Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times

Advertisements

I've been with USAA my entire life and have never filed a homeowners claim. There have been no changes to my home nor policy EXCEPT that this year USAA decided to increase my premium almost 20%! When I called them to ask them why, they could only tell me that my state approved the increase.

I know recently that NC Dept of Insurance approved an increase effective July 1, 2013 however each region within NC will increase by a different rate. The Raleigh Durham area is only 2.8%. The coastal areas are approx 20%. I explained this to USAA and they said all we can tell you is that your state approved it (this was by multiple reps). So today I called the NC Dept of Insurance and he said that he has heard this about USAA and some other companies and that I can file a complaint to find out specifically why my policy has increased. I plan to do so as well as request quotes from other companies. It just makes me so mad that over the past 7 years my rate has doubled and to jump 20% in one year with no reason just pisses me off (sorry to be so blunt)!!

Has anyone else seen a big increase in HO's insurance this year? Does anyone else have USAA and did this happen to you?

I would also love to know of some other good companies (Amica, etc.). You can DM me this info if not allowed per TOS. And just to note...I have both my HO's and 3 cars under USAA.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,934 times
State Farm was going to jack up our rates by 30% a couple of years ago, so we switched to Amica, which offered essentially the same price as what State Farm was charging before the increase. Believe our increase on Amica was about 5% this year.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM

I also wanted to add something that I think is kind of shady on USAA's part.....

I never was even notified ahead of time that the policy rate was increasing! Out of all the homes I've owned I have never had an escrow account and have paid USAA directly. Now only when my rate increases drastically do they send the bill to our Mortgage company so that when I'm finally alerted about all of this (of course Mortgage company refuses to pay bill) the policy has already renewed. Of course I can cancel...but had they sent me the notice/bill ahead of time like they usually do I could have shopped around BEFORE my new rate went into effect!!! Does anyone else think this is kind of shady???

Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,767 times
Well that sucks. I also have USAA and just moved into a new home a few weeks ago. The rate is very competitive, so I hope we won't be getting a 20% increase right off the bat.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,479,280 times
I just called USAA, They said they changed the boundary lines for our area and some people will be seeing an increase but others will not. What part of town do you live in?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
We saw an increase due to adding a garage-apartment; otherwise almost no increase this year.

However we've grown less satisfied with their insurance coverage over the years and are considering switching. I've had their products since 1992 so it's hard to even consider having a different insurer.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM

450 posts, read 1,554,447 times
I just looked at mine and it went up in April ($75 a year, from 699 to 774). That's about a 10% increase. Maybe I should shop around and see what other rates I can get.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
My insurance on some rental property in Chapel Hill doubled this year. I was in shock. When I called the agent I was told that he had no control over the rates, it was set by corporate and all HO rates have gone up because of foreclosures, loss of business and too many claims by homeowners for thefts or metals, ac units, etc. This is with State Farm. Never a claim in over 50 years of ownership on rental property which I think is pretty rare.
We have USAA on our cars because they stopped covering rental property about 5 years ago. I admit I, like most people, do not shop around once we get established with a company.

Now I think I will do some comparison for both cars, home and investment property.

So who do you suggest we look at?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,029,727 times
We have homeowner's insurance through Geico and it was the lowest price we found (we compared probably 4-5). I already had it on my car and was very impressed with how they handled a wreck, that was my fault, a few years before. Surprisingly, they have great customer service. So it made sense to use them for multiple reasons.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'll definitely be getting quotes from other companies. Just hate to change since I've had them my whole life for autos and homes :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary