Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 PM

76 posts, read 112,494 times

Advertisements

Usually when posting in the forums, everyone asks posters to be very specific about themselves, so I will try my best! I am from northeastern Pennsylvania and am currently researching areas to look for jobs and to visit to get a feel for. It is very boring where I currently live and is basically full of aging senior citizens and its really hard to meet new people my age- I am 22. Young people from here are all leaving the area, so I am going to be doing the same.

I have seasonal depression and get really down in the winter months here and its not something medication can cure, like so many people think. I know weather is always a factor, but for my own well being it is very important to consider. I hate being cooped up indoors, and I am far from a homebody. I love the hot weather and I know that wouldn't be a problem. People explained to me more about the pace of life here and I think it would be good for me since sometimes that anxiety/depression can arise. I also hear the people are very friendly as well.

I am a very career orientated person and would like to meet more people like that, as opposed to couples or people that want to get married or start families. I enjoy the single life and love travel.

Aside from that, I love hiking, hanging out at lakes/pools running, photography, so I'm a big outdoors person and I take any chance to run outside that I could. It would be good to know where there are safe places to run and bike. I live a healthy lifestyle and am a vegetarian, overall I'm a very social person. I like the nightlife scene, just not excessively. I am a night person and usually will stay out late on weekends and usually do any shopping in the evenings. Everything closes early where I am currently live. I also love a diverse amount of restaurants, Asian, Mexican, etc.

What is attracting me to Raleigh is that it seems like a great city to start out in for a college grad. I'm thinking that I am going to have to find a roommate to start out. I have a degree in communications/advertising which I would like to apply to the tourism industry, so working for a hotel or something travel related, another reason I am attracted to Raleigh. So there's some more info, I'd be glad to share anything else. I am also looking into cities in Florida, and Charlotte and Charleston, SC.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Well, Raleigh still has four seasons, but coming from the upper midwest, the angle of the sun is higher all winter, and it is rarely if ever bitterly cold. To give you some idea, I can golf 12 months a year (but not every day in December, January, etc...) You don't have darkness at 4:00 PM in winter, but then, its not light out at 9:00 PM in the summer.

I would say that Raleigh is good for young single people, but better for young families. I am sure you wouldn't have any trouble meeting similar career minded people (at least, no more trouble than dating in general.)

There are lots of great places to run and hike outside.

Raleigh isn't what you would call a tourist destination, but there are certainly hotels in the area you might find work at.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,873,745 times
Personally, I found Raleigh not sunny enough and too rainy, and too far from the mountains, although there are a lot of greenway trails for walking/biking.

When you check out SC, you should swing by Greenville, as well! We have a lot of sunny days and are just an hour from mountain hiking. Downtown has a whole assortment of different types of restaurants.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,240,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
I have a degree in communications/advertising which I would like to apply to the tourism industry, so working for a hotel or something travel related, another reason I am attracted to Raleigh. So there's some more info, I'd be glad to share anything else. I am also looking into cities in Florida, and Charlotte and Charleston, SC.

Thanks!
I believe Florida would be a better fit for you. Tourism is very big there!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:35 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,312,371 times
Raleigh has four seasons like another poster said, and it's pretty dreary in the winter time. I would look at Florida or quite honestly the desert southwest..

Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 AM

621 posts, read 982,863 times
If avoiding or minimizing seasonal depression is important, I suggest you consider CA, TX, etc. The lower/ southern parts of these states.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM

644 posts, read 843,013 times
OP - I moved from the North-East. And, I am vegetarian too and I am very similar to you in most aspects and I love Raleigh. I considered SoCal and the Bay area besides Florida and, to be the Triangle offered more than these areas. Feel free to PM me.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:11 AM

579 posts, read 522,753 times
I had seasonal affective disorder and it was much improved by coming here.

As to your interests I think Durham would be an excellent fit.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Raleigh isn't what you would call a tourist destination, but there are certainly hotels in the area you might find work at.
This.

The Triangle is not a tourist destination. It's a great place to live and work and raise a family, but the major tourist destinations in NC are the beach and the mountains. You might want to consider the Wilmington area if you're set on NC or the Charleston SC area.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
They say Texas/Dallas is the place to be for career-minded people these days, great job market, and while it's probably very hot in the summer, you wouldn't need to worry about SAD. Much more of a "big city" feel (for a single person) than the Raleigh area, which is specifically known for being attractive to families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary