Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
True - but covenant compliance is not really the main issue here. Property boundaries, encroachment, etc. are. I don't see the HOA playing any meaningful role in resolving those matters.

Funny thing is, their meaningful roll as I see it would be to NOT forget, to NOT act like it's okay, to NOT agree by their absence that this is okay. This encroaching neighbor does not need anything to lean on whether perceived or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 02:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Actually, as far as the HOA's territory, it is laid out in covenants and bylaws. They can do all kinds of things. There are many hoa's that do more than administer common areas. And many that, even with single family homes, have something in bylaws about backyards, can say just how something should look or be built in a backyard, require neighbor's approval for something in a back yard so that some residents can have a small shed...or large two story shed, or pool or dog run and nearby residents cannot. So, for once, they can get in on it in a constructive way. And I added that only because last time they "forgot". So, this time, it could be GTK.
I agree with all of this. I don't agree that the HOA is going to solve a boundary dispute. You can fuss about the driveway and required HOA approval all you want, it still won't settle the issue of missing survey stakes and the dispute over property boundaries. The OP might as well get to the heart of the matter and solve it all rather than dealing with the covenant issues.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,132 times
Thank you everyone. Every little bit of information helps. I know our HOA Covenants include collection of legal costs associated with homeowners not in compliance. And, HOA rep. confirmed the driveway extension was put down without HOA Approval. I would assume the HOA has authority to help both with encroachment of the driveway, water meter and refusal to honor IPs.
Is it better for us to hire our own attorney instead of depending solely on HOA? Would it be someone who deals only with Real Estate issues? Sorry, have never been in this situation before and would not will it on someone either.
Also, should we get a survey done and then find an attorney if the neighbor and HOA still do nothing? We feel this is a strong legal case since utilities are also involved. If we hire an attorney after survey, would that require a re-survey by the attorney's surveyor?
Trying to avoid double costs. Hoping if it goes to litigation, there may be a clause to recoup legal and survey expenses from neighbor. But we have to do what is necessary at this point.

Thank you for the Title Insurance tip...will also follow that angle.

Have received a lot of help from town and Wake County offices. We are trying to dig through our purchase/refinancing records since 1997, found PLAT and contacted the initial surveyor for the builder. They were very helpful, but deal only with corporate accounts. Would anyone know if a survey is required as part of refinancing? Can't remember if we had one done. We do have a plot plan signed off when we got Town permits for an addition in 2012. But, I assume only a current survey can legally prove if the EIP has been moved?
Heard that there are different kinds of surveys. Need something that actually measures distances and we plan to submit a record at WC Register of Deeds. Anyone know more about surveys and average costs for just shy of 1/4 acre lot?
Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceIsHappiness View Post
I know our HOA Covenants include collection of legal costs associated with homeowners not in compliance.
That's legal costs the HOA incurs - not costs you incur.

Quote:
Is it better for us to hire our own attorney instead of depending solely on HOA? Would it be someone who deals only with Real Estate issues?
Yes, and yes.

Quote:
Also, should we get a survey done and then find an attorney if the neighbor and HOA still do nothing?
I think I would talk to an attorney before doing anything.

Quote:
Thank you for the Title Insurance tip...will also follow that angle.
This may be a good starting point - worth a quick call to see what assistance they can offer.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 PM

66 posts, read 82,583 times
As part of refinancing some of the appraisers take pictures. They might show the sticks old location and might help. I won't rely on HOA as they may not be that savvy. Some refi companies used to mandate a survey, checking with refi attorney might help. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary