Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,576 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Thinking about relocating from wake county to a section of wake forest under Granville county schools. The name of the sub division is Chesleigh. Has anyone had negative experiences in Granville county schools? Any comments on the schools will be helpful elementary, middle and high school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:24 PM

13,380 posts, read 27,142,242 times
My knowledge of Granville schools is limited to the ratings on Greatschools.org. As I recall, the elementary and middle schools closest to Chesleigh were rated 5 out of 10, which is "average". They were about 7 miles away in Creedmoor, so your kids would have longish bus rides.

In the other thread you started, someone spoke as if it was normal for the South Granville High School to have a dozen modular classrooms outside the building. I would find that quite unacceptable to have permanant modulars.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-23-2014 at 11:49 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 05:01 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,343,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
My knowledge of Granville schools is limited to the ratings on Greatschools.org. As I recall, the elementary and middle schools closest to Chesleigh were rated 5 out of 10, which is "average". They were about 7 miles away in Creedmoor, so your kids would have longish bus rides.

In the other thread you started, someone spoke as if it was normal for the South Granville High School to have a dozen modular classrooms outside the building. I would find that quite unacceptable to have permanant modulars.
You'd hate Wake County, then. Most of the schools have permanent modular classrooms.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 8,576 times
T hanks for the comments. I am feeling so
torn since the house and price is great for our family of 6.My kids currently attend Heritage elementary and middle school and they are great schools. I would hate to remove them from a great school to attend a not so good school zone.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:43 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,724,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleitasclan View Post
T hanks for the comments. I am feeling so
torn since the house and price is great for our family of 6.My kids currently attend Heritage elementary and middle school and they are great schools. I would hate to remove them from a great school to attend a not so good school zone.
The schools are not going to be as good as Heritage or even most of Wake County...they aren't bad per se....but they will be more limited.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:

What is wrong with the modulars? MANY schools have them so if you are are going to look down your nise at them..give up on most of the area. ....they are often nicer than inside classrooms (especially in older buildings) - teachers like them because they are quieter and I've not heard of a student that had a problem with them. It seems odd that anyone would think this is a negative.

Heck - we've had entire schools made up of them for a couple of years use...until permanent buildings could be finished.....and guess what? Not a single problem with the education of those students. Heck in 3rd grade my daughter had a pull out AG enrichment class (not sure if they do that anymore) that was in a modular.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:29 PM

13,380 posts, read 27,142,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What is wrong with the modulars? MANY schools have them so if you are are going to look down your nise at them..give up on most of the area. ....they are often nicer than inside classrooms (especially in older buildings) - teachers like them because they are quieter and I've not heard of a student that had a problem with them. It seems odd that anyone would think this is a negative.
FYI, I have no plans to move to the Triangle. I was just attempting to give the OP a perspective. Having modulars implies that the population has grown too fast for the county to keep up with paying for sufficient schools.

I am glad that you know that kids can get a good education in modulars.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,885,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You'd hate Wake County, then. Most of the schools have permanent modular classrooms.
I was thinking similar - if we didn't like modular classrooms, our kids would have to go to schools further away.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
FYI, I have no plans to move to the Triangle. I was just attempting to give the OP a perspective. Having modulars implies that the population has grown too fast for the county to keep up with paying for sufficient schools.

I am glad that you know that kids can get a good education in modulars.
You have no idea then....wow.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 PM

22,714 posts, read 36,914,828 times
We used to live on Long Island, that bastion of fine education, and some schools up there have modulars too.

All my kids have had classes in trailers - a modular is actually a large self contained unit. Teachers usually like it because they control the temperature and there's less distraction from goings-on inside the building. Also less spur of the moment visits from admin

I can't figure out what goes in a regular classroom inside the building that can't be accomplished inside a trailer or modular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary