Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Vicki was this a large, overweight person at the USPS? If so it can be so bad I have actually thought about video recording it and sending it into the USPS management. This particular person hates their job, and customers so much. I haven't been there in a while I wonder if they got another person to staff it.
Yes, she was rather large. According to my friend who lives close by, this is the person who is there every day. My friend says that this woman closes the post office for lunch as she takes a walk around the area.

She was nice to the lady ahead of me too. Maybe she was having a good day?!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Default Build it and they will come

If either Youngsville or Rolesville had a wealthy investor develop a planned community of 1,200 to 1,500 square foot ranch style homes served by fiber-optic connections, people would be standing in line to buy them. I say this because environmental conditions are making such homes the smart way to live in the future. Going forward, low energy bills and the smart utilization of space are going to become much more desirable than granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
If either Youngsville or Rolesville had a wealthy investor develop a planned community of 1,200 to 1,500 square foot ranch style homes served by fiber-optic connections, people would be standing in line to buy them. I say this because environmental conditions are making such homes the smart way to live in the future. Going forward, low energy bills and the smart utilization of space are going to become much more desirable than granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.
I agree about smaller, smarter, more efficient homes, but the masses don't want that. They want big sq ft, granite, stainless (OK I like the last two as well), etc.

Have any of you driven to Youngsville? I'm over by Rolesville and it's a 25+ minute drive for me when I go to the Co-Op. You're talking about a 45 min commute at best to downtown Raleigh, Knightdale, etc. There really is no need for a development there...

Rolesville is the best candidate for development but it just doesn't fit the mold like Wake Forest does.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Let's all stay on topic, please.

I think Rolesville is located ideally to blow up like WF did, but they need to get organized. Youngsville is in Franklin County, is more rural, and isn't going to have the same appeal as Rolesville.

People may gripe about schools in Wake, but they sure don't want to move to Youngsville and have kids in school way out in Franklinton for high school when they are working in RTP. It's just a bit far out there. I used to teach in Franklin. It's kind of the opposite direction from the center of the Triangle.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 PM

83 posts, read 130,780 times
Quote:
This sounds exactly like the type of house I'm looking for.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea6243 View Post
This sounds exactly like the type of house I'm looking for.
Almost everybody I know across several States is looking for this type of home. The irony is that it doesn't matter if they're young or old.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
The section of Heritage that has a Rolesville address has these homes but they are larger than they need to be. And, very high end upgrades so the dollar per square foot ends up being $150 and higher. Much too high for anyone but empty nesters.

I think we'll see more of these homes but not sure if it will be in Rolesville. Builders are hunting for land!

Vicki

Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 AM

204 posts, read 263,709 times
Quote:
I'm all for that!! No multi-story homes. Split level ok but prefer ranch anyway.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 AM

342 posts, read 388,229 times
I lived in Youngsville for 10 years and have lived in Wake Forest for the past 3 1/2 years. We actually lived in the Woodcroft subdivision which is right at the Wake, Granville, Franklin line and was about 200 yards into Granville county with a Youngsville address. I agree with the above posts that Youngsville will not be the next Wake Forest. But I think it is a wonderful town that is the perfect fit for a lot of people, but it will not have the mass appeal that Wake Forest did. And honestly, I think that is a good thing. There are things that I miss about Youngsville and there are things that I really love about living in Wake Forest. They just really different little towns.

1. The distance to Raleigh. When we moved out to Youngsville in 1999, we could be at the intersection of Millbrook and Capital in 17 minutes because there was very little development between the two points. 540 didn't go to Capital, Wakefield wasn't there, Target didn't exist and Triangle Town Center wasn't built. But since the congestion and traffic made it take so much longer to get to Youngsville. It's a hike and you spend 30 minutes in the car alot. But to us it was worth it at the time, but when the kids began getting into more activities, we moved into Heritage. The good point is that with more moving retail in Wake Forest and more in Youngsville (getting a grocery store was huge) you have to drive less. But if you work in Raleigh, it's a hike.

2. Schools. The elementary schools in both Youngsville and Granville are great. But the middle and high schools, not so much. And your kids end up very far away, either Franklinton or up near Butner for high schools. They are all pretty rough in the upper grades. I think that unless the schools get a lot better, then Youngsville just won't turn into Wake Forest.

3. The feel. Youngsville has a much for rural vibe and country feel than Wake Forest. It's very down to earth and laid back up there. There are many locals who have lived for generations as well as people who view Youngsville as a suburb or Raleigh. While I LOVED that part of Youngsville and that is the main thing I miss in WF, I know that doesn't appeal to everyone.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The section of Heritage that has a Rolesville address has these homes but they are larger than they need to be. And, very high end upgrades so the dollar per square foot ends up being $150 and higher. Much too high for anyone but empty nesters.

I think we'll see more of these homes but not sure if it will be in Rolesville. Builders are hunting for land!

Vicki
Aren't there big swaths of undeveloped land just north of the 401 and 96 interchange? With 401 being widened I would suspect that a commute from this area to downtown Raleigh wouldn't be too bad.

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 05-19-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary