Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,729 times

Advertisements

Driving back home from Lilly's Pizza at 5 points, coming through E Chatham, passing Chatham square, all I could think is, Man they really drop the ball on something that would have been cool. I like Downtown Durham, and Downtown Raleigh, but it would be cool if Downtown Cary wasn't so empty(it's cool to be alone sometimes but every time I walk it it's just me and the misses and no one else).

Instead of putting all those international restaurants in a not so attractive shopping center they could have made a Downtown International District and place all of them there. This would attract more folks to the area, give the restaurants more business, and give Downtown some life. Downtown Apex is small but has a lot of nice spots and doesn't feel as space out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
The ToC has plans for DT Cary. Watch. It'll be totally different in about 5-10 years.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,582 times
Such as? A park, and a theatre showing reruns of $2.99-bin movies? ToC planners are the pits.

/rant

Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Such as? A park, and a theatre showing reruns of $2.99-bin movies? ToC planners are the pits.

/rant
They're planning some walkable housing, shopping, etc down there.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
I did not know that a town could "put" private businesses where the town-folk wanted. It was my impressions that businesses located where they could afford the rent, where there was adequate parking, and where they would get the customers they needed.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I did not know that a town could "put" private businesses where the town-folk wanted. It was my impressions that businesses located where they could afford the rent, where there was adequate parking, and where they would get the customers they needed.
Luv4horses this is true but a town can attract private business to said area, at the end of the day, said private business need the town folks to support it, and when private business is a restaurant, a industry that can be volatile, location can be really, really, really good for business. (example of location changing things, The Charlotte Knights)

Any ways just saying that it would have been a cool thing if the town would have worked with business owners, on creating a international district, or international row Downtown.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 AM

621 posts, read 982,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I did not know that a town could "put" private businesses where the town-folk wanted.
Generally, government policies can direct entrepreneurial activities.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 AM

Cary has grown at a very fast rate. Especially over the last 10-15 years. Now, we hear more and more about the demands for a larger DT area, more shops, more restaurants, greater walkability. This will not spring up overnight. By the time ToC is done, they'll have the most quaint, walkable DT area around. Because that'll attract even more taxpayers.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
The businesses along East Chatham have been there for a LONG time and my understanding is that they are well established and not planning on moving. Chatham Square is a wonderful assortment of international restaurants and stores that is very unique to the triangle. I do wish TOC would do more to highlight it and maybe offer some grant money to help to fix that shopping center up, but in the meantime, most of the businesses there are pretty solid and seem to be doing pretty well without it.
Most of TOC's efforts seem to be on Academy street right now with the Mayton Inn coming this fall (demo started this week) and the new Belle Farm to Table restaurant across from the art center opening next month and a Beer and wine shop opening up around the corner next to the new Cary theater which besides international and indie movies is also a live entertainment venue with things such as comedy, blues, jazz and most recently a revival of the Six String Cafe. Those who see it only as a "2.99 bin movie" theater are pretty shortsighted. The Park with stage as a permanent outdoor venue is being worked on as well and all of the outdoor sculptures and artwork!
Things are coming along nicely in downtown Cary, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Still very excited about the progress being made and trying to patronize as many of the businesses as possible to support the growth.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-27-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Funny, I know it's subjective, but I was just riding my bike through DT Cary this morning and thinking about how cool it was, and how much there is to do. I was actually thinking specifically about posting a photo-post here to counter all the "Cary is full of chains and beige" opinions:

I think the movie theater is cool
The drug store food counter is very small town.
In walking distance you have several decent restaurants:
-Bosphorus is Turkish
-Tapai 101 is Chinese/Taiwanese
-Cuban food
-Jamaican Food
-Fine dining at Maxamillians
-a few "cool places" I haven't tried
-Woodies and The Train Station are bar/pubs

There are old buildings
Art Gallaries
Decent Sculptures
Academy Street is beautiful to walk down
The old courthouse is pretty awesome
Farmers Market on the weekends...

I'm sure I missed a few, but for a small town feel, that is sammiched between two cities with a decent scene and more of destinations, I think this is pretty awesome, and is trending in the right direction.

And while Apex is pretty cool (I like it), I don't agree with OP. I've not noticed any ethnic places there (unless you include American version of Mexican and Italian). I like Apex, but I don't see where it accomplishes what the OP wants for Cary any more than Cary does. (It's hopping with people.... ....until about 830 PM on a nice night.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary