Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM

77 posts, read 99,093 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My family and I are looking at moving to Cary by next summer. We have 2 daughters who will then be starting their freshman year in high school and our grand daughter lives with us as well. But, just curious what do you all make of Green Hope high? And Briar Cliff Elem? Any other suggestions? All will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
A small tip to help you localize: It's Cary.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
A small tip to help you localize: It's Cary.

Sorry for the mispelling.. I'm so used to CAREY...I know how it's spelled, just bad habit..I edited it.
Thank you

Old 09-15-2014, 02:31 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Green Hope is very highly rated. Briarcliff doesn't have the same shiny, all-star reputation and has slightly lower test scores than some of the other elementary schools, but everyone I've ever talked who actually has kids there loves it and says it's has a great small, neighborhood school feel.
Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:23 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
I can't think of a neighborhood you could live in and get Briarcliff Elementary and GHHS.

If your daughter is as far behind as you say, she will get eaten alive at GHHS. But that may be true of any local public high school.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant73 View Post
Hello all. My family and I are looking at moving to Cary by next summer. We have 2 daughters who will then be starting their freshman year in high school and our grand daughter lives with us as well. But, just curious what do you all make of Green Hope high? And Briar Cliff Elem? Any other suggestions? All will be appreciated. Thank you.
Schools in Cary are all part of Wake County Publoc Scools....their Web site has tons on info and there are oodles of threads here about them.

What exactly are you looking for....most schools in the area are above average to excellent...some high schoolschool are a bit more competitive then others.....but they are all solid.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:53 PM

I just want a public school where my kids are treated with respect and given a chance. Where I live, the school just doesn't seem to want to spend any extra time helping their students. If they fall a little behind or struggle in one area, they automatically push them back into a "special ed" situation and keep them there till they move on to a different school. They don't encourage them at all.

My daughter has been stuck in nothing but reading and math classes since 6th grade because she fell behind a bit. She got real sick and was out of nearly 2 weeks. She got overwhelmed and lazy. Her grades slipped and they said, she wasn't keeping up and that maybe it was to much for her, so they talked us into allowing her into a "slower" program to help her get caught up with the promise that this would get her back on track and that she would be back to normal at the end of the year.

Three years later, still stuck in math and reading. Other kids in her 8th grade are also taking science, history and have electives. I asked the principle to allow her to take these other classes thinking it would encourage her, it would give her a change and also boost her confidence with being with the kids in "normal" classes. The principle told my daughter that she doesn't want to take those classes, it will just give her more work, more homework, and he said, "I don't think you can handle it and you will fail". That's encouragement and support if I ever saw it. They already made their minds up that she can't do anything but stay in their "program" till she leaves next year. They set her up to fail as far as I'm concerned.

So, what I'm looking for is a school that will help her instead of dismiss her and tell her she will fail. I know my daugher better than anyone and I know with the right amount of support and if she has people behind her giving her words of encouragement, she starts to believe in herself, her self-confidence rises and she's happier. She does not get that at her school no matter how much I plead with them to do that. It's so beyond frustrating. A lot of parents here are "up in arms" with this school system for lots of reasons. From the lazy, cheap menu's to the grading system that they're getting ready to put in place which is a 1-3 number system. ( 1 above average 2 average 3 below). So kids who get all A's and have a 4.0 (like my other daughter) will be considered the same as the kids getting low B's. So what college is going to really see that as impressive? I just want them to have better.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Sorry to hear that, maybe just a change in school environment will be helpful to her just to get out of the rut she's been tracked onto.
But I will agree that Green Hope is a fairly academically competitive school and very into their test scores, so I'd just be aware of that. Does she have any kind of IEP or anything?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Sorry to hear that, maybe just a change in school environment will be helpful to her just to get out of the rut she's been tracked onto.
But I will agree that Green Hope is a fairly academically competitive school and very into their test scores, so I'd just be aware of that. Does she have any kind of IEP or anything?

I know she did a few years ago.. I believe she "graduated" out of it. She tested low in math and reading in elementary school. We moved up to Alaska from Phx, AZ. In Phx she was right on track with their expectations, when we got here they tested her to see where she was at and they "labeled" her quickly as a "problem" child. They had her in the same class as her autistic cousin. Not taking away from my nephew but she did not belong in that class. She could read, she could do math, she honestly wasn't being challenged enough. She's very smart. What kills me, is her younger sister (in 8th grade as well, 11 months apart and had to start school the same year), has all A's, but the older one w/ "the problems" will actually help the younger one out with her homework because it's the only access to science and history that she gets and she seems to enjoy those. It's really sad.

Another example is, the one w/ the "problem" is so discouraged by her classes etc that she really doesn't care anymore, so she doesn't do her work and when she does she never studies. And yet when she does turn in her work, it's all A's. No studying, no homework. She aces her tests and when her teacher makes her do her work in study hall, etc. It's all A's. It makes me wonder what she would be capable of if she really cared about school and was motivated and studied. Skies the limit. But, her principle and teachers push her down and so she's not motivated, she's frustrated and she hates her classes and it shows in her effort.

I don't know what to do. We're not moving because of that, but I'm just hoping she can get into a school where she can have a clean slate with positive reinforcement and see how well she does with that type of environment.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,504 times
I'm confused. Your daughter has never taken Social Studies or Science? I'm not sure how that would be treated in any public high school here. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they test kids to see what classes they get into. They go off of their previous school record. So if she's in remedial math and english there, I'm not sure that she wouldn't be here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary