Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 04:38 PM

39 posts, read 194,668 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a good recommendation for a pest control company that installs and maintains the Sentricon termite bait system? Our current home termite warranty is about to expire and I am shopping around. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
I would strongly advise against termite bait stations. It is not a good idea to bait termites towards your house. I inspect houses, spend time with termite inspectors almost every day, and have seen active termites in homes more times than I can count with bait stations present. A yearly inspection and spot treating if detected is the only thing you need to. For that, I would recommend either Swift Creek Exterminating, or Custom Termite and Pest. Termites work very slowly, the bait stations are nothing more than a revenue enhancement. Best of luck!

Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM

39 posts, read 194,668 times
Appreciate the advice. I'll look into both recommendations. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Most termites I've ever seen was in a house with "bait station" protection. I would NEVER go that way! The above recommendations are good.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,964 times
Maybe put the bait stations around the perimeter of the property line so that any termites that were "tempted" would actually be pulled away from the house before they took the poison apple to their demise? Or if you have some nasty neighbors, put them near their ladder or other offensive yard materials. Build a nice copperhead-friendly nest of yard debris near it even.

I wouldn't pay any of these salesman types until I had reason to believe termites were invading already or getting close, but I did have an experience once with poison baits on a rental property I owned at the time. Previous owner had lots of mulch and miscellaneous wood pieces around the perimeter of the house, but no signs of termites on the house itself during inspection when I bought it. After buying it, I could pick up pieces of wood that were about a foot away from the foundation that were completely infested, active with termites right there in my hand....but the infestation was clearly localized to that one area. So I spent maybe $30 for those in-ground poison baits and put them all around the area where I found the termites. They had pieces of poison cardboard inside plastic stakes that went into the ground. Within days the termites were in them and the cardboard inside the plastic disappeared, but after that no more termites anywhere near the home.

Termite problem thwarted, thirty bucks later much to the dismay of Orkin or whoever else might like to put me on a monthly payment plan to mitigate bug fear. So I'm not sure baits are completely useless, the important thing is to engage brain and evaluate on a case by case basis instead of trying to apply one size fits all strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary