Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 AM

7 posts, read 28,866 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start out by saying this is a great forum. This is my first post and I'm excited to read the replies. I'm another Northeasterner moving to the Triangle area and just recently purchased a new home down there. Unfortunately, I won't be moving in immediately. We should be down there permanently by the end of Jan. Now, I woke up this morning in the NE and it was 5 degrees outside and I had to pry my car door open. Do temperatures dip that low in central NC? My concern, and the point of this post, is that since we won't be living in the home for a couple of weeks, should we head down to winterize it doing things like insulating pipes, shutting off the main water supply, etc.? Not knowing the area or the weather conditions I wasn't sure if I was being unnecessarily worrisome or if it makes sense to drive down this weekend and start winterizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodys4me View Post
I'd like to start out by saying this is a great forum. This is my first post and I'm excited to read the replies. I'm another Northeasterner moving to the Triangle area and just recently purchased a new home down there. Unfortunately, I won't be moving in immediately. We should be down there permanently by the end of Jan. Now, I woke up this morning in the NE and it was 5 degrees outside and I had to pry my car door open. Do temperatures dip that low in central NC? My concern, and the point of this post, is that since we won't be living in the home for a couple of weeks, should we head down to winterize it doing things like insulating pipes, shutting off the main water supply, etc.? Not knowing the area or the weather conditions I wasn't sure if I was being unnecessarily worrisome or if it makes sense to drive down this weekend and start winterizing.
It is suppose to be 60 degrees Monday, so the weather tends to go up and down. Now, that being said, I would always suggest turning the water off when you are going to be gone for a long period of time (this comes from experience with my mom's house while she was gone for a month and the pipes burst.........). So, if you can get someone to at least turn the water off, that would be a good idea.

Leigh

Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM

148 posts, read 676,902 times
Supposed to be 17 degrees tonight, our neighbors pipes froze last night - but back up into the mid 50's next week........

Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times
Having lived here my entire life, I can tell you the weather tends to change every ten minutes. Temps in the single digits, though not common, DO happen, so if you're not going to be in your new home for some time, I would try and have someone come over and turn the main off. Wise idea any time you are away from home for an extended amount of time, actually....

Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
Welcome! Its really hard to tell if and when it will freeze. I attached the NC State climate website which will show you normal temperature ranged around the state during the different seasons. I too came from the NE and this is nothing like that during the winter. However, it does get cold and can dip into single digits or lower in rare occasions. I guess the best advise I can offer is if your questioning if you should or not it may make sense just to do it so you don't have to worry about. I seen some apartment complexes in my area that have their signs up saying there is a freeze warning and to leave your facets dipping to avoid a pipe freeze.

State Climate Office of North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary