Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 02:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydmc View Post
I think you might be misunderstanding. It's not of fear of dieing, it's a matter of simply dealing with something I'm not used to. So, that's what I'm trying to determine. Do I want to deal with this. It's like someone from the south dealing with Harsh cold snowy winters.

I've head so many people from the south say they would never move up north because of the cold. Well, to me it's really not a big deal, but to others who haven't dealt with harsh winters, it can be a huge deal! And honestly, I don't blame them, because, dealing with harsh winters every year can take its toll!

But speaking of bugs and critters, I heard you folks in Colorado don't have to deal with this topic that often. At least they say they don't in Denver.
I lived in Manhattan 10 years.

No snakes but you might see rats in the subway and mice in the basement laundry rooms.

Subway Rats Are Actually The Ultimate New Yorkers, So Stop Hating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM

16 posts, read 23,429 times
I just wanted to say thanks for the posters who have a little compassion and for the words of encouragement. I'm starting to see that's it's really not a big deal, so I'll more than likely move forward.

It seems like a few people here are seriously lacking compassion on my feelings about this, but that's cool. And to the person who said I should be embarrassed and where did I get this idea from about the south. Well, maybe you didn't know there is an entire section in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary area dedicated to "creepy crawlers and scary slithers". So that's where I got the idea from!

Lastly, I have to say to this same person, that even though I don't like dealing with creepy crawlers, my wife and I, deal with things on a daily basis that most people couldn't "fathom" dealing with. I'd even go as far to say that most folks would rather die then deal with or make the decisions we have made and still continue to make in life. So please be careful who you criticize or make fun of. They might just be much stronger than YOU! smiles......

Old 09-21-2014, 03:59 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Well, reading this forum you've seen that we do have snakes and have discussed copperheads a lot. I saw one cross a trail near me today. And last week a spider bit me, I think. So when some people tell you there is NO issue - they are incorrect. But really, don't let it stop you from relocating. I don't know Wake Forest well but I feel like your odds of not having snakes in your yard are better if you choose an area that's not in or near woods. Most spiders are harmless - I was trying to hand remove virginia buttonweed and they live under there, it was a matter of time for me. I've only seen one tick this year and it was trying to crawl up my dog's leg. We do have plenty of ticks, don't get me wrong. But I don't think you'll be overrun by any of the creepies. Outdoor activities are really popular here, if that helps!

Old 09-21-2014, 05:05 PM

16 posts, read 23,429 times
Quote:
So when some people tell you there is NO issue - they are incorrect. But really, don't let it stop you from relocating
This was my whole point. I knew it was an issue from what I've read. Now, maybe it's not a huge issue, but it's something to consider, especially for those of us that are not really used to it. However, I still think I'll come down and check out the area. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I can't recall seeing anyone on this thread saying we didn't have them. We just said you had them in Ohio, too. Which you do — copperheads and two kinds of rattlesnakes, a higher rate of Lyme disease (from TICKS) than in NC, as well as black widows and recluses. If you can deal with them there, you can deal with them here.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I can't recall seeing anyone on this thread saying we didn't have them. We just said you had them in Ohio, too. Which you do — copperheads and two kinds of rattlesnakes, a higher rate of Lyme disease (from TICKS) than in NC, as well as black widows and recluses. If you can deal with them there, you can deal with them here.
I am currently up in Wisconsin house hunting for our impending move (boo-hoo!) and this afternoon hubby and I went on a walk on the metro park trails up here in Madison. He looked at me a tad sideways when I chuckled when we saw a garter snake.

About 1.5 miles later, he thought I has lost my mind when I started outright laughing when we saw a larger brown snake.

In that one 3 mile walk...I saw as many snakes as I have in living in Wake Forest (and walking the park trails there) in 12 years!!!! The Wisconsin forum (which is damn dead compared to this one...and not helpful) doesn't have tons of people asking if snakes are an issue....and with my experience you'd think they would!

And the OP wonders why people don't take such fear mongering seriously!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,044 times
Quote:
I think you might be misunderstanding. It's not of fear of dieing, it's a matter of simply dealing with something I'm not used to. So, that's what I'm trying to determine. Do I want to deal with this. It's like someone from the south dealing with Harsh cold snowy winters.

I've head so many people from the south say they would never move up north because of the cold. Well, to me it's really not a big deal, but to others who haven't dealt with harsh winters, it can be a huge deal! And honestly, I don't blame them, because, dealing with harsh winters every year can take its toll!

But speaking of bugs and critters, I heard you folks in Colorado don't have to deal with this topic that often. At least they say they don't in Denver.
No misunderstanding. I was just taking the topic for a spin around the dance floor.
I guess it just amuses me, when I think about how I grew up in the Mississippi backcountry, and we had a substantial number of poisonous snakes, wild boar, and alligators to contend with. Living in NC, the handful of snakes I saw really didn't even get a second thought from me, and, if I had been concerned, I'd have simply caught myself a few King Snakes and let them have a go at it.. no big deal. I've been bitten by poisonous snakes... more times than I care to admit, but I also like to handle them, and sometimes the feeling isn't mutual on their end. If a pit viper (which all poisonous snakes in N. America are, with exception to the Coral Snake) doesn't kill you (which, statistically, it's not likely to), you'll actually build a tolerance to it. I get a little queasy for a brief period of time, then it's back to life as usual.
And Mississippi was nothing when I lived and worked in South Africa for 18 months... those crocodiles made our alligators seem like fluffy house pets in comparison, and the snakes there were something to be truly scared of.
I think the presence of snakes and spiders in NC is a bit exaggerated on your end... chances are, you've lived someplace with just as many.
Regarding Colorado, you're right. I remember the first time eating outdoors at a restaurant called Crystal Park Cantina in Manitou Springs.... there was no citronella... yet, there were no insects. Try that in Mississippi and see how that goes.
I told myself I was never leaving the South after my first duty station in the Army - Ft. Drum, NY. I left there when I got PCS orders for Korea, did my year there, then went to Bragg. Nope.. never leaving the South... but life simply has other intentions for you sometimes, so I've been living in Colorado for going on four years now, and I do so without regrets.
There is no perfect place to live. There'll always be detractors. I just don't think spiders and snakes are as big of one as you make them out to be in North Carolina... I won't lie about the ticks... they're there, but that's why they make bug repellent. If you're not prone to walking through tall grass or going into the woods, they're even less of an issue.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
No misunderstanding. I was just taking the topic for a spin around the dance floor.
I love how you put it! This topic has been the very popular girl at the cotillion lately...it's not no wonder she's tired...but most people quickly learn she's all flash and no substance. Sort of like the woman that can bless your heart but not make biscuits.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 AM

118 posts, read 178,263 times
We relocated here from WNY state which would have a very similar climate/etc to NE Ohio. With that said - yes there are more bugs here. The reason is you don't have god-awful, dreary, depressing winters with days of 10degree weather that kill off the bugs! I think the likelihood of seeing snakes here is probably more. I have seen none since I moved here 8 months ago and I too was only used to seeing the very occasional garter snake. My husband has seen several on the Neuse River Trail. He doesn't interact with them - they don't intereact with him!!!! I live in a new house with new landscaping and mulch - my landscaper guy says they can sometimes slither under pinestraw mulch (which is kind of common here) so I am not going to have any pinestraw at my house! The other thing we do is have a quarterly pest control service - they are very, very thorough and I have yet to see much in the line of bugs around/in the house. Oh and by the way we live right at the Wake Forest border.....

Now...the other thing that struck me about your post was not dealing with things you are not used to.....well not to be obvious but isn't just about everything in a new locale "dealing with things you aren't used to"? It is a lovely area here, for us the weather is wonderful, the trail system is great, the mountains and beach are terrific to visit - but things are different. The grocery stores are different (we come from the land of Wegmans!), the traffic is MUCH different, the housing is different, if you have kids - the school system from what I understand is VERY different. These are all things you will be "dealing with" and I think not worrying about things too much and having a positive attitude will carry you far.....! I guess for us the motivation to move was the overriding desire to not live where there is so much winter - things that are different here - well they just are.....soon it will be the new norm for us. Hope this was helpful!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
After doing tons of research, I finally settled on potentially visiting Wake Forest to see if we like the area. I then started reading about snakes, ticks and spiders in NC.
As others have said, it is just something new you have to deal with. It should not prevent you from moving if you have strong positive motivation.

My least favorite "critter" is the fire ant. They have moved into coastal NC, but not sure about the Triangle. They give nasty bites if you disturb their nest, but you just have to keep eliminating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary