Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:00 PM

42 posts, read 83,149 times

Advertisements

Considering again a move to the triangle area. It would be my wife and I (same sex couple), our two dogs, and hopefully kids soonish. Chapel Hill/Carrboro would be great but I don't think it's in our budget (about 200k, for 2-3 bedrooms and a big yard.) I'm interested in some of the neighborhoods in southwest Durham like Woodcroft and Valley Run, and I like that it's close to Chapel Hill. However, I'd be working in downtown Raleigh and some of the ITB neighborhoods there look doable - I'm looking mainly on the eastside sort of near the Trader Joes (extending a little past the beltline in that area too.) Schools seems better over here too.

Which one of these areas would be better for us? Any other area suggestions? We're late twenties, laidback, creative types, like to be close to good food and shopping but don't need it to be walking distance. Really like quiet, leafy, wooded areas and trails and parks are a huge plus. We'd like to know there are at least a few other LGBT families in our neighborhood so that our future kiddos aren't the odd ones out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
both would be fine, but I'd do ITB if you're going to be working in Raleigh.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 PM

273 posts, read 562,705 times
You should check out the medfield estates neighborhood. Great mix of folks and close to just about everything. The only trade-off is the homes are older. Most houses are on community well and their own septic. Most of us pay county taxes only and we do not have an HOA. Been here over 2 years and really like it.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 PM

449 posts, read 700,103 times
I know out ITB neighborhood (Glenwood-Brooklyn) would very much be a good fit, and at last year's neighborhood block party we were so surprised to see all the young children! I think there's a lot of young families choosing to live in town.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 PM

142 posts, read 283,905 times
As far as being an LGBT family (of which, frankly, we can't have enough!) I think you'll be all right anywhere in the places you mentioned. I've heard less than good things about the Durham neighborhoods you mentioned from people who lived there, especially Woodcroft, but I can't personally say one way or the other because I've only ever lived in Raleigh. I'm in a gay relationship as well and live in North Ridge/Midtown (there's been some debate as to the border) and have lived up and down Falls of Neuse Rd. It's very easy to get into downtown Raleigh via this road.

Glad you're with us!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
As "Family" (male), I can tell you that anywhere in the Triangle is generally going to be Lesbian-friendly except perhaps really rural outlying areas, not that you won't necessarily have a****les for neighbors.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro in general, Durham near Duke/Ninth Street, and downtown Raleigh are the more "urban" areas with "quote-unquote liberal" ways of life, but that's not to say you can't live in the suburbs and be 100% accepted. Wake, Durham, and Orange counties were 3 of the 8 in NC that voted AGAINST the anti-marriage-equality amendment that passed in 2012.

I would suggest checking out local resources such as the LGBT Center of Raleigh (which serves the whole Triangle) and getting on their email list, (and paying them a visit).

You can PM me for specific questions, too--I seem to have taken on the "Gay Welcome Wagon" role on this forum

Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 PM

@Francois I'm gay and I was born at Rex and lived here all my life. Where is my welcome basket?!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post
@Francois I'm gay and I was born at Rex and lived here all my life. Where is my welcome basket?!
OH, what a loaded question...

Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 PM

Lol! Shizam!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 AM

42 posts, read 83,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post
As far as being an LGBT family (of which, frankly, we can't have enough!) I think you'll be all right anywhere in the places you mentioned. I've heard less than good things about the Durham neighborhoods you mentioned from people who lived there, especially Woodcroft, but I can't personally say one way or the other because I've only ever lived in Raleigh. I'm in a gay relationship as well and live in North Ridge/Midtown (there's been some debate as to the border) and have lived up and down Falls of Neuse Rd. It's very easy to get into downtown Raleigh via this road.

Glad you're with us!
Thanks for your insight! Can you elaborate on the "less than good" things you've heard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary