked pretty good too. I will definitely go there again, when it's less crowded so I can really shop. I wasn't able to shop with all the people. It was stimulation overload for sure. It will be a big competition for WF.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I went to TJ to see what all the hype was about, and ok, well I get it. Not too sure about the wine, I brought some home to try, maybe we'll drink it this weekend.
Did you get Two Buck Chuck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary