Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:09 PM

17 posts, read 20,152 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have insight to share about securing professional medical employment in the Raleigh-Durham area. I am currently a three year resident transplanted to Durham, NC from the midwest.
I am retired, but my daughter who is a Doctor of Pharmacy and trying to join me in Durham is having a terrible time acquiring employment at a hospital or pharmacy chain in the Raleigh-Durham area. She has 10 years experience inclusive of a 825 bed hospital with cardiovascular, oncology, pediatric and all general medical and surgical care and specialized intensive care units in burn, coronary, surgical, and neonatal services. She has five years experience at a 125 bed children's hospital and 10 years retail experience part-time with Walgreens and Sam's Club. She has never been made any mistakes, and has only called in sick one day in 10 years.
In all the application situations, she is selected by human resources as a viable candidate, but after a phone interview and notification of further candidates to be interviewed and statements of questioning about being currently employed but seeking employment; she doesn't receive an offer to interview in person. By the way, who quites a job with no job to go to? Of course, no reason is given for the rejection.
We would like to know if this difficulty is normal for medical professionals in the area. Is there reluctance to hire anyone not a graduate of the respective area universitys. And, if possible; can anyone step forward and speak on the subject of racism at the most highly acclaimed university setting, without naming the place. I have heard that there is racism present there. Has anyone heard that or know that to be true. I am asking because if either of these scenarios is present, she will need to change her plans and avoid frustration in trying to achieve something that can't possibly come to fruition. I am seeking ANY clarifying insight. I'm just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
I'd guess they're just offering the job to someone who already lives here. All things being equal if they have a highly qualified local candidate (of which there are many) and a highly qualified out of state candidate they're probably going to offer to the local candidate first.

UNC School of Pharmacy is top notch. It's the top school in the country in the US News rankings. I have never heard of racism at UNC School of Pharmacy. I know a couple of folks who have gone through the program.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 PM

794 posts, read 1,326,282 times
I recently heard from a friend who is a pharmacist and teaches at a Pharmacy school in another state that there is an overwhelming number of new PharmD graduates. It has caused difficult job prospects in her state so maybe the same is happening here in NC?

Old 12-09-2017, 02:53 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Maybe she is expecting a pay range that is commensurate with her extensive experience? Or potential employers think she expects that? Maybe she doesn't do phone interviews well (very common problem)? Maybe potential employers wonder why she hasn't gotten to a management level after working in the profession for 25 years (based on what you wrote)? Has she offered to fly in for face to face interviews on her own time, or is she waiting for a potential employers to pop for the cost?

Based on the numbers you provided, I'd estimate she's roughly 50+ years old. I'd be wondering about age discrimination before racial discrimination. And how would they know her color from just a phone interview?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 AM

259 posts, read 243,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And how would they know her color from just a phone interview?
The applicants name or accent could 'imply' a certain race. I agree with you that age discrimination might be more likely than racial discrimination.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:14 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
The applicants name or accent could 'imply' a certain race. I agree with you that age discrimination might be more likely than racial discrimination.
Good point. to me. . .

Old 12-09-2017, 10:46 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,824 times
Might be a long commute but I know many people that commute even further.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/484216600

Located in Durham:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/485878400

Good luck!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:49 AM

174 posts, read 194,738 times
The Triangle has a LOT of surplus talent right now, and it is likely to get worse as more people move here. I would not be in the least surprised if there might not be a lot of recent pharma PhDs regionally as well.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
I'm not aiming to be insensitive, but does she have excellent communication skills? I worked with a woman originally from India who was told that she was passed over for a position based on her telephone voice because it would require she lead conference calls. She was fine in person but I admit that it was more difficult to follow her over the phone. Partly because she would get nervous that the person on the other end couldn't understand her, and she would talk faster, making the problem worse.

Since I don't really know the situation, I'm just mentioning a scenario that my work friend had experienced (not in NC). I agree with the previous poster that said local talent will probably win out as well, considering that travel arrangements aren't necessary either.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:30 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Based on the numbers you provided, I'd estimate she's roughly 50+ years old. I'd be wondering about age discrimination before racial discrimination. And how would they know her color from just a phone interview?
I am "roughly 50+ years old" and I just finished an associates degree in a very promising field. I was the old lady in our program. Prior to that, I earned four other degrees in a completely unrelated area and worked in education and administration. It was time for a career change, hence the return to school.

Upon completion of my recent associate's degree, I applied for every job under the sun, as did all of my classmates. In most cases, we were applying for the same jobs. All of the other graduates had multiple interviews and job offers, while I was not granted a single interview. After months of this, I started applying for anything and everything: retail, food service, you name it. Not a peep from anyone. I have several friends my age who are trying to enter the workforce and have had the same experience. I've heard speculation about folks like us being considered overqualified or perhaps there is a suspicion that we would expect to be paid more. Guess what? I read the job description. I WANT to work here. I know what the job pays. If I thought it didn't pay enough, I wouldn't have applied. This isn't a job that I view as a stepping stone to something else.

I am sick and tired of hearing employers say that they can't find people who are willing to work. There are plenty of middle-aged folks out there who can't find work. Ageism is alive and well. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, including companies who say, "Of course we consider older applicants. To do otherwise is discriminatory and illegal." A pile of BS.

Last edited by Eeyore1; 12-09-2017 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary