Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Self-effacing humor about one's self is hardly gender stereotyping. Folks are getting a bit too worked up about this.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Self-effacing humor about one's self is hardly gender stereotyping. Folks are getting a bit too worked up about this.
I get the author's point. People do bandy around that stereotype of the bumbling man who cannot cook, though.

I might have found this one funny if the guys could cook and the girls were clueless.

I suspect that might not have occurred to them, though. Low-hanging fruit and all.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Guess who made NBC news a few minutes ago? They ran a portion of "All About That Baste" on a piece about Thanksgiving fare(holding down the calories) Love or hate the Holderness family...they're on the move.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:53 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
They actually showed up as a highlight on the Today show earlier this week - it surprised me, because I saw it there before it popped up here! I figured this thread would come soon enough

Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Guess y'all forgot to post this one:

'XMas Jammies' viral video family on their wild year - Holiday Guide - TODAY.com

I think they are funny! Sometimes corny but they make me laugh. Watch it to the end...love seeing the kids having a great time!

Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Guess y'all forgot to post this one:

'XMas Jammies' viral video family on their wild year - Holiday Guide - TODAY.com

I think they are funny! Sometimes corny but they make me laugh. Watch it to the end...love seeing the kids having a great time!
I was rather surprised that nobody posted it already... it's all over my FB feed.

That said, I think this might be advertising. Which isn't allowed on C-D.

Opinions?

(I've not watched it. I did read the transcript of the lyrics earlier today because this "is it or is it not an ad" issue has occurred to me before with their other videos, and I ruled it as minimal impact, but this one speaks a great deal to their new career and their company)

Suffice to say, everyone here knows I'm not remotely a fan, but I do want to be fair.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:49 AM

430 posts, read 626,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's no more advertising on C-D than people discussing what the new Publix sells. I really don't think the intention is to ban the discussion of any commercial enterprise in the area.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I was rather surprised that nobody posted it already... it's all over my FB feed.

Opinions?

(I've not watched it. I did read the transcript of the lyrics earlier today because this "is it or is it not an ad" issue has occurred to me before with their other videos, and I ruled it as minimal impact, but this one speaks a great deal to their new career and their company)

Suffice to say, everyone here knows I'm not remotely a fan, but I do want to be fair.
After reviewing, it strikes me as clear advertisement. I think when in question, protecting the integrity and rules of C-D is fair.

You are a great Mod, so I am sure your decision will be the correct one.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:18 PM

65 posts, read 133,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Self-effacing humor about one's self . . .
This would be from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
It's no more advertising on C-D than people discussing what the new Publix sells. I really don't think the intention is to ban the discussion of any commercial enterprise in the area.
Well, here's the thing... nobody here asks when the new Holderness video is coming out, or where to find a video production company.

People do ask about grocery stores and when stores they like (like Publix) are coming to the area, and that's why those threads aren't advertisements. Make sense?

People like to post about the Holderness family because Penn Holderness is a familiar, local face. This would not be an issue if their videos were absolutely not tied to their production company.

The others weren't so bad, because it was a footnote. This latest one talks about their production company and their new job all the way through it. That was what made me think it might be free advertising to leave it here.

I'll welcome a few more opinions before I make up my mind, but given that I've let the others stay on the site someplace despite the fact that they're not my cup o' cocoa should indicate that my mind is open on this issue.

Thanks for the input, Pixel_Dent. I do appreciate your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary