Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 AM

84 posts, read 131,919 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advice or point me to the documentation expected upon a new car purchase - one that the dealer has to give the buyer in accordance with the various laws .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 09:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
A copy of everything you signed plus your temporary registration.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Temporary registration = temporary tag plate? Or is there a paper document to accompany it as well?

And, is a Bill of Sale to be had from the dealer as well? Is it the same as an Invoice?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh Saab View Post
Temporary registration = temporary tag plate? Or is there a paper document to accompany it as well?

And, is a Bill of Sale to be had from the dealer as well? Is it the same as an Invoice?
The plate on your car plus the paper that goes with it.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The plate on your car plus the paper that goes with it.
Hmmm. If you have a signed invoice, I think you're good. I'd have to dig out the paperwork from my last transaction to be sure.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh Saab View Post
Can anyone advice or point me to the documentation expected upon a new car purchase
Based on your other thread, I assume you worked out the issues with the dealer and got the car you wanted?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,027 times
I bought my car from a dealer in SC and drove it home to NC so some of the paperwork for buying in NC might be a little different.
I scanned EVERYTHING, so here is a very complete list of all transaction papers used:

SELLER/DEALER/MANUFACTURER FORMS:
INVOICE of purchase from seller
Receipt for deposit
Vehicle Buyers Order/Worksheet
WE OWE you form (items pending delivery (IE: floor mats)
Dealer Options/Accessories to be added work list
Quality Checklist (very detailed itemization of post-shipment inspections)
Initial privacy notice (re info seller collects from buyer)
Window Sticker (removed and kept)

SOUTH CAROLINA FORMS (selling state)
Affidavit & Notification of Sale of Motor Vehicle
Damage Disclosure Statement
Affidavit for Intent to License Motor Vehicles (purchased in SC for sale outside SC)
30-Day Temporary Plate Registration (for use until my NC plates came in)

NORTH CAROLINA FORMS (destination/purchaser state):
Title Application
Odometer Disclosure Statement

(PM me if you'd like me to send you a copy of any, if you want to see what it looks like).

Old 08-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

SELLER/DEALER/MANUFACTURER FORMS:
INVOICE of purchase from seller
Receipt for deposit
Vehicle Buyers Order/Worksheet
WE OWE you form (items pending delivery (IE: floor mats)
Dealer Options/Accessories to be added work list
Quality Checklist (very detailed itemization of post-shipment inspections)
Initial privacy notice (re info seller collects from buyer)
Window Sticker (removed and kept)

SOUTH CAROLINA FORMS (selling state)
Affidavit & Notification of Sale of Motor Vehicle
Damage Disclosure Statement
Affidavit for Intent to License Motor Vehicles (purchased in SC for sale outside SC)
30-Day Temporary Plate Registration (for use until my NC plates came in)

NORTH CAROLINA FORMS (destination/purchaser state):
Title Application
Odometer Disclosure Statement

(PM me if you'd like me to send you a copy of any, if you want to see what it looks like).
What I don't have out of the list is:
INVOICE of purchase from seller (believe this is the same as BILL of SALE, right?)
Quality Checklist (?!)
Affidavit & Notification of Sale of Motor Vehicle (I am assuming this is not applicable to North Carolina. Or maybe, it is only applicable, when one buys out of state. Is that correct?)

Old 08-17-2014, 01:06 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,027 times
The Invoice is the actual legal document that sets the price, accessories, etc, that you sign.
Mine was on a form specific to the manufacture, not a standardized state form. It had their and my names/addresses, the cars VIN etc and all the financial stuff.
Looking at all the forms, I never got anything with the words "Bill of Sale" on it, so I'm pretty sure that the Invoice meets that need.

The Affidavit was a state form for SC where the seller, (the dealer), affirmed that the car was sold in SC, and provided the buyer's (out of state) address. Using this form gave me 120 days to ship it and register it in some other state, and avoid paying SC property tax.

The Quality checklist is a manufacturer's specific form, used because my car was shipped from overseas to a processing center here in the states where they removed the shipping protection, added fluids, etc. It's specific to the manufacturer, and you won't need it unless you're getting a car, new from overseas.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Quality Checklists must be true of most Japanese/Korean cars.
Eg.: Toyota is assembled in Canada, if not mistaken and then shipped to the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary