Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:45 PM

40 posts, read 50,709 times

Advertisements

Yea. I think I'm canceling that altogether. That was first thing I discovered. Your take on Brightleaf square? I may get the Saturday night room around there. My time in the area got shorter. During the day Friday and Saturday looking at apartments and now would like to stay 1 night in Durham and 1 in Raleigh. Raleigh on Friday would most likely be the Marriott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 12:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
My take (one of many) on brightleaf:

It's a cool area of Durham. One of my favorite of all time places is right accross the street. It's called the Federal. It's a divey looking place, with servers who are covered in tattoos and piercings, but they are all friendly, they have a great deck, decent beer list, and the food is both understated, and delicious. Simple things like burgers, or braised pork nachos, or maybe stout braised beef ribs, or etc.... I've never had a bad meal there.

From Brightleaf, you are half a mile up to the main part of Downtown Durham, less than a mile to American Tobacco Complex and less than a mile to ninth street.

A little further and you can get to Geer Street and those mentioned places.

Short version: Brightleaf area is WAY better than being stuck at a mall that looks like any other mall in any other city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by federal's specials last night
Specials

Duck Pâté
House-pickled Watermelon Rind & Pickles, Mustard,
Red Chow-Chow, Pickled Onions, Capers, Crostini $12

Apple Salad
Granny Smith Apples, Roasted Tomatoes, Barrel-Aged Feta,
Toasted Almonds, Mixed Greens, Blackberry Vinaigrette $9

Fried Green Tomato Salad
Banana Peppers, Sundrop Tomatoes, Avocado & Goat Cheese Mousse,
Pine Nuts, Tiny Farms Arugula, Watermelon-Pimenton Vinaigrette $10

Italian Sausage Sub
Kalamata Olive & Banana Pepper Tapenade, Sauerkraut,
Swiss Cheese, Sundried Tomato Mustard on a Baguette
Served with Fries or Salad $9

Wagyu Roast Beef
Pickled Red Onions, House Pickles,
Horseradish Cream, Gruyere, Arugula on Ciabatta
Served with Fries or Salad $11

Bone-in Pork Chop
Local Corn, Bell Peppers, Oyster Mushrooms,
Roasted Tomatoes, Almonds, Grits, Sherry Garlic Sauce $15

Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
MyGhost has some great suggestions, and the Federal's food is awesome. I have never had great service there, but also never had bad service.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:55 PM

Great. You made up my mind. Now to find hotel close to there.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Thanks to all here we will have 2 great nights in the area. Staying at Marriott hotels. DT Durham Friday and DT Raleigh Saturday. Since most of our looking around will be closer in Raleigh we decided to stay here Saturday night. We have some time Sunday morning but not much. Will be getting to hotel late so like what was mentioned here, that parade and fest should not be a problem.

Just one thing. I feel fine about walking from Marriott in Durham to Brightleaf Square and back. Google has it at 12 minute walk. Not bad. My wife may not be fine. Has a thing about walking at night especially in a city we never been to. I'm sure it's fine but would like some input.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:04 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Walking at night will be fine. Either walk down foster to Main, and then up main to Brightleaf, which will take you past restaurants and bars and lots of people walking around, or walk around the Carolina theater on Morgan St to Main and up to Brightleaf, which is a wide well lit sidewalk along a major street. The most direct route is up chapel hill st...nothing wrong with going that way, but you'll be walking along the backside loading docks for the Marriot and it will likely be dark and no one around till you get close to five points (only 100 yards away).

Old 08-14-2014, 01:19 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe442 View Post
We have some time Sunday morning but not much.

Lots of great brunches in DT Raleigh On Sunday. Most places have them, so just pick one.

As for the Durham at night, I don't know the exact streets, but you won't have any problem walking on Main Street, or anywhere were there are lots of people. It's a great town by foot. (or you could just take a cab, if really late or worried...)

Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Quote:
Just one thing. I feel fine about walking from Marriott in Durham to Brightleaf Square and back. Google has it at 12 minute walk. Not bad. My wife may not be fine. Has a thing about walking at night especially in a city we never been to. I'm sure it's fine but would like some input.
Won't be an issue at all on a Saturday night - there will be lots of people out and about. The most direct route will take you out the side entrance of the Marriott onto Chapel Hill St. From there, you'll go right on Chapel Hill to the Five Points area of downtown. There are several eateries right there (Pizzeria Toro, The Cupcake Bar, Toast, Mateo, etc.), and can you bear right onto Main St. for the walk towards Brightleaf.

Lots of other places on Main St. right near the Marriott, as other posters have mentioned - Dame's, Revolution, Bar Lusconi, etc. Enjoy!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Anyone been to The Big Easy in Raleigh? They have live music. How is the food. I lived in New Orleans in the late 80s so this would be a treat.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:40 AM

369 posts, read 460,324 times
Quote:
Anyone been to The Big Easy in Raleigh? They have live music. How is the food. I lived in New Orleans in the late 80s so this would be a treat.
I've heard Batistellas in City Market has better food if you are in the mood for that type of cuisine.

My favorite new restaurants downtown are Bida Manda and Garland. Of course you can never go wrong with any of Ashley Christensen's restaurants either (Poole's, Chuck's, Joule, Beasley's Chicken & Honey).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary