Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

one more story in the continuing saga of embarrassments from UNC. I know this isn't new but the Times story will reach many people who may not have heard of this.

Former North Carolina basketball star Rashad McCants says he took sham classes - ESPN

Old 06-06-2014, 12:57 PM

715 posts, read 889,246 times
Sad but this happens all over the country so not sure this unique other than the fact that the UNC system is human and not infallible

Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Every big university that makes money from sports, does this. Yes, I said EVERY. I've seen enough of it to know it's not just isolated to the schools you hate, or your rivals.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 PM

190 posts, read 276,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Every big university that makes money from sports, does this. Yes, I said EVERY. I've seen enough of it to know it's not just isolated to the schools you hate, or your rivals.
Exactly. Duke, State, and Carolina all do things like this. John Calipari is notorious for this sort of behavior - and look at the recruits he brings in.

As a Duke fan I would love to rag on Carolina. But the blame doesn't sit with them. This is across the board in almost all college athletics.

All these 1 and done basketball players - everyone knows they don't care two bits about their classwork and college education. They are there to play basketball and make money.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:40 PM

288 posts, read 361,121 times
Is that the same Rashad McCants who said famously said that the combined academic and athletic obligations at UNC were "like being in jail"? Is he now saying that he didn't really have any academic obligations?

I'm not sure which Rashad McCants I'm supposed to believe.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Is that the same Rashad McCants who said famously said that the combined academic and athletic obligations at UNC were "like being in jail"? Is he now saying that he didn't really have any academic obligations?

Yes, the one in the same. Claimed playing for UNC was like being in prison. He is not the most reliable witness at this point.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Yes, the one in the same. Claimed playing for UNC was like being in prison. He is not the most reliable witness at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post

I heard Art Chansky on WCHL tonight talking about this & said McCants was a lot of trouble and hard to control when he was on the team. He described him as just short of crazy. His words, not mine.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 18,042 times
A bunch of players from the 2004-05 team released a statement that all McCants stated was not true. If that is the case, what is McCants motivation for saying this, or was he the only one on the team who had this experience?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I doubt he was the only one.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:47 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
A handful of college athletes know early on, that they will not be going pro, at least not at the NBA level. And some of those guys will pursue a degree. But for many college athletes, college sports is nothing but a required springboard into the NBA or NFL. These athletes usually need help getting into college and then need help to stay there. Every team has these players. The ones who only barely made the required SAT score, or who had someone take the SAT for them, etc. And the colleges NEED/WANT these players on their teams. So they do what is necessary to keep them. The coaches know, but I'm sure don't get regular sit-reps on these guys and their academics. The less the coaches know, the better. Colleges are full of "staffers" who can make these things happen. If you've ever known college athletes, or taken classes with them, you'd know this to be true. I've seen it firsthand. And if the college itself doesn't have a paper trail, you can probably find pro agents fingerprints all over "tutors", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary