Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,714 times

Advertisements

Hi (didn't know what forum/subforum to put this post)

My husband & I (no children) used to live in NC, at Lake Royale in Bunn from 2005 to 2007. It was a big mistake for us to move to Bunn. It was beautiful to live in Lake Royale, but it was waaay too rural for us. We wanted to be near water again (after living in AZ for 2 yrs), and Lake Royale was the only place we found near a large city that allowed swimming (that we knew of at the time).

There was a southern vibe there; we felt like outsiders. We're liberal minded, not activists though. It was very tough because people didn't want to talk about things that my husband and I have talked about to people all our adult lives. We couldn't be ourselves.

We thought it was like that everywhere in NC, so we left NC for the northeast. We realize now we are wrong about that, there are liberal-minded people in NC, we just picked a place that was ultra conservative, mostly populated by people who like living in a rural area, and cliquey (at least that was our experience, I'm sure it's not the experience of everyone who has lived there).

We're in NE PA & are planning on moving back to NC very, very soon. We would like to get some input as to the areas we are able to afford to move to, if possible.

We can't afford a home in areas like Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or northern Raleigh (my 1st choices). Our budget shows we can afford a home in Garner, Clayton, Wendell--areas southeast of Raleigh. Apex is too expensive.
We'd prefer not to pay HOA/POA fees, unless the community is not super restrictive with rules. I want a cat again (maybe 2!, and maybe a small pooch).

Jobs aren't important, we'll be working from home.

Here are our questions:
1) Are these towns welcoming to new people? Friendly? Do they have a feeling of being either conservative or liberal minded? I think Wendell seems to be the smallest of the 3, and that worries me a bit, only because of my past experiences living in a low population towns (both in NC and where I live now--super conservative and 5 churches in a town of 250 people).

2) What about Knightdale? I vaguely remember it, I only drove by it on my way to work in Raleigh.

3) Do we need to worry about the final construction of 540? I checked, and it looks like it will run between Garner and Clayton, and west of Wendell.

4) Also, I saw Jordan Lake in Apex allows swimming? Does anyone have any experience with this? How about the walking/hiking/biking there? It seems close to where we'll live, and I'd love to go there, IF you all think it's a nice place to hang out.

I can't wait to get back to NC because it was only in NC that I was physically active, and exercised. I miss that so much!

Any input will be so appreciated. We really want to make it work this time, and for good. Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 12:21 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
We'd prefer not to pay HOA/POA fees, unless the community is not super restrictive with rules....Jobs aren't important, we'll be working from home.

Here are our questions:
1) Are these towns welcoming to new people?
I have a limited experience with Garner. If you are living in a non-HOA community, you are working from home, and you do not have kids, you are going to have to make an effort to meet people. I don't think the "welcoming committee" concept is automatic in a non-HOA community.

I'd suggest they best way to meet compatible people is to join a swim club, gym or a running team if you are into sports. Or join a civic organization or church.

At any rate, here are some earlier comments on Garner: Info about Garner and surrounding areas.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Garner is in a great location and cheaper than most of the Triangle, but is also less "sophisticated", as it were, by the standards you're talking about. It would be more like Lake Royale than you would probably like, I suspect.

Consider Pittsboro if you're interested in Jordan Lake. You'd be near Chapel Hill & Durham but not paying the prices of Chapel Hill, and near Jordan Lake.

Wendell is both too "country" and too far from the things you'd probably be interested in. Clayton is getting a lot of transplants, but I think it's mostly suburban growth, similar to Cary, Wake Forest, etc. And I do think the road construction will affect things there.

If you don't have children, look into Durham county, maybe northern Durham? People generally aren't fond of the Durham schools but that is moot for you, and I think the taxes are lower there than Wake or Orange. The older suburbs north of 85 should be less expensive than downtown or SW Durham, but there is so much cool stuff in Durham, especially if you don't need to worry about schools.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:26 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you don't have children, look into Durham county, maybe northern Durham? ..... but there is so much cool stuff in Durham, especially if you don't need to worry about schools.
Good suggestion, especially if the OP is looking for liberal or progressive neighbors.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
You need to check out Knightdale. We have some nice subdivisions and as you'll work from home, no worries about commuting. We are close enough to downtown Raleigh 15 minutes on weekends. Where you'll find theater, Arts, comedy club, and all kinds of events. Knightdale has decent shopping - Target, Dicks Sporting Goods, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Kirkland, Home Depot, Kohls, etc.. As well as medical clinics, vets, and small businesses. We also have a new park linked to the Raleigh greenway system, have the Neuse River here for canoeing, and have an amphitheater that's almost built.
Also, Triangle Town Center mall is 10 minutes away. Clayton is 20-25 minutes south of us. Wake Forest is 15 minutes NW of us. 540 runs by us.

This is a very quiet and safe town.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
Raleighlass-exactly what I was thinking.I think Clayton and Wendell would be too country for the OP.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Raleighlass-exactly what I was thinking.I think Clayton and Wendell would be too country for the OP.
Thanks Knightdale really is a nice small town on the edge of Raleigh so it is close to all kinds of amenities. And, we have residents here from all over the place and from many countries. It's a pretty diverse community which surprises some people. In my cul de sac there are 5 houses. And four of us homeowners are from other countries.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have a limited experience with Garner. If you are living in a non-HOA community, you are working from home, and you do not have kids, you are going to have to make an effort to meet people. I don't think the "welcoming committee" concept is automatic in a non-HOA community.

I'd suggest they best way to meet compatible people is to join a swim club, gym or a running team if you are into sports. Or join a civic organization or church.

At any rate, here are some earlier comments on Garner: Info about Garner and surrounding areas.
We know how to meet people, we have no problems with that. That's the least of our concerns. We want to be welcomed, even if we are more liberally minded than the general population.

Last edited by Jane0218; 09-26-2014 at 11:04 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies so far! It's so helpful for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Garner is in a great location and cheaper than most of the Triangle, but is also less "sophisticated", as it were, by the standards you're talking about. It would be more like Lake Royale than you would probably like, I suspect.
Consider Pittsboro if you're interested in Jordan Lake. You'd be near Chapel Hill & Durham but not paying the prices of Chapel Hill, and near Jordan Lake.
Wendell is both too "country" and too far from the things you'd probably be interested in. Clayton is getting a lot of transplants, but I think it's mostly suburban growth, similar to Cary, Wake Forest, etc. And I do think the road construction will affect things there.
If you don't have children, look into Durham county, maybe northern Durham? People generally aren't fond of the Durham schools but that is moot for you, and I think the taxes are lower there than Wake or Orange. The older suburbs north of 85 should be less expensive than downtown or SW Durham, but there is so much cool stuff in Durham, especially if you don't need to worry about schools.
I'm not sure what you mean by less sophisticated regarding Garner. Can you explain that for me?

I checked Pittsboro, and it maps at around 42 minutes to drive from there to the Crabtree Valley Mall in North Raleigh. I'm using that mall as a central point for places I'll be wanting to go to. I also will want to visit Wake Forest, I think. It's possible many of the stores in North Raleigh and Wake Forest have been built and opened south of Raleigh. From Clayton, it maps at about 30 mins, and around 26 mins from Wendell.

Having several options for fitness centers will be something we'll both want. I think Pittsboro is too far away from everything. I'd like to be in the middle of near the middle of shopping, fitness, colleges.

When I lived in NC, I read a lot about crime in all of Durham except southern Durham. Even if that's not true, we would like to be closer to all the retail areas in northern Raleigh and Wake Forest.

In what way do you feel the road construction will affect Wendell (I think that's what you meant, that it would affect Wendell, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you may be right about Wendell being too 'country.' I don't see as much development there as in Clayton or Garner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Good suggestion, especially if the OP is looking for liberal or progressive neighbors.
Yeah, that's part of our dilemma. We can't afford to move anyplace we want to, and are trying to find a place we can afford, and won't be as isolated as Bunn/ Lake Royale were. The trip from Lake Royale into Raleigh was all highway, no places to stop on the way, no towns per se. Pretty much the same traveling from Lake Royale to Wake Forest. Very isolating, similar to where we are now.

To us, it doesn't look like Garner or Clayton are as isolated from what I call 'civilizaton' as Lake Royale is. Am I wrong about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You need to check out Knightdale. We have some nice subdivisions and as you'll work from home, no worries about commuting. We are close enough to downtown Raleigh 15 minutes on weekends. Where you'll find theater, Arts, comedy club, and all kinds of events. Knightdale has decent shopping - Target, Dicks Sporting Goods, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Kirkland, Home Depot, Kohls, etc.. As well as medical clinics, vets, and small businesses. We also have a new park linked to the Raleigh greenway system, have the Neuse River here for canoeing, and have an amphitheater that's almost built.
Also, Triangle Town Center mall is 10 minutes away. Clayton is 20-25 minutes south of us. Wake Forest is 15 minutes NW of us. 540 runs by us.

This is a very quiet and safe town.
I'm glad I asked about Knightdale! Thanks for your reply . I saw that there is a lot more retail there than when we lived in NC. I'm not sure if it's in our budget to buy there, I'll check that out. I really want to be able to swim in natural water, it's been years and years, that's why I mentioned Jordan Lake. We don't have to live near Jordan Lake, I was asking about it because of what I saw on the map.

I'll be out a lot, not at home all the time. I think I should have put that in my first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Clayton too? Too country in what way? There are different versions of 'country' so I'm not sure what you mean. It has several fitness centers within city limits, and a couple grocery stores, pharmacies. Is the town economically depressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Thanks Knightdale really is a nice small town on the edge of Raleigh so it is close to all kinds of amenities. And, we have residents here from all over the place and from many countries. It's a pretty diverse community which surprises some people. In my cul de sac there are 5 houses. And four of us homeowners are from other countries.
Thanks for this comment, I'll be sure to see if we can afford looking at Knightdale. It would be a great spot to get to most places.

Is it very conservative there? What I mean is are most residents very religious, politically conservative, are people not into seeing anything that is not traditional or conventional? I don't know how else to ask, I don't want to be rude because I believe in "live and let live," except where I can't express myself comfortably. Tough question to ask without offending anyone, I don't mean to do that at all.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
We know how to meet people, we have no problems with that. That's the least of our concerns. We want to be welcomed, even if we are more liberally minded than the general population.
What is your housing budget and what sort of home are you open to buying?

You say you don't want HOA, which mostly puts you either in more rural areas (sounds like you already know you don't want that) or in older homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary