Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

Well, get back to me one way or the other in 2019!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM

40 posts, read 83,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhlebiczki View Post
Why do you think we don't have one?
I'm not a huge fan, but I feel like the demographics around here are screaming for one.
They'll build one eventually. Even a mini-IKEA. There's a mini in Cincinnati, and it's seriously just as good as the big ones I've been to in Chicago and Houston. Better, actually.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
They have a lot of great things in there other than furniture ! Housewares, home decorating items, etc. ( not to mention their cafeteria ) 3 hrs. Is way too far, they need one closer to the Triangle !

Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
I'm surprised the area has been passed over for an IKEA simply due to the population density of college students. I thought that their target audiences were college students/young people/families just starting out?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
[Since the thread on Wegman's is getting so much attention, I figured I'd resurrect this thread on another hot-button retail topic.]

Maybe we can snag a mini-IKEA like this:

Quote:
The world's largest furniture maker will open its smallest retail location in Canada in London, Ont., later this year, it was announced Wednesday morning.

The 20,000-square-foot pick-up centre will feature a limited number of items for purchase and immediate takeaway and 10 tablets on site for customers to browse and buy on Welcome to IKEA.com - IKEA. It will offer services including merchandise pick-up, home delivery, assembly, planning, returns and exchanges and online sales support, according to a company release.

A regular Ikea location is about 260,000 to 340,000 square feet.
Ikea to test retail concept at new location opening in Ontario | Toronto Star

Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
[Since the thread on Wegman's is getting so much attention, I figured I'd resurrect this thread on another hot-button retail topic.]

Maybe we can snag a mini-IKEA like this:

Ikea to test retail concept at new location opening in Ontario | Toronto Star
I'd rather wait for a real IKEA instead of settling for a mini store like this one.
Unless the Triangle is recognized for the size it really is (instead of being seen as two metros) it will not have an IKEA in its near future. The Triangle is sitting near 2.1 million people at the moment and will nearing 2.3 million by the end of the decade. However, just the CSA alone won't justify an IKEA. Charlotte has the advantage of being flanked to its north by the Triad & Hickory, Asheville to the west and the Upstate SC area to its southwest to draw customers. A Triangle store would have to pull new customers that aren't already served and those would be coming from Eastern NC. The Fayetteville area is well over a half million now and Rocky Mount adds 300,000+ to the mix. Combine this with the market in Wilmington two hours east and maybe you have a large enough market for justification.
That all said, the Triangle is much better positioned to eventually receive an IKEA than if one had been placed in the Triad. If that had been done, I'd take it as a signal that IKEA only intended to have one store in the state. Because they didn't do that, I'd have to assume that an IKEA will be in the Triangle's future for it and Eastern NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary