Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,706 times

Advertisements

My DH and I moved to the Triangle last summer and are looking for fun weekend activities to do to get to know the area better. We enjoying hiking and outdoor activities, though this probably isn't the best season for it. We also enjoy farmer's markets, museums, etc. We live in Chapel Hill and are looking for activities within an hour drive.

Also, of note, we have a 2 month old infant now, which somewhat limits our choices for activities (though not THAT much, since she sleeps so much at this point!). TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:03 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper12 View Post
My DH and I moved to the Triangle last summer and are looking for fun weekend activities to do to get to know the area better. We enjoying hiking and outdoor activities, though this probably isn't the best season for it. We also enjoy farmer's markets, museums, etc. We live in Chapel Hill and are looking for activities within an hour drive.

Also, of note, we have a 2 month old infant now, which somewhat limits our choices for activities (though not THAT much, since she sleeps so much at this point!). TIA!
Hi!

For the upcoming warm weather, I recommend checking out parkgeek.com. You can sign up for weekly emails with lots of suggestions for free things to do in the triangle. As for things to do this time of year, I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure that out myself! (BTW, congratulations on your new baby! )

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
Hiking:

Umstead State Park is my favorite place to hike in the Triangle area. Usually using the Cary access at I-40 and Harrison. Company Mill Trail is a good start, or if you want longer you can combine with the Sycamore Trail. This is good any time of the year and gets a lot of use.

Other places to investigate - Eno River SP and Harris Lake are good close options, too. Raven Rock is a good one when you want to explore outside the immediate area, but still within an hour or so.

If you expand your radius/time just a bit, Hanging Rock north of Winston-Salem is worth a drive.

Other outdoor things

American Tobacco Trail is a great place to take an easy bike ride.
If you like getting out of the water in any capacity, Jordan Lake, Falls, Lake Crabtree are all nice. You can rent sailboats, kayaks and canoes at Lake Crabtree.
There are paddle trips on the Eno (Wafting the Eno) and Neuse when it gets warmer.

Lots and lots of greenway. I like hitting some of the smaller lakes that have 2-3 mile trails (often paved) around them.

NC Zoo in Asheville is a good daytrip.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,706 times
Thanks for these great suggestions! The parkgeek website is great. And we'll definitely ck out these hikes in the near future.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper12 View Post
Thanks for these great suggestions! The parkgeek website is great. And we'll definitely ck out these hikes in the near future.
Since you live in Chapel Hill, may I suggest the Carrboro or Hillsborough Farmers' Markets? Also, there is a piece of the Eno State Park in Hillsborough (off Virginia Cates Rd)--nice easy hike with great views from the cliffs. They also have guided (flora and fauna) hikes along the Eno in Hillsborough...not sure of the link but Parks and Rec should have it. In the warmer months, you can check out Last Friday celebrations in Hillsborough (free music on the Courthouse lawn) the last Friday of each month from April through Sept.
Of course, there will be Hogg Day in June (again Hillsborough), and also the Occoneechi Tribe has their Pow-Wow in June. That's always been very interesting, but this year it will be on their own tribal grounds outside of Mebane (about 30 minutes from Chapel Hill). These are all one time events, but when it gets warmer there are so many such events you'll fill up your weekend calendar.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Joe Miller's Blog "Get Out, Get Fit" for the News and Observer is worth bookmarking and checking out:

newsobserver.com |Get Out! Get Fit!

He also recently had a book published with some excellent NC Hikes (not just the Triangle).

Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,004 times
The Durham and Carrboro Farmers Markets are both open for the winter, though I know Durham is only every other week. The State Farmer's Market in Raleigh is still open every day. The Raleigh Flea Market is also a fun experience.

Dire Wolf already mentioned some of our favorite hikes, but he must have been sleepy when he mentioned the zoo, 'cause it's in Asheboro, not Asheville. Asheboro is a considerably shorter drive!

Duke Gardens are always worth a visit. The Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh is very nice, especially for getting your own landscaping ideas. I've also heard good things about the NC Arboretum in Chapel Hill but haven't had a chance to go yet.

You have three choices of art museums: Ackland in Chapel Hill, the Nasher in Durham, and the NC Museum of Art in Raleigh. The NC Museum of Art has a great sculpture walk outside. Be sure to check out the Cloud Chamber!

Raleigh also has a free state Museum of History and Museum of Natural History. They are across the street from each other. Durham has the Museum of Life & Science, which has a lot of hands on exhibits as your kid gets older.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Yeah, I keep posting late at night after working long days. Thanks for the catch.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,220 times
There's also great hiking in Chapel Hill. In town, there's the Bolin Creek trail that runs between MLK by Fosters and the Chapel Hill Community center. A couple miles long and paved, so it's a good choice if you are using a stroller.

Theres also 10-15 miles of hiking/mountain biking trails which are quite nice along Bolin Creek further upstream. We always called them the High School Trails, they are most easily entered at Seawell elementary, with additional entrances at Chapel Hill High School, along Estes Rd and at Wilson park in carrboro. Lots of elevation change, great place to hike (too rough for stroller).

A little further out, Duke Forest is also nice for a stroller. Easiest entrance is next to the Fire Station on Whitfield, across the street from Sunrise. About 2-3 mile 3/4 loop of fire road (you have to walk back on Whitfield to complete the loop, we usually backtrack to avoid this). Additionally, probably 15-20 miles of hiking trails in here, too rough for a stroller, with lots of elevation change going up and down from the creek.

Lastly, the triangle land conservancy has a nice trail running along new hope creek between Mt Sinai Rd and Turkey Farm Rd. About two miles of a relatively flat, very pretty hike along the creek, with an additional mile leaving the creek and giving some elevation change.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Joe Miller's Blog "Get Out, Get Fit" for the News and Observer is worth bookmarking and checking out:

newsobserver.com |Get Out! Get Fit!

He also recently had a book published with some excellent NC Hikes (not just the Triangle).
My copy just arrived in the mail today from Amazon.com. I also bought "Trails of the Triangle" which details 400 hikes in the immediate area. Both are in the "library" now awaiting my morning constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary