Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM

54 posts, read 109,664 times

Advertisements

I'm a transplanted Noo Yawker who got introduced to Indian cuisine by some of my co-workers back in the day, and it was love at first bite.

My family is up in Wake Forest, so we've had to do a healthy drive if we ever wanted to scratch that itch. Not too long ago I went to the Neomonde just past Six Forks and 540 and noticed there was a new Indian restaurant next door.

I didn't want to get my hopes too high, but we decided to try it for dinner and were very pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent. Several weeks later we are still ordering from there at least once a week for take out. (Indian food makes the best leftovers IMHO.)

It is called Swad Indian Cuisine and I highly recommend if you are in that area and want to try some yummy food: swad-indian-cuisine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM

189 posts, read 507,537 times
Yes, we have been there and highly recommend.
The chef/owner/manager is well-known restauranteur in this area, and previously owned India Palace and Tamarind.
I believe they co-own Daawat in Morrisville.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I've been meaning to go there. It's real close to my old stomping grounds. I'll need to check it out. I also like Kadai in N. Raleigh in Pleasant Valley.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Oh good! My English husband misses the Indian food from home. We didn't have any good Indian restaurants in FL. Will take him here soon!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
Oh good! My English husband misses the Indian food from home. We didn't have any good Indian restaurants in FL. Will take him here soon!
Indian food in the US will not match the standards in Britain. After all, Chicken Tandoori is your staple food and y'all go to "pubs to grab a pint and curry".

Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy but I would hardly call it excellent. That place is new and needs work. The last time I went about 2 weeks ago they mentioned that one of the cooks had been fired, so one of the other cooks was working that night. I've been there twice and to the sister restaurant Dawat maybe 4-5 times. The best part about Swad is Mangesh (sp?) one of the waiters. He transferred from Dawat to Swad when it opened. When we had big groups he would take the orders and then recite them back from memory. It was uncanny.

I've been to several Indian places in the Triangle as well as some in Silicon Valley. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy but I would hardly call it excellent. That place is new and needs work. The last time I went about 2 weeks ago they mentioned that one of the cooks had been fired, so one of the other cooks was working that night. I've been there twice and to the sister restaurant Dawat maybe 4-5 times. The best part about Swad is Mangesh (sp?) one of the waiters. He transferred from Dawat to Swad when it opened. When we had big groups he would take the orders and then recite them back from memory. It was uncanny.

I've been to several Indian places in the Triangle as well as some in Silicon Valley. Maybe I'm just too picky.
Who do you like the best in the area? My husband wants to try one this coming weekend. (knowing it wont be as good as in the UK but at least there are options here. In FL we only had one about 25 miles from us and it was not very good).

Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Who do you like the best in the area? My husband wants to try one this coming weekend. (knowing it wont be as good as in the UK but at least there are options here. In FL we only had one about 25 miles from us and it was not very good).
I still like Dawat the best. I just wish they hadn't lost that great waiter. I like everything at Dawat, the food, the gulab jamun, the mango lassi etc. I guess if Swad is closer to you try that. But if it's not too far, try Dawat in Morrisville.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I still like Dawat the best. I just wish they hadn't lost that great waiter. I like everything at Dawat, the food, the gulab jamun, the mango lassi etc. I guess if Swad is closer to you try that. But if it's not too far, try Dawat in Morrisville.
I just looked at their menu at Dawat. I think he will like it there. Now, if only we had a sitter. Though in saying that our four year old loves curry & papadums. :-)

Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Quote:
There are a ton in Cary/Morrisville. That would be his best bet. Azitra is pretty consistent. I also like Kadhai in Pleasant Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary