Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM

9 posts, read 21,306 times

Advertisements

I have read quite a few posts on this site where people are asking for advise on 'good' school in Wake County. As many of the replies stated, that answer is really dependent on what you are looking for and what is important to your family. So, with that being said, my question is a little different. Are there any schools in the Wake County System that you would avoid enrolling your child/children in if you were moving into the area? If so, why? I'm asking because we are considering moving to the Triangle and have two children who will be attending public schools. Thanks for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:14 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
are you looking for elementary, middle or high schools?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 AM

My kids are elementary age, so that is my first concern. However, I am hoping this will be our last move, so I am also interested in the middle and high schools as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 AM

475 posts, read 1,305,136 times
Wake County is always reassigning children so its impossible to say what school your children will go year after year. The only way to ensure your children aren't moved every few years is to enroll them in a magnent school.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I am going to put this out there, and people may zing me for it, but based on talking to my friends, and hearing their experiences...........I would not put my children in:

fox road elementary
east millbrook middle school

I don't have many friends with kids in high school, so I don't have any things to base my answers on at this point. I had friends who moved to get out of the fox road elementary school zone. Now, all of that being said, I am sure there are many people happy at those schools..........it is just not something I would do!

Leigh

Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Is there any website our there that could tell me if I move into 'X' neighborhood that my child will go to 'X' school? I know they are always redistricting, but is there a way to find out what school they would go to if they enrolled for the 2008-2009 school year?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 PM

280 posts, read 741,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gr8kds View Post
Is there any website our there that could tell me if I move into 'X' neighborhood that my child will go to 'X' school? I know they are always redistricting, but is there a way to find out what school they would go to if they enrolled for the 2008-2009 school year?
Yes if you have the street name - the wake county schools website will tell you which the base school would be, which magnet schools you can apply to and which school has a traditional calender( if your base school is year - round)
Not sure if I can post the url here but here goes :
Determine School by Student Address

Else just go to wcpss.net and search for "Student assignment finder"

Old 06-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Thank You!!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Speaking from experience, I would definitely advise you to NOT enrol your kids in Dillard Elementary and especially Dillard Middle schools. The lower-preforming highschools in the area area all in eastern Wake County...Eastern Wake in Wendell and Knightdale Highschool in Knightdale. The magent schools are all good, but for the most part, you are NOT going to want to live in any of the areas that are assigned to the magnet schools and would probably opt to live in an area not assigned to the magent school and apply for your kids to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary