Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:27 AM

556 posts, read 948,039 times

Advertisements

You can try the Red Cross. They have a volunteer medical transport program, and might have someone who is willing to sit during your procedure as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,277,375 times
I had a client that had a procedure done about a month after she moved here.

She was told that she had to have someone come up to get her and take her home before they would release her (out patient).

I was happy to pick her up!

Ask someone you know, even if you feel you are asking too much. Most people will be happy to help. I know I hate asking for help but sometimes you have to do it!

Good luck on your procedure!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,438,298 times
It isn't just transportation that is required when patients have a procedure which requires sedation. There needs to be someone who assumes responsibility for making certain the patient gets into their home safely, not just to their door.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 AM

881 posts, read 2,256,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
Some years ago I had the same problem and called the Wake Tech Nursing Program to ask if there was a student that I could hire for this. There was and it worked out great.
This would be my suggestion as well. There are several nursing schools in the area and their students may be interested in helping. Plus they've passed a background check/drug screen.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
I run into this all the time. Not only do you have to have somebody waiting for you they have to give their cell phone number and actually PHYSICALLY be in the waiting room. Once DH decided to walk around in the hospital and when they called his cell and he wasn't in the waiting room they got mad at me and him...like we were breaking the rules. I guess a lot of people try to get around the requirement.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 AM

360 posts, read 994,070 times
There is an organization called A Helping Hand that helps the elderly in this circumstance, but I believe they also serve younger adults in some cases. You might give them a call to see if you qualify or if they can refer you to someone else. A Helping Hand of North Carolina

Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,277,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
It isn't just transportation that is required when patients have a procedure which requires sedation. There needs to be someone who assumes responsibility for making certain the patient gets into their home safely, not just to their door.
Yes. I had to actually SIGN for my client!

Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,823,373 times
Visit a concierge at a local hotel. If they're worth their salt, they'll have a suggestion as to whom to call. Just be sure you get around to "thanking" (tipping) them. Concierges should know how to figure out how to accommodate ALMOST ANYTHING. Just tell them to imagine that you're going to be a guest at the hotel and need this service. Good concierges can be VERY creative.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,458 times
Thank you to everyone who responded. It sure did help to know people on this forum care!

I did break down and ask my neighbor to take me. Interestingly, since I am still a working senior most of the services were kind, but could not help. This may be a perfect small business venture for someone. It is difficult to ask for this kind of help as it requires more than transportation and takes a better part of a morning.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM

621 posts, read 983,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivell2 View Post
I did break down and ask my neighbor to take me.
Glad you found assistance and kudos to your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary