Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:02 AM

644 posts, read 842,767 times

Advertisements

So, yesterday while mowing the lawn I spotted something about 3-4 inches long that jumped when I moved a plastic thing in the yard. I do not have that big of a yard. I did notice some holes in the leaves of my Pepper and Jalapeno plants. Do I need to do something about this? If yes, what? Is it common in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,678 times
Seeing mice in the yard is quite rare, unless at night, around a birdfeeder. Sure it wasn't a frog, lizard or skink? It might also have been a chipmunk. The holes in the leaves of your plants are from insects and other garden pests. When animals eat in your garden, it's usually deer and rabbits, and they'll eat the entire leaf, and sometimes the stalk!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
I did notice some holes in the leaves of my Pepper and Jalapeno plants. Do I need to do something about this?
You could spray the plant with insecticide if you are OK with that. Otherwise, spray with a detergent solution and hot pepper.

The animal is likely a chipmunk. They are cute and harmless.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
If it had a short tail, it was a vole. Look just like mice and are active during the day. My yard is full of them. My cat nabs about 1/month.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Seeing mice in the yard is quite rare, unless at night, around a birdfeeder. Sure it wasn't a frog, lizard or skink? It might also have been a chipmunk. The holes in the leaves of your plants are from insects and other garden pests. When animals eat in your garden, it's usually deer and rabbits, and they'll eat the entire leaf, and sometimes the stalk!
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't able to tell because it was quite late. The thing seemed too chubby to be a skink or a lizard. And, it didn't "hop" so I don't think that it was a frog. It could have been a chipmunk but it seemed greyish.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You could spray the plant with insecticide if you are OK with that. Otherwise, spray with a detergent solution and hot pepper.

The animal is likely a chipmunk. They are cute and harmless.
I don't really care about the plants. I am worried about whatever that thing is entering my house.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,678 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't able to tell because it was quite late. The thing seemed too chubby to be a skink or a lizard. And, it didn't "hop" so I don't think that it was a frog. It could have been a chipmunk but it seemed greyish.
Not saying it couldn't be a mouse. It very well could have. But seeing them outdoors is quite rare.

They can be prevented from getting into houses. Anyone who tells you you have to learn to live with them, is crazy or lazy. Referring back to an old thread here, where someone was told to get used to mice. Chances are, all of our properties have plenty of rodents living outside. Just keep them there. Keep your home plugged up tight! Especially around water lines! It amazes me how many people are content to NOT keep their homes plugged up, but will set traps on a regular basis to catch mice. I occasionally see evidence of mice under my house. So I'll set traps or put poison out. It works. I can set traps just inside of the crawl space, and the next day they will have caught one. I do this a few times until I stop catching them. Seems to work for a while. I don't see any reason to keep snake bait in my garage or under my house! And usually killing one or two seems to last for a while. Last time I had them, a bag of birdseed was left out. I killed 3 or 4 and the traps stopped catching.

I live in the woods. I've been in this house for over 8 years. I've had one mouse in the house. He got in to the laundry room, where dog food was kept. I found his point of entry, under the sink in the laundry room. I sealed up the drywall around the drain pipe. I set out two traps in my laundry room, and never caught anything. After a month of setting traps out, I figured he was under the house, where I had also set a couple of taps...and caught one mouse! I figure the snakes keep most of them away!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Not saying it couldn't be a mouse. It very well could have. But seeing them outdoors is quite rare.

They can be prevented from getting into houses. Anyone who tells you you have to learn to live with them, is crazy or lazy. Referring back to an old thread here, where someone was told to get used to mice. Chances are, all of our properties have plenty of rodents living outside. Just keep them there. Keep your home plugged up tight! Especially around water lines! It amazes me how many people are content to NOT keep their homes plugged up, but will set traps on a regular basis to catch mice. I occasionally see evidence of mice under my house. So I'll set traps or put poison out. It works. I can set traps just inside of the crawl space, and the next day they will have caught one. I do this a few times until I stop catching them. Seems to work for a while. I don't see any reason to keep snake bait in my garage or under my house! And usually killing one or two seems to last for a while. Last time I had them, a bag of birdseed was left out. I killed 3 or 4 and the traps stopped catching.

I live in the woods. I've been in this house for over 8 years. I've had one mouse in the house. He got in to the laundry room, where dog food was kept. I found his point of entry, under the sink in the laundry room. I sealed up the drywall around the drain pipe. I set out two traps in my laundry room, and never caught anything. After a month of setting traps out, I figured he was under the house, where I had also set a couple of taps...and caught one mouse! I figure the snakes keep most of them away!
Thanks again for the reply! What do you mean by keeping the water lines tight? Pardon my ignorance. Also, I don't have a crawl space, I guess that is a good thing? Do I have to worry about them getting into my attic from an exhaust line? What kind of outdoor trap did you get?

Again, I really appreciate all your input!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
So, yesterday while mowing the lawn I spotted something about 3-4 inches long that jumped when I moved a plastic thing in the yard. I do not have that big of a yard. I did notice some holes in the leaves of my Pepper and Jalapeno plants. Do I need to do something about this? If yes, what? Is it common in this area?
Could have been a chipmunk, mouse, vole, skink, mole, lots of things. Rodents are common throughout the continent. I doubt it was a chipmunk; you would have seen them in the yard. Probably a mouse or a vole. It's nothing to worry about really and there isn't much you can do about it. You don't keep pet food or bird seed out in the yard, do you?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Could have been a chipmunk, mouse, vole, skink, mole, lots of things. Rodents are common throughout the continent. I doubt it was a chipmunk; you would have seen them in the yard. Probably a mouse or a vole. It's nothing to worry about really and there isn't much you can do about it. You don't keep pet food or bird seed out in the yard, do you?
I do not keep pet food outside and nor do I keep bird seeds. I heard about my neighbor having issues with rats because he tried to keep bird food outside to attract birds which in turn lead to rats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary