Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to figure out the problem here. Are the students upset because the disciplinary policies currently in place are causing the students to break the rules and get in trouble? Or are the students upset because they are breaking the rules on their own free will and don't feel like they should be disciplined for doing so? Confused.

Students draw attention to Wake Schools disciplinary policies | abc11.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
The issues are clear: Suspensions and similar disciplinary measures are disproportionately imposed on minority students.

Also, "zero-tolerance" policies leave no room to ensure that a response to a particular infraction is appropriate and practical. Such policies sometimes lead to absurd results.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The issues are clear: Suspensions and similar disciplinary measures are disproportionately imposed on minority students.

Also, "zero-tolerance" policies leave no room to ensure that a response to a particular infraction is appropriate and practical. Such policies sometimes lead to absurd results.
How do the disciplinary measures only affect minority students?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM

See these articles for more background:

Groups file federal complaint over Wake County school policing | Education | NewsObserver.com

http://www.wral.com/report-wake-scho...ine-/12794029/

Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

I'm about as anti-profiling as a person can be, but I'm not sure how this is the issue. The rules are applied without bias, I've witnessed it first hand with my very own son (a long story, and one that occurred a few years back) who is Caucasian. The problems with the rules is that they're too binary, either you did the deed or you didn't, and doesn't take into account often critically important details. For example, a friends son was suspended because upon being assaulted by another student on the bus, defended himself and hit back. I'm no advocate for fighting, but when your only choices are be beaten or try and defend yourself I think it's quite clear which way to go. But the rules state that anyone caught fighting will be suspended.

And I get why the rules are so aggressive, but when we remove the ability to consider all relevant information before determining a proper course of action, we also limit our options in terms of doing something that might actually help make things better. So many of the repeat offenders need to remain within a structured environment to have any shot at making it in the world, the last thing they need is to be sent home.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM

621 posts, read 982,549 times
It's a campaign for a more precipitous decline in public schooling standards. Entities like NC HEAT and Legal Aid of NC are on a pernicious quest to plumb new depths in student achievement and teacher morale under the guise of racial discrimination. They think it is all right for hooligans to remain in classrooms and disrupt those who want to get educated to improve their lot through ethical, hard work. They would rather use examples like Garcia to further destroy the school system by lobbying for lax standards than use the Garcia story to reform those keen on entering the school-to-prison pipeline.

But, I don't mind the total eradication of disciplinary and other antiquated policies in public schools if parents can receive a tax credit for exiting the public school system.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 PM

This article may also be of interest:

Yes, Schools Do Discriminate Against Students Of Color -- Reports

Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
the problem begins with the parents of all the students.

I can remember how we were allowed to behave, 35 years ago, in elementary school. Today, too many young (elementary aged) kids come to school with apparently a belief that it's OK to not care about what school personnel tell you to do. Why I don't know. But I've witnessed it at 3 different schools.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
I have witnessed minority students get suspended really only after there where many, many, other instances where they should have been suspended and it was not done whereas white students are dealt with to the letter of the law. The kids that are always in trouble get away with so much before anything, if anything, is done. More often than not these are your minority students.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
From what I gather, the student is upset and/or others feel that she should not have been persecuted criminally? At that age everyone should have some real world consequences for fighting beyond school consequences. If not, then are we relying on the schools to enforce behavior or be the educator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary