Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 AM

269 posts, read 322,650 times

Advertisements

Peppers - Buried in them. Plants still look healthy and are loaded with more.
Tomatoes - Cherries produced enough for us. Slicers took a long time to start ripening, but averaging 1/day for the last several weeks.
Cucumbers - Fail. Plants look great and then die overnight. Think I have a whitefly issue.
Eggplant - Just one plant that yielded 3 eggplants.
Basil - Was doing well, but suddenly picked clean to the stem by something.
Zuchinni - Harvested 2-3 early in the season, then suffered same fate as cucumbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,882,038 times
My figs are the biggest they've ever been. Some burst before I could pick them. I guess it's all the rain we've been having.

I planted a new variety of tomato - yellow pear cherry tomato. They've done very well. Great flavor, easy to grow, still producing.

Mint - they love rain so have grown like crazy.

Lemon balm, blah this year.

Yellow squash - spider mites took over. Nothing I did (organically) worked, so I gave up.

Cucumbers - vine rot

Old 09-15-2014, 12:27 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,316,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Mine was a bust but my healthy garlic crop made up for it.

Tomatoes - between the bugs, the squirrels and the mystery disease that killed most of them off - nope, but there are some nice ones on there now. Oh yeah and the aphids
green beans - good until the mystery disease got them
cucumbers - I didn't plant them, so that they were a bust is ok because I guess they grew from last year's rotting one. Mystery disease.
basil - great until this week, strangely dying
green peppers - got one that my dog beat me to, mystery disease
garlic - COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY AWESOME. Growing a lot more next year.

Last year's garden was much better. I have to figure out what happened here.

Question for all of you - these are raised beds - given that something odd spread to all of it and killed it off, do I want to dump the soil in those beds and start all over with new soil next year?
Hi NM, in NC many of the subdivisions and houses (mine included) were built on former tobacco fields. There's a virus, Tobacco mosaic virus, that can also affect tomatoes. I don't know for sure but I do believe that TMV can remain viable in the soil for many years and it kills the tomatoes rather suddenly and mysteriously. Maybe you can eliminate it with bromine gas, but you may need a license to use that and you need to put down plastic over the ground (again not sure on the license).

If I were you, I would just replace the soil. No sense in going through all the work of raising the garden without changing the soil. I do think it's odd that it killed all of it.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:49 AM

211 posts, read 302,365 times
All numbers estimated:

Tomatoes: 400
Big Bertha Bell Peppers: 12
Cayenne Peppers: 50
Giant Eggplant: 4
Cabbage: 1
Okra: 20
Jalapeños: 35
Cucumber: 4
Bitter Gourd: 1
Beans: 2
Basil
Mint
Radish: 1 :-p
Beets: 4
Cilantro
Spring Onions
Curry Leaves

Would've had more Okra, but plants were attacked by ants Cabbage plants butchered by moths. Radish were coming out well, but I killed them with an ill-fated transplant. Beets were not a serious planting - almost an after-thought. Cayenne Peppers are hot & flavorful. But jalapeños are criminally hot. Not able to use more than half a jalapeño in a meal for 4! Cilantro bolted too early, but lots of garden-fresh coriander seeds in return

Lessons learned: Plant fewer tomatoes and trim starting early for size. More Okras. And I unquestionably inherited mom's green thumb

Old 09-15-2014, 02:08 PM

84 posts, read 160,374 times
I've just about cleared out the summer garden. I've left the parsley since the black swallowtail caterpillars are feasting on it, the cherry tomatoes, peppers, and chives are still going.

Cherry tomatoes - two plants produced tons, constant cherry tomato salads, still producing a bit
Larger tomatoes - never grew bigger than golf balls, many split, I think water was too irregular
Red onions - 1st time growing, long day variety, did well but bulbs were somewhat small (plant earlier), probably 75% success rate
White onions - also long day variety, did great, 90% success rate, seem to be storing well
Basil - planted cheapo plant from Teeter, plant went nuts, way more basil than we could use, chopped down after it wouldn't stop bolting last week
Cilantro - Fail. Too hot I think.
Parsley - Success! Still going strong, but letting the caterpillars have it now to support butterfly population
Peppers (jalapeno, green, anaheim, poblano) - All did well except the green. Still growing!
Oregano, Mint - Grew well but I didn't harvest enough and plants got leggy
Cucumbers - Epic failure. Grew to be 18+ inches with a horrible bitter flavor. Not sure what happened.

I plan on hopefully planting broccoli, kale, and other greens soon! Anyone else planning to plant a winter garden?

Old 09-15-2014, 02:41 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,620,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Hi NM, in NC many of the subdivisions and houses (mine included) were built on former tobacco fields. There's a virus, Tobacco mosaic virus, that can also affect tomatoes. I don't know for sure but I do believe that TMV can remain viable in the soil for many years and it kills the tomatoes rather suddenly and mysteriously. Maybe you can eliminate it with bromine gas, but you may need a license to use that and you need to put down plastic over the ground (again not sure on the license).

If I were you, I would just replace the soil. No sense in going through all the work of raising the garden without changing the soil. I do think it's odd that it killed all of it.
Very interesting, thanks! I think I also had things clumped too close together and near my deck, so created a weird microclimate. But that doesn't really explain the beans and peppers, which were in the next bed over. I didn't have this problem last year at all.

I think I'll dump the soil at the bottom of the hill and start over clean for sure.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:52 PM

644 posts, read 844,050 times
Question from someone that doesn't garden at all - I have a bed of soil that the previous owner left behind. I have tried to grow jalapenos and I haven't had much luck. The bed, however, is infested by Mint. I try to took them out from the root but not much luck, they are always coming back. Does it make sense for me to replace the soil? If yes, do you just dump out the soil with the lawn waste?

Thank you!

Also, any suggestions for what is a good time for aeration/seeding? I had intended to aerate and seed it by early next week (hoping to spray out the weed growth Wednesday and mow the lawn prior to aeration). And, then fertilizers in two weeks after aeration/seeding.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:57 PM

135 posts, read 269,889 times
Cherry tomatoes in pots did well, a variety of other tomatoes in a raised bed not so much. I have some sort of wilt getting to them.

Peppers are just now recovering from a massive slug invasion. My fault, I know there's a million out there and I never treated anything. I like to go out and hand pick them at night but never did it this year. They definitely liked the sweet peppers more than the hot peppers, but did a lot of damage to them all. I just started to be able to pick jalapeños this week, got 5 from 4 plants.

Cucumbers did great but are now wilting away. I grew them on a slanted lattice this year, so they stayed out of the dirt and were easy to spot, it was great!

Basil was eaten off and on by Japanese beetles but there was enough for us all. Last year's oregano overwintered and did very well.

I figure every year I learn something, the slugs aren't going to have a chance next year!!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,882,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Question from someone that doesn't garden at all - I have a bed of soil that the previous owner left behind. I have tried to grow jalapenos and I haven't had much luck. The bed, however, is infested by Mint. I try to took them out from the root but not much luck, they are always coming back. Does it make sense for me to replace the soil? If yes, do you just dump out the soil with the lawn waste?

Thank you!

Also, any suggestions for what is a good time for aeration/seeding? I had intended to aerate and seed it by early next week (hoping to spray out the weed growth Wednesday and mow the lawn prior to aeration). And, then fertilizers in two weeks after aeration/seeding.
hi! I am answering only because no expert has yet. I am not your go to for this but will throw my 2 cents worth in. this year I decided to grow my mint in the same box as some of my tomato plants. All did well. I would not be concerned about the mint being there. Now an expert might tell you its not good for other plants - let's see if anyone chimes in.

As for your soil, I wouldn't toss it. I would dig it over and amend it. Check this out for reference Amending Your Garden Soil to Make It Better You could buy a test kit or have it tested by the NC Ag extension folks NCDA&CS - Agronomic Services Division Soil Testing Home Page

It could be that the soil has been overplanted and lost its nutrients. Either of the above should be a good start. Also, does it get enough and water...you want to be sure it's in the right location for this before you work on it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: