Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,903,404 times

Advertisements

The chef has decided upon duck for Thanksgiving with ginger apricot sauce and wild rice stuffing. Yum!

So where can we buy a duck for a decent price? He saw at Harris Teeter they were like $7 per pound. He wants to check Whole Foods but surely there is another option.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:48 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
The chef has decided upon duck for Thanksgiving with ginger apricot sauce and wild rice stuffing. Yum!

So where can we buy a duck for a decent price? He saw at Harris Teeter they were like $7 per pound. He wants to check Whole Foods but surely there is another option.......
Are you near an Asian or Chinese food store? EG, the Grand Asia Market on Buck Jones Road says it has duck.

I once thought about duck for Thanksgiving, but did not want to pay the HT price.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:34 AM

Good idea! Thanks! I will investigate.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:24 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Grand Asia FOR SURE. Frozen ducks from several different companies and varieties. Best of all, they havecFRESH ducks. About $4-5/lb??? But be warned: when you release these guys from they plastic wrap and Styrofoam, you'll find the neck, head and feet neatly planted under the body. It was a bit of a shock for me the first time I bought one.

However, I closed my eyes, cutoff the head straight into the garbage, saved the neck and feet in a big baggie. Also in the baggie was any big lumps of fat that i pulled off the uncooked duck. Cooked the duck (delicious and not too fatty, very clean tasting meat).

Leftovers from the first dinner are used for duck tacos, duck stir fry, duck lo mein, duck sandwiches etc.

then I took the carcass and bones and broke the big bones with a mallet. The bones, carcass and contents of the baggie went in the stock pot. Nothing else except water! Simmer for a couple of hours, then strain the solids. Into the fridge, then skim off the duck fat when it's totally separated. That duck fat is gold. On potatoes, in pate, etc and can be frozen for future use.

Now, the duck broth becomes soup. And those nasty looking duck feet and marrow from the broken bones added tons of flavor! Can be frozen at this point. Try a recipe that sounds good to you, but Duck noodle soup is wonderful.

So, 3 meals for two big eaters from one duck PLUS that duck fat.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 PM

5,904 posts, read 6,976,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Are you near an Asian or Chinese food store?
Maybe you can find one that is smiling.

Christmas Story: Smiling at me scene - YouTube

Old 11-28-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Grand Asia FOR SURE. Frozen ducks from several different companies and varieties. Best of all, they havecFRESH ducks. About $4-5/lb??? But be warned: when you release these guys from they plastic wrap and Styrofoam, you'll find the neck, head and feet neatly planted under the body. It was a bit of a shock for me the first time I bought one.

However, I closed my eyes, cutoff the head straight into the garbage, saved the neck and feet in a big baggie. Also in the baggie was any big lumps of fat that i pulled off the uncooked duck. Cooked the duck (delicious and not too fatty, very clean tasting meat).

Leftovers from the first dinner are used for duck tacos, duck stir fry, duck lo mein, duck sandwiches etc.

then I took the carcass and bones and broke the big bones with a mallet. The bones, carcass and contents of the baggie went in the stock pot. Nothing else except water! Simmer for a couple of hours, then strain the solids. Into the fridge, then skim off the duck fat when it's totally separated. That duck fat is gold. On potatoes, in pate, etc and can be frozen for future use.

Now, the duck broth becomes soup. And those nasty looking duck feet and marrow from the broken bones added tons of flavor! Can be frozen at this point. Try a recipe that sounds good to you, but Duck noodle soup is wonderful.

So, 3 meals for two big eaters from one duck PLUS that duck fat.
OMG I can't believe I didn't read this before we went shopping!

Grand Asia Market was super cool and I want to go back soon. They have so many unusual things (yes, some of them are totally gross! It is hard to imagine how hungry you would have to be to have some of that stuff become part of your food culture). So the fresh duck was $3.59 a pound and we bought a 5 lb duck.

sure enough, when the chef took it out of the wrap, exactly as you described, he shrieked like a girl.

He was annoyed that we paid $3.59 for a pound of head and feet that no one is going to eat. He will never go back to Grand Asia Market again. He is no claiming that the duck at HT was the same price (although it was frozen).

The 4 pounds of duck that remained were cooked to perfection and were DELICIOUS and between the two of us there were no leftovers to be had.

AND I forwarded the Christmas Story duck clip to him. Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary